What's new

Jazz Select Olivier Hanlan

I watched the press conference, and it turns out Olivier speaks french.

That could be some sort of positive I suppose. Him and Rudy could form a friendship or something. Make Rudy a little more comfortable.

Han Solo and the Wookie.

Most likely means Cotton's NBA career is over.

Kind of wish Cotton would be traded out of Utah. Clearly, the most talented PG on your roster and the fans just seem to dismiss him. He should be starting on your team instead of now having to battle a much inferior Hanlan for 3rd string.

Hanlan's shot release reminds me of Curry's. Not saying they are the same player.
Just is a great benefit to have a quick release when your a good shooter and scorer.
I really hope they trade Trey so we just have Hanlan and Cotton.
Hurts me to say that as a Michigan fan and someone who has been wrong about Burke.

Super excited about this kid. Watching highlights of him and he reminds me of Deron Williams before the injuries. I think he's going to be a player.

I didn't know much at the time so haven't commented. After a little bit of research I am encouraged. He's already been playing both guard spots, and he has been very productive since he got there in addition to playing in a strong conference. I'm not worried about BC's record because they had an otherwise terrible roster and he's a 2nd rounder for god's sake. He also comes from a mold unlike most of the roster in that he's just a pure scorer and the Jazz could probably use an instant-offense guy if he translates. I also like that he's an underclassman. I also like his size as others have mentioned. No downside, all upside. Into it.

One thing about this idea that he's Burke-esque: I'm wary of believing that he's a better prospect overall because Burke's résumé was so strong, but one thing is for certain; Hanlan FINISHES. That was always a question mark for Burke. The players are very different in that regard.

I didn't know much at the time so haven't commented. After a little bit of research I am encouraged. He's already been playing both guard spots, and he has been very productive since he got there in addition to playing in a strong conference. I'm not worried about BC's record because they had an otherwise terrible roster and he's a 2nd rounder for god's sake. He also comes from a mold unlike most of the roster in that he's just a pure scorer and the Jazz could probably use an instant-offense guy if he translates. I also like that he's an underclassman. I also like his size as others have mentioned. No downside, all upside. Into it.

One thing about this idea that he's Burke-esque: I'm wary of believing that he's a better prospect overall because Burke's résumé was so strong, but one thing is for certain; Hanlan FINISHES. That was always a question mark for Burke. The players are very different in that regard.

Pretty nice that he was efficient while still having a really high usage.

I don't really know much about the different conferences in college ball, or about college ball in general really. But why is it that someone like Damian Lillard can put up good numbers in what i understand is a poor conference and then gain lots of attention when someone like Hanlan can put up similar (close enough) numbers on a poor team in the ACC which is supposed to be quite good and be completely off the radar?

Is it simply that stats are pretty meaningless when looking at this?

And no I'm not really trying to compare the two players directly, just the situations they were in.

Leading the conference in scoring is one thing, leading the nation in scoring like Lillard did for much of the season got him attention and still he wasn't really well known as top prospect until later in his senior season. Anyways about Hanlan I really like the kid. He's got shooting range and ability to get in the paint and draw contact(averaged 7 FTA last season) and score. Being 22 I think will help early on, he is the same age as Burke and him working in the past with Steve Nash on the Canadian U19 team can't hurt.

I also like his size as others have mentioned. No downside, all upside. Into it.

He's a good 4" taller than "the little engine that couldn't" so there's that. Not that a 6'4" guy is going to make a living going against the trees inside, but Trey can't protect the ball and needs to rely on the floater. He was getting better at that, but still too inconsistent. Burke COULD be a decent player if he just acknowledged his limitations. He needs to stop going 1-on-3 and learn to pass off the drive. But that's a lot to ask as he's been a ball hog since the day he arrived.

Let's hope Hanlan realizes we've got some pretty good players around him.

Burke COULD be a decent player if he just acknowledged his limitations.

Well he could still be a decent scorer in this league, regardless if he is aware if it or not he's still a inefficient shooting guard trapped in a point guards body. That may work on some teams but not ours.

Well he could still be a decent scorer in this league, regardless if he is aware if it or not he's still a inefficient shooting guard trapped in a point guards body. That may work on some teams but not ours.
I don't think too many teams would let him fire away like he does in Utah. I don't think Utah is going to let him fire away this season; the bench will be deeper and Quin is likely not going to tolerate a <40% player to shoot us out of games.

We'll see how long it takes before Quin starts going to Cotton and/or Hanlan. I think BOTH of those guys make the team, even if Trey isn't traded. Because Trey WILL be traded at some point and Hanlan/Cotton would fit nicely as the 2nd and 3rd PG's once Burke is gone.

Kind of wish Cotton would be traded out of Utah. Clearly, the most talented PG on your roster and the fans just seem to dismiss him. He should be starting on your team instead of now having to battle a much inferior Hanlan for 3rd string.
If he's really the most talented pg on the roster, then it won't be much of a battle, will it?

Burke COULD be a decent player if he just acknowledged his limitations. He needs to stop going 1-on-3 and learn to pass off the drive. But that's a lot to ask as he's been a ball hog since the day he arrived.

If Burke can reinvent himself into a player that fills this role then he'll stick in the NBA. Otherwise I think he should enjoy one more year of an NBA paycheck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hello, all. Just another Boston College alum here to join the chorus singing the praises of Olivier Hanlan. I saw about half of the games he played in college, and I'm excited to continue tracking his career as a member of the Jazz (I'm a die-hard Pacers fan, but the Jazz have been my Western Conference favorite since the mid-90s). As was stated numerous times elsewhere in this thread, Hanlan was pretty much asked to do it all at BC. Our previous coach, Steve Donahue, wasn't able to recruit a lot of talent to Chestnut Hill, but Hanlan's play was a bright spot in an otherwise dreary several years on the Heights. It was clear from Day 1 that Hanlan was the best guy on the roster, and opposing defenses reacted accordingly. And on some nights it simply didn't matter. He had a lot of great games (ten threes on route to a record 41 points in his first ACC Tourney appearance), hit some clutch baskets, and was by all accounts a great guy both in the locker room and around campus. I don't know that he'll make the team given the talent the Jazz already have in the backcourt, but I think he could find a spot in the league as a offensive spark off the bench. In my opinion, he has a better feel for the game - in that he knows his strengths and weaknesses - than our last NBA prospect, Reggie Jackson, but obviously Hanlan doesn't have the same super athleticism that made Jackson such a highly-touted draft prospect back in 2011. I'll make sure to watch his debut in y'all's new summer league next month.

If Burke can reinvent himself into a player that fills this role then he'll stick in the NBA. Otherwise I think he should enjoy one more year of an NBA paycheck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Someone will take a chance on him if Utah doesn't offer a new contract. I see no problem with keeping 4 PG's on the roster for now. Hanlan can play in the DLeague until Utah needs him.

Barring any trades or free agent signings/losses, I see the Jazz keeping:
5 bigs (Gobert, Favors, Booker, Lyles, Pleiss)
5 wings (Hayward, Burks, Hood, Ingles, Millsap)
4 PG's (Exum, Burke, Cotton, Hanlan)

That leaves a "wild card" spot that can be kept open or used for someone like Cooley, Motum, Johnson, Saunders, Jerrett, etc.

This team is starting to get VERY deep. We're entering the territory of having some players who COULD be contributors having to go elsewhere because there just isn't a spot, just like what happened last year with Jingles and the Clippers.

Hanlan is probably also going to push Exum. He'll give Exum a wake up call and force him to work harder. It's healthy overall.

Exum surpassed Burke last year without showing a whole lot of game. The standard needs to be raised.