What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Overpaying to bring Mike back will probably involve a long deal at too much money. I envision something like 3 years and $20 per year. Ridiculous money.

We already have overpaid Favors. Overpaid Rudy. We really going to invest $70+ million a year on those 3?

I know Conley is a B asset, but I would take two C assets for him that are younger.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
As it relates to Conley I really don’t worry about what I paid to Favs or Rudy... those are sunk costs.

I just think a return of Kuzma or Josh Richardson is pretty modest. I think that’s what you’d end up with... and I don’t see those as superior assets or players. Would I prefer them to nothing? Of course. Conley on a 3/60 is not ideal but if his issue does get better (it has happened before) or if we manage it really well then he raises the ceiling of the team the next two years more than others.

If there was an amazing sign and trade move that gets us a solid young guy with a couple years left on a modest deal then I’d go for it. I know you think Kuzma is that but the closer I look at him the more i am convinced he’s not it and that I’m not sure his salary is worth it. I don’t think we can expect to get picks in a deal for him either involving Conley or Bojan.

If you keep him then I think you look to other places for the pivot trade. It’s not ideal but that’s my plan A...does plan B end up better? It will have a lot to do with luck imo. I guess I’m fine with either... walking for nothing is the one that absolutely hoses us.

What do we do if we don’t have Mike though? I wish Ryan Smith would have bought the Jazz a couple years earlier. Guys like Neto would still be here.

*Sam Cassell.
Wait… maybe it’s not Sam Cassell. The whole series I thought it was and thought he was looking a little old. Googling recent pictures he doesn’t appear to be that old appearing.

Yeah. That makes sense. But you know what would have made even more sense? Not letting him leave so that you have the privilege of paying NWG more in the hopes that he develops into Neto.
BUT THEN CUTTING NWG AT THE FIRST SIGN HE MIGHT ACTUALLY BE A PLAYER

NWG was never going to be a viable player and it was always obvious. Dennis deserves plenty of criticism for ridiculous crap he did.

I’d do this because our window is now (well, yesterday, really, but you know what I mean). We aren’t getting this close again in a while.

Yeah. That makes sense. But you know what would have made even more sense? Not letting him leave so that you have the privilege of paying NWG more in the hopes that he develops into Neto.
Remember the scene in elf when the two failing writers come in and suggest to the CEO they bring in a good writer with a ready made idea. That’s what this reminds me of for some reason.

The mega all teh way in option is kinda what I’d like to see... if it blows up you can still flip re-signed Dort later when it’s tanking time. There is some certainty in having the pick unprotected instead of limited... you might give away something super valuable but knowing the timing of that helps plan the new timeline. It’s also possible he becomes something awesome and Presti gets like the 28th pick for him (I wouldn’t give reverse protections on the pick for them... they can have it unprotected or we go elsewhere).

Problem is of course if they don’t go for it there aren’t tanking teams that have the ability to take salary and give back cheap productive parts... so that is the challenge. There also might be desperate teams like Portland that outbid is. Anyway... that’s the type of thing I consider.

Kinda like the timing of when they gave up on Bradley... Wait after he showed you exactly what you’d expect out a player like him you decide he needs to be salary dumped... you decided last year when he’d shown you nothing that you’d pick up that option.

NWG is not it though... I would rather have him than Thomas though.

Kinda like the timing of when they gave up on Bradley... Wait after he showed you exactly what you’d expect out a player like him you decide he needs to be salary dumped... you decided last year when he’d shown you nothing that you’d pick up that option.

NWG is not it though... I would rather have him than Thomas though.
Dennis, at this point, has to be seen as just getting really lucky in drafting Rudy and Mitchell. Most every other decision or move has been complete garbage.

Two huge hits in Mitchell and Gobert have covered a multitude of sins and just plain dumbassery.

The other thing on that TJ article... he says we didn’t pursue Batum... I seem to remember a bunch of folks saying “how do you know we didn’t try?” I don’t know but I know we miss out on a lot of deals we should be in on... and now Tony just gave us an example of when they should be aggressive... and they didn’t try... so excuse me next time I lolz that they say they were aggressive but didn’t get anything done.

As it relates to Conley I really don’t worry about what I paid to Favs or Rudy... those are sunk costs.

I just think a return of Kuzma or Josh Richardson is pretty modest. I think that’s what you’d end up with... and I don’t see those as superior assets or players. Would I prefer them to nothing? Of course. Conley on a 3/60 is not ideal but if his issue does get better (it has happened before) or if we manage it really well then he raises the ceiling of the team the next two years more than others.

If there was an amazing sign and trade move that gets us a solid young guy with a couple years left on a modest deal then I’d go for it. I know you think Kuzma is that but the closer I look at him the more i am convinced he’s not it and that I’m not sure his salary is worth it. I don’t think we can expect to get picks in a deal for him either involving Conley or Bojan.

If you keep him then I think you look to other places for the pivot trade. It’s not ideal but that’s my plan A...does plan B end up better? It will have a lot to do with luck imo. I guess I’m fine with either... walking for nothing is the one that absolutely hoses us.
We have had two years of Conley and he let us down both years. Both years he has hobbled into the postseason. He's been injury prone for years now. I don't trust 3 years and $60 million.

I feel like we have to gamble on a guy with the tools who just might be in the wrong place. Look how Batum was sleep walking in Charlotte. I begged for consideration to be given to trade for him. I knew he had talent.

Kuzma has load of talent. Loads. He's unhappy in a bad fit place. He's a 25 year old 6'10" PF who has improved on defense and can shoot the 3. He's a good rebounder.

I think we could get Kuzma PLUS assets for either Conley or Bojan. It's risky, but worth it.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Dennis, at this point, has to be seen as just getting really lucky in drafting Rudy and Mitchell. Most every other decision or move has been complete garbage.

Two huge hits in Mitchell and Gobert have covered a multitude of sins and just plain dumbassery.
I’m glad Dennis is gone, but I hope Zanick has a different mindset, and I hope Smith bolsters the front office with a more aggressive team. I wish he’d get on with it so we know where we’re headed. I want the new front office to have input on draft decisions and such.

The other thing on that TJ article... he says we didn’t pursue Batum... I seem to remember a bunch of folks saying “how do you know we didn’t try?” I don’t know but I know we miss out on a lot of deals we should be in on... and now Tony just gave us an example of when they should be aggressive... and they didn’t try... so excuse me next time I lolz that they say they were aggressive but didn’t get anything done.
The DL FO was not aggressive. They were conservative and reactive.

They are too scared of trying to be great, because we’d be putting being “good” at risk. It’s the approach of “erring towards continuity.”

It’s why we overpaid to bring Fav back. It’s why Raul Neto will sign with the Jazz this offseason (I am not critical of this particular move, by the way). Too much gravity to the safe and familiar.

It’s why this franchise nearly always has and always will be a Playoff team, but never a champion.

“You probably would have missed 100% of the shots you didn’t take, so save your efforts and energy and keep the powder dry.”

-DL

The DL FO was not aggressive. They were conservative and reactive.

They are too scared of trying to be great, because we’d be putting being “good” at risk. It’s the approach of “erring towards continuity.”

It’s why we overpaid to bring Fav back. It’s why Raul Neto will sign with the Jazz this offseason (I am not critical of this particular move, by the way). Too much gravity to the safe and familiar.

It’s why this franchise nearly always has and always will be a Playoff team, but never a champion.
Neto and Rudy are buds. Raul had a 25 point game for the Wiz this season, so he is someone who probably has Quin's trust.

Trade Ingles for Larry Nance Jr. He can play the 4 and 5. He is long, athletic and one of the top defenders in the league. He can also stretch the floor. I love Joe but I think he is about to burn himself out.

Trade Ingles for Larry Nance Jr. He can play the 4 and 5. He is long, athletic and one of the top defenders in the league. He can also stretch the floor. I love Joe but I think he is about to burn himself out.
Why does Cleveland do that?