What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Great people of Texas

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
Yeah, a lot of Texans are trash. I dont pretend otherwise lmao.

Least vaccinated state is Alabama lmao

They have a number of rounds of their drafts. I don't know the specifics, but when teams lose starting players, they are compensated by getting an extra 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th rounder depending on the quality and contract of the lost player.

I think this only works if the NBA went to a 3 round setup instead of a 2.

They could have compensatory picks after first round... I also think the acquiring team could be required to give their next two available firsts (unprotected) if they sign an all-star away from a team. For a team that has picks out multiple years already it just comes in the first available draft.

Yeah, a lot of Texans are trash. I dont pretend otherwise lmao.

Least vaccinated state is Alabama lmao
There are trashy people in every state. Racists in every state. Trashy people in every fanbase. You're a great example of one in the Utah Jazz fan base.

You are really educating us here through example today Cy.

There are trashy people in every state. Racists in every state. Trashy people in every fanbase. You're a great example of one in the Utah Jazz fan base.

You are really educating us here through example today Cy.

Hope you got vaxxed Lopo. Be careful in Bama. It's the new Covid hotbed.

They could have compensatory picks after first round... I also think the acquiring team could be required to give their next two available firsts (unprotected) if they sign an all-star away from a team. For a team that has picks out multiple years already it just comes in the first available draft.
Thats MLB right? NFL doesn't do compensatory until 3rd round right?

Because our system works in the regular season. We've had historically bad defensive breakdowns two seasons in a row in the playoffs. The defense is not built for the playoffs and is very easily exploitable.
Eh, I have seen it work in the playoffs as well. Worked against the rockets (a great offense) in the playoffs. (Our offense let us down)
Worked against the thunder too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

In the regular season... for several years the defense has been ****** in the playoffs. The swing is pretty wild... Bucks defense was actually much better in the playoffs than in the regular season... there is a difference. Our defense went from Lakers, Suns, Bucks level in the regular season to Wizards, Nuggets, Mavs levels in the playoffs.
Depended on the opponent. I have seen our defense work just fine in the playoffs and I have seen our defense struggle in the playoffs. Just like basically every team. Teams in the playoffs are better so even great defenses will struggle at times in the playoffs. There are some really good offensive teams that typically make the playoffs.
Memphis was said to have a great defense.... Until they ran into the jazz. Same thing with the clippers. I would have loved to see the bucks try to stop the jazz offense. I don't think they could.

Depended on the opponent. I have seen our defense work just fine in the playoffs and I have seen our defense struggle in the playoffs. Just like basically every team. Teams in the playoffs are better so even great defenses will struggle at times in the playoffs. There are some really good offensive teams that typically make the playoffs.
Memphis was said to have a great defense.... Until they ran into the jazz. Same thing with the clippers. I would have loved to see the bucks try to stop the jazz offense. I don't think they could.

Against Houston we were good I guess. That series wasn’t particularly close though so not sure I read into it a ton. Our defense hasn’t been just bad but it’s been really bad… if it went from good to average that’d be another story… it goes from good to bad though. The most recent playoff series shouldn’t be ignored. Teams aren’t building strategies based on things that looked okay 3 years ago.

Eh, I have seen it work in the playoffs as well. Worked against the rockets (a great offense) in the playoffs. (Our offense let us down)
Worked against the thunder too.

That was a bit different though. Against the Rockets and Thunder we were more built for defense with Favs and Rudy both in the starting lineup, Rubio, Crowder, and Exum. Now we're built for offense with Bogey, Conley, Clarkson and Niang. Also, Joe and Favors were better defensively back then than they are now. The defense has been really bad in the playoffs the last two seasons.

That was a bit different though. Against the Rockets and Thunder we were more built for defense with Favs and Rudy both in the starting lineup, Rubio, Crowder, and Exum. Now we're built for offense with Bogey, Conley, Clarkson and Niang. Those guy's are all upgrades offensively but downgrades defensively. The defense has been really bad in the playoffs the last two seasons.
The discussion was about quins system though. Like someone was saying that even with great defenders our defense would still suck cause of quin.
I have seen our defense be great in the playoffs, and I have seen it be great in the regular season. I have seen it be bad in the regular season. I have seen it be bad in the playoffs.

Defense is much more difficult to be consistently dominant at in today's game. Today's game favors offense imo.

Does an Aminu/Favors swap seem realistic to anyone?

Bulls currently have no backup center signed for 21/22 season. They do have Thad Young, who plays small ball center for them (I think?), but Theis and Felicio are UFA's this off-season. There is a need there. They may see Aminu as being redundant to Young.

Aminu is coming off a pretty disappointing year. The upside is that he would fill a need (defensive 4/3 who could maybe play smallball against the Marcus Morris types) and his contract is up after this season as opposed to Favors who would have one extra year. I think this deal could get done on a straight up basis if both teams wanted. I could see Utah not being interested though and just wanting straight up cap relief so they can escape the large LT payment and just sign an Aminu-like player on the cheap.

The discussion was about quins system though. Like someone was saying that even with great defenders our defense would still suck cause of quin.
I have seen our defense be great in the playoffs, and I have seen it be great in the regular season. I have seen it be bad in the regular season. I have seen it be bad in the playoffs.

Defense is much more difficult to be consistently dominant at in today's game. Today's game favors offense imo.

Teams have adjusted to drop big though... its effective at times. It can be the base system too... but you have to have a credible alternative if someone is able to pull rudy from the paint. Things change fast. Lakers, Bucks, Suns, and 76ers defense all stayed about the same... their opponents were good too. Our defensive rating went from 108 to 122... a -14 is really rough. Better defenders will certainly help... as will adjustments.

Does an Aminu/Favors swap seem realistic to anyone?

Bulls currently have no backup center signed for 21/22 season. They do have Thad Young, who plays small ball center for them (I think?), but Theis and Felicio are UFA's this off-season. There is a need there. They may see Aminu as being redundant to Young.

Aminu is coming off a pretty disappointing year. The upside is that he would fill a need (defensive 4/3 who could maybe play smallball against the Marcus Morris types) and his contract is up after this season as opposed to Favors who would have one extra year. I think this deal could get done on a straight up basis if both teams wanted. I could see Utah not being interested though and just wanting straight up cap relief so they can escape the large LT payment and just sign an Aminu-like player on the cheap.
Maybe. Chicago is a little wonky because the rumors suggest they want to use cap space on a pg... to get cap space they need to waive Theis' cap hold and likely waive Satoransky who is $5M guaranteed. A better route to space would have them waive and stretch Aminu but they likely wait to do that. Favs for Aminu seems fair enough... if he sucks you could likely find a team with excess cap space to take him at the deadline for minimal assets or you could take on a longer deal but with a lower annual value to avoid some tax. Its something I looked at as possible.

Maybe. Chicago is a little wonky because the rumors suggest they want to use cap space on a pg... to get cap space they need to waive Theis' cap hold and likely waive Satoransky who is $5M guaranteed. A better route to space would have them waive and stretch Aminu but they likely wait to do that. Favs for Aminu seems fair enough... if he sucks you could likely find a team with excess cap space to take him at the deadline for minimal assets or you could take on a longer deal but with a lower annual value to avoid some tax. Its something I looked at as possible.
Yeah, Chicago is the same team who paid Cristian Felicio 8 million per year, so it could happen.

Teams have adjusted to drop big though... its effective at times. It can be the base system too... but you have to have a credible alternative if someone is able to pull rudy from the paint. Things change fast. Lakers, Bucks, Suns, and 76ers defense all stayed about the same... their opponents were good too. Our defensive rating went from 108 to 122... a -14 is really rough. Better defenders will certainly help... as will adjustments.
If teams attacked our drop coverage I think we would do just fine. LAC just dominated us by simply not involving Gobert in the action.

Gobert had to come over no matter what because everyone is a traffic cone and it was free wide open shots because there is no concept of rotating outside of Gobert in our defense.

It really showed how pathetic our defensive principles are. I think half the reason everyone gets cooked so easily on the perimeter is because we allowed it all year because it was fine with Rudy back there. It’s a god damn mess out there. No one capable/willing to stay in front of their man. Only one player on the roster who has the responsibility to rotate. Everyone else in the “stay home” mindset.

Just abysmal. Reason number one for our defensive failures is these principles that Quin has established over the years. No matter who the personnel is, this is a failing strategy.

Yeah, Chicago is the same team who paid Cristian Felicio 8 million per year, so it could happen.
I think they may waive and stretch both Sato and Aminu... if they strike out and Theis has moved on I think they definitely would do Favs for Aminu.

I think they may waive and stretch both Sato and Aminu... if they strike out and Theis has moved on I think they definitely would do Favs for Aminu.
Sato is only guaranteed for $5 million or they pay him $10 million to play.

Maybe they do Sato for Favors if they are just thinking about dumping Sato.

Doubt they are considering that though.