What's new

Jazz Social Media Personalities

jimmy eat jazz

I follow a number of Jazz social media personalities. I don't personally interact with them, but based on reading a number of exchanges have reached some conclusions. I'm curious what your interactions with them have been and/or how your view them and if I may be off base on my perceptions.

Tony Jones: The worst of the bunch. An insufferable arrogant *** who treats those who disagree with him with condescension and disdain and who appears to view his own opinions as self-evident fact or akin to pronouncements by God etched on tablets of stone on top of Mt. Sinai. He sounds friendly and affable on podcasts, but on Twitter he's an A-1 dick.

Ben Dowsett: Somewhat better than Jones but also condescending and arrogant. I really liked him when he was on Salt City Hoops podcast, but his Twitter personality is boorish and off-puttish. Another guy who appears to think those who disagree with him are, by definition, twits.

Dan Clayton: Better than Jones and Dowsett but also has his moments of being a dick and condescending to people who disagree with him. Like the two above him, it's clear he thinks he understands the game better than others (he probably does, actually) and, thus, feels the need to take a lecturing and dismissive tone to those who don't see things his way. He knows the game, but so do lots of people, and I'm pretty sure many of them will have valid opinions that differ from his, yet he seem unwilling, ever, to concede this point.

Andy Larson: I've not seen the same type of arrogance and condescension from him. Not prone to lecturing/hectoring. I like him quite a lot...so far.

Ben Anderson: Not as active a Twitter personality, but I've always really enjoyed him, both on podcasts and on Twitter. I put him with Andy as the among the best of the bunch.

Who have I overlooked?

I concede that some of my conclusions may be based on biased samples, so, again, I'm curious what you all think.

One thing I find interesting among the Jazz social media pundits is when they get together for podcasts, they disagree about about things all the time and have civil discussions about it. While on Twitter, they (or some of them) rarely afford those who disagree with them a similar level of respect and treat them like dolts, even when they are taking the same kinds of positions or expressing the same kinds of opinions of their pundit buddies. It's this kind of dismissive disdain of people they don't see as on their level, even though many of these people have played or watched the game for decades and understand it well, that I find so off-puttish. (I concede that people do say dumb things, often things easily disproven with statistics. But you get the idea.)

Last edited:
I have really liked Andy Larsen and enjoyed his contributions on Jazzfans.

The rest... who are they? Not kidding.

No mention Locke? His locked on podcast network is blowing up and he is perhaps the foremost national media guy for the jazz that helps the team get the proper attention it deserves outside of Utah.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I follow a number of Jazz social media personalities. I don't personally interact with them, but based on reading a number of exchanges have reached some conclusions. I'm curious what your interactions with them have been and/or how your view them and if I may be off base on my perceptions.

Tony Jones: The worst of the bunch. An insufferable arrogant *** who treats those who disagree with him with condescension and disdain and who appears to view his own opinions as self-evident fact or akin to pronouncements by God etched on tablets of stone on top of Mt. Sinai. He sounds friendly and affable on podcasts, but on Twitter he's an A-1 dick.

Ben Dowsett: Somewhat better than Jones but also condescending and arrogant. I really liked him when he was on Salt City Hoops podcast, but his Twitter personality is boorish and off-puttish. Another guy who appears to think those who disagree with him are, by definition, twits.

Dan Clayton: Better than Jones and Dowsett but also has his moments of being a dick and condescending to people who disagree with him. Like the two above him, it's clear he thinks he understands the game better than others (he probably does, actually) and, thus, feels the need to take a lecturing and dismissive tone to those who don't see things his way. He knows the game, but so do lots of people, and I'm pretty sure many of them will have valid opinions that differ from his, yet he seem unwilling, ever, to concede this point.

Andy Larson: I've not seen the same type of arrogance and condescension from him. Not prone to lecturing/hectoring. I like him quite a lot...so far.

Ben Anderson: Not as active a Twitter personality, but I've always really enjoyed him, both on podcasts and on Twitter. I put him with Andy as the among the best of the bunch.

Who have I overlooked?

I concede that some of my conclusions may be based on biased samples, so, again, I'm curious what you all think.

One thing I find interesting among the Jazz social media pundits is when they get together for podcasts, they disagree about about things all the time and have civil discussions about it. While on Twitter, they (or some of them) rarely afford those who disagree with them a similar level of respect and treat them like dolts, even when they are taking the same kinds of positions or expressing the same kinds of opinions of their pundit buddies. It's this kind of dismissive disdain of people they don't see as on their level, even though many of these people have played or watched the game for decades and understand it well, that I find so off-puttish. (I concede that people do say dumb things, often things easily disproven with statistics. But you get the idea.)
That’s how I feel about the hubris with most of the 1280 crowd. I like Bill Oram on ESPN700. He does stellar work.

Locke is a goof but puts out a ton of content and does his homework. Even though I don’t always agree with his conclusions.

Cy is the best and most reasonable Jazz twitter follow.

Tony Jones - Great at his job. Nailed the entire off season showing that he is a great reporter/journalist. I don't take his twitter exchanges too seriously because he doesn't either. If you've ever talked to someone in real life basketball and not on a forum e-peen measuring contest, this is how people talk.

Ben Dowsett - Worst of the bunch. Actually arrogant and personifies the keyboard intellectual. Speaks on topics that he is obviously unfamiliar with as if he's an expert and thinks everyone who disagrees with him is dumb. Though, his arrogance leads to some pretty good content ngl. Him lying about the Warriors and getting called out for it was hilarious. As are his several rants on soccer/football. He's a guy who's fun to watch make an *** out of himself, and he does it often.

Dan Clayton - Don't pay too much attention to him, but he's a decent blogger.

Andy Larsen - Solid reporter, but it's also clear that he's of the blogger turned journalist type (which he is). That's not necessarily a bad thing, but there's a different vibe to a blogger and a journalist. He does good work

Ben Anderson - Not very informed, just see him as a face level shallow analysis guy. Which is fine, doesn't take himself too seriously.

Eric Walden - Does good work, not a basketball expert...but again doesn't act like everything he says is gospel.

David Locke - The hardest working man in the business. A big homer, but understandable as he is a team employee. Better insight than just about anyone I've seen in the whole NBA media. He essentially leaks our draft decision every year. He is a very bad spokesperson for analytics, however. He's very out of date with modern NBA analytics.

Andy Bailey - The worst type of "analytics" person.

This. Keep sports in their proper lane.

Thanks for the non-sequitur life advice.

For the record, I devote about .0001% of my emotional bandwidth to this topic, I was just curious how my observations accorded with others' and whether I should adjust my thinking a bit.

I did forget Locke (pretty big omission). I can see why people find him annoying, but the content he delivers is pretty incredible. I agree with whoever said he's one of the hardest working guys out there. Plus, one's got to admire his entrepreneurial chops creating his Locked-on podcast network. I admire the hell out of him.

Andy Baily can be arrogant and dismissive as well. I do like his content and analysis, so I tend to overlook the rough edges of his personality.

Eric Walden's an easy going personality, but I find his analysis to not be on the same level as others'.

The only Jazz personality I find annoying is Andy Bailey. From how annoying he was with his Exum > Rubio takes to his weird ego when it comes to Player A vs Player B tweet format (for those who dont kniw what Im talking about, he complained that KOC stole his idea when made the same kind of tweet).

I use to not like Dowsett, but I do think he is generally the best and smartest Jazz writer.

Larsen is cool because he puts in a lot of work with the triple team breakdowns, but I havent read one this year. His humor often misses the mark for me as well.

Tony is the best personality wise. He does shoot down others opinions and I disagree with a lot of his, but if you cant take that you is a baby.

Ben Anderson is easily the least informed Jazz twitter person. Hes a general sports radio guy though, so as a super fan Im not looking for him to teach me anything.

Clayton is good. Hes another person who can rub people the wrong way with how stubborn he can be, but Im the same way.

Walden is cool enough.

There’s a lot of “I write for a blog, so I’m an expect” sort of personalities out there, which is honestly obnoxious. But for someone who tries to follow the team from out of state it’s these personalities, especially in my case following Locke podcasts, that help you stay connected. So I won’t complain too much.