What's new

Jazz trade Fonteccio to Pistons for 2024 2nd

Some of you are acting like Simone was a key lynch pin for us to make the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice player, but I'm all for it if the FO feels Hendricks is ready to go... and you get a former #9 pick, along with what amounts to a late round FRP... oh, and you get a younger version of him stashed in EU....

welp, clear sign that the Jazz are once again giving up again on the season and getting their pick back. Clarkson and KO will be next. Hopefully we actually try to start winning something soon and this is the last year we play half a season only to give up.
I would wait until after the deadline to declare what direction they are headed. This pick could be re-routed in another deal. It is a day early.

But yeah I haven't bought in to the narrative that they for sure want the pick to convey. I think they are cool with whatevs.

Some of you are acting like Simone was a key lynch pin for us to make the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice player, but I'm all for it if the FO feels Hendricks is ready to go... and you get a former #9 pick, along with what amounts to a late round FRP... oh, and you get a younger version of him stashed in EU....
He was. As of right now they wont make the PO if nothing else changes.

How many more years will Lauri be happy with that type of arrangement?

Even if he is "happy"....the point of having a player like him is to win. It's a privilege to have a player of his caliber. The point of the league is to get players like him so you can actually win. Whatever Lauri's satisfaction is, you still can't burn year after year of having a player of his quality.

Maybe it will pay off, but some kind of significant change needs to happen soon. Like this summer soon. Move forward with Lauri and give him/us a chance to win something or move forward without him and blow it all up. This cycle of playing half a season, only to quit and "reward" ourselves with a later lottery pick (who might end up buried in the GLeague anyways) can only go on for so long.

Simone was not being signed for 5-7 million a year. The Jazz realized that he was getting a lot of interest and they would not be able to retain him. So, they went forward with this.

I'm okay with the trade. I find with my age I tend to prefer action to inaction -- the front office is clearly trying to claw their way into relevance and I think so far it's been good. For me, the most difficult question is trading for a PG or waiting for Keyonte to develop (which may not mesh with Lauri's timeline).

At any rate -- Simone will have a chance to get a nice contract this offseason if he can light **** up with Detroit. I'm happy for him.

- George

If he had that much interest, the Jazz could've gotten more for him than a second round pick. But we'll find out in a few months.

The best thing about this trade is you can be a lot more active on draft day with trades.

You can trade up or you can trade out and grab a player from a team looking to cut salary.

I would wait until after the deadline to declare what direction they are headed. This pick could be re-routed in another deal. It is a day early.

But yeah I haven't bought in to the narrative that they for sure want the pick to convey. I think they are cool with whatevs.

We'll see....but I don't think we've really been linked to any player that could help us win. Like the DJ stuff, that's all speculation and I don't think I've actually seen a report of the Jazz being a suitor. Unless that pick is rerouted, they truly dgaf about the play in....which to me is the same thing as wanting the pick.

This isn't to say this is a bad direction to go either....but time is ticking Danny.

Your best wing defender who is also your 2nd best shooter is important to your success especially when he is quite literally your only wing player (unless you want to count Ochai and if Ochai is suddenly a 26 MPG player the Jazz are in trouble.

If he had that much interest, the Jazz could've gotten more for him than a second round pick. But we'll find out in a few months.
- Bojan hasn't even been able to garner a FRP -- it's not the market you think he is.
- to the "we had zero danger of losing him" crowd -- yes if you're a dunce and only look at contracts 1 to 1, he is an RFA and we could have kept him. If you are looking at things from an asset management perspective, you have to think about whether it makes sense to sign Simone to the price he would have commanded if he continues his season in Utah. And no, it wouldn't have been 5-7 million. Double the latter number, and start there.
- even with point 2, the question is do you go through this process, or are you sensing that you're a chip short and you can snipe better talent in this window with that pick?

if you follow the NBA, you'll realize how many incompetent FOs there are (Toronto's, for starters). Utah's is not one of them.

- George

- Bojan hasn't even been able to garner a FRP -- it's not the market you think he is.
- to the "we had zero danger of losing him" crowd -- yes if you're a dunce and only look at contracts 1 to 1, he is an RFA and we could have kept him. If you are looking at things from an asset management perspective, you have to think about whether it makes sense to sign Simone to the price he would have commanded if he continues his season in Utah. And no, it wouldn't have been 5-7 million. Double the latter number, and start there.
- even with point 2, the question is do you go through this process, or are you sensing that you're a chip short and you can snipe better talent in this window with that pick?

if you follow the NBA, you'll realize how many incompetent FOs there are (Toronto's, for starters). Utah's is not one of them.

- George
100% agree, and to add to this, Simone is not young. He's not in the window the Jazz FO are targeting...

Lol you're 100% correct. These guys hating were crying when guys like Borris Diaw and Raul Neto left embarrassingly. Don't pay much attention to them on this particular issue.
I will say I was upset when we lost NAW -- but I've been vindicated in that regard.

- George