What's new

Jazz select Udoka Azubuike with pick 27 & trade Tony Bradley + pick 38 to the Pistons

Hughes is not an upgrade on the wing. He's a scorer who was the center of his teams offense which will become part of our problem. We need 3D players who are comfortable standing in the corner and do all the muscle work. As things stand Royce remain the only one on this roster who can fill this role.

A guy that could step into that role immediately for the Jazz was not available in the non-lottery portion of this draft. None of the dudes people are whining about do that for us. Our only sure option is to pick someone like this up in free agency or trade for him.

Does highest FG% in NCAA history mean anything?
It means something. I'm not discounting it... he seems like a high end finisher. Which is great. And possibly can translate to the league. But also you have to put that high FG% in context.

I didn't say that I want to trade Gobert... GTFOH with that. I am saying you need some bigs but unskilled bigs like Udoka ain't helping you get anywhere. Its a waste of the most valuable resource small market teams have to find starter level talent.
Ugh, it's hard to keep tracking of who's bitching about what.

So you want us to stay big with Gobert but want us to not get him a decent backup? How is Udoka is a waste of valuable resources? I don't buy it. Now we have 48 mins of Gobert like play. We will always have a big to act as a defensive anchor and rebounding/dunking machine. To get the best defensive big in the draft for pennies (who might one day replace Gobert) seems like the exact opposite of wasted resources.

You want to know what's a waste of valuable resources? $153 million to Mike Conley.

How are those stats similar? One has twice the points of the other... twice the blocks, twice the steals, twice the assists, twice ... There is a HUGE difference between what Shaq was doing in college and what Udoka was doing. One was a focal point of an offense AND defense... the other one was a garbage man on offense.

Going off both of their last seasons of college it's much closer. Not saying Udoka is Shaq but he has SOME Shaqness to him. And Shaq played over 4 min more/game than Udoka.

Cool. What skills does he have? Do any of those skills apply outside the restricted area?
he has a jump hook with both hands, he has excellent footwork, he has great hands, he can finish through contact, he's good on both ends in the PnR, he's an excellent shot blocker with good timing, he's great at sealing his man in the post. that's what came off the top of my head. You don't become a McDonaldn's all american at age 16, then improve every year over a four year career in college and become the Big 12 player of the year if you aren't incredibly skilled.

I like that Udoka is somewhere in between a better version of Tony Bradley and Shaq.
I mean... this comparison is so horrible. Like I wonder if people actually realize that this type of comparisons do no favors for the player they are trying to elevate. Shaq and Udoka are NOTHING alike... well... besides big and explosive. But their games are nothing alike. Udoka is much closer to what Rudy does than what Shaq used to do, even though he's closer to the body-type of Shaq...(like mid-career Shaq).

he has a jump hook with both hands, he has excellent footwork, he has great hands, he can finish through contact, he's good on both ends in the PnR, he's an excellent shot blocker with good timing, he's great at sealing his man in the post. that's what came off the top of my head. You don't become a McDonaldn's all american at age 16, then improve every year over a four year career in college and become the Big 12 player of the year if you aren't incredibly skilled.
I'm bookmarking this thread for when people become excited with him dominating the glass and bringing back the Jinges Alley Oops missed since Favors left. It's going to be hilarious to call some of these people out in a few months.

A guy that could step into that role immediately for the Jazz was not available in the non-lottery portion of this draft. None of the dudes people are whining about do that for us. Our only sure option is to pick someone like this up in free agency or trade for him.
Tyler bey does. Woodard does. Paul Reed does. Their most intriguing skill isn't scoring. They are big and play big. They can swing and guard multiple positions for you. They are comfortable standing in the corner and shoot those occasional threes which is key in Quin's system. They are the ones who can help us reduce Royce minutes right away. Elijah is more of a Clarkson insurance than anything else, which could be useful but not our priority.

Ugh, it's hard to keep tracking of who's bitching about what.

So you want us to stay big with Gobert but want us to not get him a decent backup? How is Udoka is a waste of valuable resources? I don't buy it. Now we have 48 mins of Gobert like play. We will always have a big to act as a defensive anchor and rebounding/dunking machine. To get the best defensive big in the draft for pennies (who might one day replace Gobert) seems like the exact opposite of wasted resources.

You want to know what's a waste of valuable resources? $153 million to Mike Conley.
I'm with you on Mike. I have been pretty consistent there.

WE don't KNOW that Udoka is good enough to provide what some claim he will... rookies generally suck. I want us to get a backup big but its a current problem so address it in FA (there are infinity options there). If we are going to draft a big I need it to be one with some variety... the best teams are shape shifters and are flexible.

Favors struggled as a drop big first year... he has physical tools and is athletic and was experienced... Udoka might get it from day one who knows? But its super unlikely. These bigs that dominate college based on dunking and rebounding are a dime a dozen...

Firsts are a huge resource... its how we get our blue chip talent. When I am on here in 6 months lamenting that we could have had Desmond Bane or Xavier Tillman please don't call it hindsight. Lets see how this plays out.

Based on what I've seen his hands are amazing. NFL all-pro receiver hands. And that 54" vertical.

I'm bookmarking this thread for when people become excited with him dominating the glass and bringing back the Jinges Alley Oops missed since Favors left. It's going to be hilarious to call some of these people out in a few months.
That is a great idea... and I am sure if you are wrong you will ignore that and bump it anyway. Its like all the guys that kept saying this stuff about Mike Conley and just wait until he clicks in.... they got real quiet!

seattlejazzfan said:
You forgot to mention his 100" vert

So he's good as a post up guy... great. He can finish... that is good. Now outside the restricted area... good passer? Can he dribble? Can he shoot?

I think he is likely an NBA player but I think he is likely replacement level. The good stuff comes with some serious warts imo.

Go look at the list of McDonald's all Americans... world beaters like Diamond Stone on there too.

Udoka might be a Thomas Bryant level of success, but that took a few years too and isn't exactly a home run. To be clear they are different types of players.