What's new

Jazz View Oni as Team's Best Perimeter Defender

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
[/URL]

"Utah looks at Oni as its best perimeter defender. The Jazz don’t think he’s quite as good a defender as Royce O’Neale, because O’Neale is so versatile in defending below the free-throw line and so able to switch between defending bigger and smaller players. But the Jazz were impressed with Oni last season and his development, and his development in the offseason. Whether he claims a spot in Quin Snyder’s rotation depends on what happens in free agency. But, he projects to be solidly on the roster as he heads into his second professional season."

he should have been getting more minutes in the Denver series. I wanted to see him matched against Murray... maybe he gets roasted too, but I felt like we didn't exhaust all options to stopping him.
Well, I don’t think anyone was going to stop Murray or even slow him down. He was just too hot. He was throwing up long threes in people’s eyes and draining them. Oni wasn’t going to stop that.

Well, I don’t think anyone was going to stop Murray or even slow him down. He was just too hot. He was throwing up long threes in people’s eyes and draining them. Oni wasn’t going to stop that.

We must have been watching different games. He was creating tons of space and shooting open threes.

ALso, @Catchall

They also extended a two-way qualifying offer to rising second-year forward Jarrell Brantley, making him a restricted free agent."

This means they arent giving him a roster spot. If someone wants to sign him to one, he is gone. If he doesnt, Utah will bring him back on a 2-way deal.

Doesn't that say it makes him a restricted FA, though?
Yes, but a two-way qualifying offer means they are only interested in signing him to a 2-way contract I would presume. If they wanted to give him a deal, they would just give him the minimum deal like every other player of this ilk gets.

No one is going to sign Jarrell Brantley to a roster spot. He might get a 2-way from someone else, but Utah will just match it.

Yes, but a two-way qualifying offer means they are only interested in signing him to a 2-way contract I would presume. If they wanted to give him a deal, they would just give him the minimum deal like every other player of this ilk gets.

No one is going to sign Jarrell Brantley to a roster spot. He might get a 2-way from someone else, but Utah will just match it.
I don't know much about the mechanics of two-way, but I've understood two-ways to make them your own restricted free agent. Unless that somehow only means that you're restricted in terms of two-way offers, which seems a bit silly.

he should have been getting more minutes in the Denver series. I wanted to see him matched against Murray... maybe he gets roasted too, but I felt like we didn't exhaust all options to stopping him.
I agree. He should have definitely been given the chance to guard Murray. Joe and Royce were so gassed while Conley and JC were unusable.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't know much about the mechanics of two-way, but I've understood two-ways to make them your own restricted free agent. Unless that somehow only means that you're restricted in terms of two-way offers, which seems a bit silly.
^sighting!^

I really have no idea what you are saying here.

He is a RFA. Since no one in their right mind is going to give him a guaranteed deal, he will return to Utah as a 2-way player (if he chooses to sign).

I'm all in on the Oni train. We need some inner development for wings since we hate drafting them.

Hope he sees some consistent minutes in the rotation and is up to the task.