What's new

Jazz Pre-Draft Camps and Workouts

I've been wondering the same thing. He has to have a promise.

A promise. Lock it up.

Taylormays.jpg

The reason I don't want Henry at #9 is he doesn't project as a great scorer. I just don't feel like you draft perimeter players in the top-10 with this many bigs unless the perimeter player projects as formidable offensive threat (either as a shot-creator, or as an elite off-the-ball threat [Johnson]).

Xavier Henry actually was the bigger threat off the ball between him and Johnson. If you look at the breakdown, Henry shot the 3 ball at a better rate than Johnson while he's also a Freshman that can score. Not to mention, Henry actually got to the line unlike Wesley Johnson. If anything, Henry isn't that far behind Wesley Johnson and would be better @ #9 than picking Wesley Johnson @ #4 or #5.

Walt Perrin was on ksl last night, he said the jazz have two more upcoming workouts this week. He didn't say who was coming or if anyone was coming back for a second workout.

Thanks for the info. I'll bet most are prospective 2nd rounders. If they bring someone back, I'll bet it's to try and fake out the other teams. But ya never know. Didn't they kind of sneak Ronnie B. in for just an interview but no workout?

Looked at Brackins 2008-09 match-up against Cole Aldrich-- 42 points, 21 foul shots, 3-5 three pointers, and 14 rebounds.

Wow, no wonder he was a projected lottery pick in 2009, and there is no-way he is avaiable at the Jazz 2nd round pick.

Xavier Henry actually was the bigger threat off the ball between him and Johnson. If you look at the breakdown, Henry shot the 3 ball at a better rate than Johnson while he's also a Freshman that can score. Not to mention, Henry actually got to the line unlike Wesley Johnson. If anything, Henry isn't that far behind Wesley Johnson and would be better @ #9 than picking Wesley Johnson @ #4 or #5.

I get your point but can Henry defend like Johnson? Extremely unlikely given his supposed mediocre lateral quickness. Can he pass or rebound like Johnson? No. Can he fill up the stat sheets with steals and blocked shots too? No.

I get your point but can Henry defend like Johnson? Extremely unlikely given his supposed mediocre lateral quickness. Can he pass or rebound like Johnson? No. Can he fill up the stat sheets with steals and blocked shots too? No.

How do you know Johnson can defend? The guy played in Syracuse's 2-3 zone where he could camp out on a wing and go get rebounds. We don't even know if Wesley Johnson actually has fundamentals down for man to man D and then to box out his guy. You bring up lateral quickness, yet Henry had one of the better lane agility scores from the combine, while Johnson didn't exactly wow in that drill. Henry and Johnson's passing abilities are on the same level, these guys will both be primarily spot up shooters in Utah anyways, both will be fine running Sloan's offense on the wings too. Wesley Johnson was a SF and he played in a zone defense on the bottom while Henry was a guard that played on the perimeter. Can you really say Wesley Johnson would be that much better of a rebounder if he was put in Henry's position @ Kansas, a team that has superior rebounders as a team than 'Cuse did? Also Xavier Henry has a higher steals rate out of a man to man defense, where he didn't exactly have the ability to roam as much. Sure, Johnson gets blocks from the weakside, but I don't exactly want one of my swingman sneaking over to try to get weakside blocks when you see so many NBA team's loaded with 3pt shooters these days. When you look into it, Johnson really isn't that much better now as it is but look at the age difference. Johnson will be turning 23 by the end of Summer League while Henry barely turned 19 in March. Henry obviously has more upside to fill at this point and he's already really polished as it is for a freshman. Johnson just wouldn't be worth trading up for when you could get a equally talented prospect, that more than likely will end up being better.

The Clippers posted some of their workout footage--

* There's an Ed Davis sighting on the first pge, as you can se him working out, shooting mid-range, with quite a few misses.

* On the 2nd page, you can see Babbit is missing a good number of his 20' jumpers. You can also see some video of Babbit running some drills.

* On the 3rd page, there's more footage with Whiteside blocking a guard and dunking on the other end of the floor.

* 3rd page has some Udoh footage too.

Jazz need to jump on 5 (or 6 if they feel the Kings will draft Monroe). AK + #9 for Nocioni + Garcia + #5 makes plenty of sense for both teams (Garcia is a good ballhandler, passer, and a very good shooter, Nocioni is the Argentinian Harpring).

Any update on the Perrin comment re: future workouts scheduled for the Jazz?
Would be interesting to know if they're bringing in guys projected to go late 1st.