What's new

Jazz select Udoka Azubuike with pick 27 & trade Tony Bradley + pick 38 to the Pistons

Really... which unskilled big guy has lead his team to a title? Udoka isn't better than Robert Williams who became unplayable.
We aren’t asking a big man to “lead” us to a championship. Mitchell is that leader. But if you think our best chances of winning is to trade Gobert and go small then you’re going to be sorely mistaken.

Houston has had nearly a decade of small ball with the greatest cast of small ball players and coaches around. It hasn’t worked out.

If we think Mitchell, Snyder, and the Jazz will have greater success than Harden, D’Antoni, And the Rockets then good luck to ya.

Huh? That’s not even a valid comparison.

The wings in the late first round were just as risky as the wing we took in the second round. We upgraded our frontline while adding a wing just as dependable as anyone else. Why are people bitching?

and I love how you avoided my other questions.
I didn't avoid anything... its perfectly valid comparison... I'd take multiple perimeter prospects. The Hughes pick was solid imo but I would have preferred to take two bites at the apple.

We aren’t asking a big man to “lead” us to a championship. Mitchell is that leader. But if you think our best chances of winning is to trade Gobert and go small then you’re going to be sorely mistaken.

Houston has had nearly a decade of small ball with the greatest cast of small ball players and coaches around. It hasn’t worked out.

If we think Mitchell, Snyder, and the Jazz will have greater success than Harden, D’Antoni, And the Rockets then good luck to ya.
I didn't say that I want to trade Gobert... GTFOH with that. I am saying you need some bigs but unskilled bigs like Udoka ain't helping you get anywhere. Its a waste of the most valuable resource small market teams have to find starter level talent.

What do you call Elijah Hughes? We rebuilt our frontline while improving our wings. Are we still undersized? Yes. But until we unload Conley (or bench him) isn’t that always going to be the case?
Hughes is not an upgrade on the wing. He's a scorer who was the center of his teams offense which will become part of our problem. We need 3D players who are comfortable standing in the corner and do all the muscle work. As things stand Royce remain the only one on this roster who can fill this role.

Shaq was incredibly skilled around the basket. + incredibly athletic.

Yes he was, and actually Udoka is incredibly skilled around the basket. 75% FG. And from the looks of his videos he's incredibly athletic. 48" vertical, bro.

Older than Shaq. I love Shaq but I'm thinking skilled means dribbling and shooting?
passing, creation, scoring. You could throw him the ball and he could create a great shot for him and his teammates.

Shaq's strength and athleticism was other worldly... we really shouldn't put him in this convo.

Yes he was, and actually Udoka is incredibly skilled around the basket. 75% FG. And from the looks of his videos he's incredibly athletic. 48" vertical, bro.
I mean... by the time the season starts he might get to around 70 inches vertical...

I didn't avoid anything... its perfectly valid comparison... I'd take multiple perimeter prospects. The Hughes pick was solid imo but I would have preferred to take two bites at the apple.
LOL. That’s stupid logic. Maybe next draft we should just draft 5 PGs in the hope that one of them will be good.

We desperately needed a backup center. We got that. We also needed a wing. We got that. Drafting a bunch of late first round wings in the hopes that one of them might be decent while neglecting other needs would've been idiotic. Especially late in the 1st round, cmon folks. You're acting like we passed up on Lebron James here.
Hughes is not an upgrade on the wing. He's a scorer who was the center of his teams offense which will become part of our problem. We need 3D players who are comfortable standing in the corner and do all the muscle work. As things stand Royce remain the only one on this roster who can fill this role.
I like that Hughes has been asked to do a lot more in the past than what he'll be asked to do by the Jazz. I think he'll fit in just fine. Which wing specifically would've been a better fit? Or are we still dreaming about that mythical wing who'd do all that dirty work and hit every 3 point shot and sometimes score at will when the first 5 guys ahead of him suck?

LOL. That’s stupid logic. Maybe next draft we should just draft 5 PGs in the hope that one of them will be good.

We desperately needed a backup center. We got that. We also needed a wing. We got that. Drafting a bunch of late first round wings in the hopes that one of them might be decent while neglecting other needs would've been idiotic.

I like that Hughes has been asked to do a lot more in the past than what he'll be asked to do by the Jazz. I think he'll fit in just fine. Which wing specifically would've been a better fit? Or are we still dreaming about that mythical wing who'd do all that dirty work and hit every 3 point shot and sometimes score at will when the first 5 guys ahead of him suck?
Guys like Tyler bey and Woodard who can specifically come in and play some lockdown defense, has the body build that you can throw at multiple positions, setting hard screens, making hard fouls, and boxing out so your small guys can grab some easy rebound. Energy play. Hustle play. It's never about shooting or scoring since we already have way too many players who could do this job. It's about getting your hands dirty so the stars can shine. In this case if you bring in guys whose primary skill is scoring you are on the wrong track.

I didn't say that I want to trade Gobert... GTFOH with that. I am saying you need some bigs but unskilled bigs like Udoka ain't helping you get anywhere. Its a waste of the most valuable resource small market teams have to find starter level talent.
by saying udoka is unskilled, you are showing your ignorance. but at i understand now why you don't like the pick. if i was so uninformed to think he was unskilled i would probably hate the pick too.

We desperately needed a backup center. We got that. We also needed a wing. We got that. Drafting a bunch of late first round wings in the hopes that one of them might be decent while neglecting other needs would've been idiotic. Especially late in the 1st round, cmon folks. You're acting like we passed up on Lebron James here.

Yes we should draft 5 PGs thats what I said... honestly if I had 3 or 4 draft picks I'd have no problem taking 3 or 4 wings.

We do not know that we filled any of our current needs last night. We got potential but unlikely solutions to current problems. I'd be willing to bet Udoka is not the guy who plays the most backup center next season. I will respect this decision IFFFFF they actually don't bring in a vet and if he is solid... I'm guessing neither is the case.

Shaq's stats were similar to Udoka's. Udoka has a higher FG% by a lot. Also less TO's.

Not saying Udoka is Shaq but there are similarities.

How are those stats similar? One has twice the points of the other... twice the blocks, twice the steals, twice the assists, twice ... There is a HUGE difference between what Shaq was doing in college and what Udoka was doing. One was a focal point of an offense AND defense... the other one was a garbage man on offense.

by saying udoka is unskilled, you are showing your ignorance. but at i understand now why you don't like the pick. if i was so uninformed to think he was unskilled i would probably hate the pick too.
Cool. What skills does he have? Do any of those skills apply outside the restricted area?

How are those stats similar? One has twice the points of the other... twice the blocks, twice the steals, twice the assists, twice ... There is a HUGE difference between what Shaq was doing in college and what Udoka was doing. One was a focal point of an offense AND defense... the other one was a garbage man on offense.
I like that Udoka is somewhere in between a better version of Tony Bradley and Shaq.