What's new

Jazz View Oni as Team's Best Perimeter Defender

K so if they knew this... why the **** did Jamal Murray score infinity points on us in the playoffs?

I guess what I’m asking is DL or Quin incompetent?

@FAILED STATE this should make you happy and exceedingly frustrated. Why do we roll with Niang pretending to be a sf when our best defender is on the bench. At what point in the month or two offseason did he become the best perimeter defender. If only Quin loved DL pet picks as much as DL does.

We put ****ing JC on Murray because “what else were we supposed to do... there is no one else”

I’m not even mad anymore. I just think it’s funny.

K so if they knew this... why the **** did Jamal Murray score infinity points on us in the playoffs?

@FAILED STATE this should make you happy and exceedingly frustrated. Why do we roll with Niang pretending to be a sf when our best defender is on the bench. At what point in the month or two offseason did he become the best perimeter defender. If only Quin loved DL pet picks as much as DL does.
Jokic was masterful in setting picks for him to give him just enough of an opening to get his shots, but like it was said earlier, he was shooting lights out from everywhere even with guys right up on him -- it was Curryesque.

Oni should get a chance to play this season. I'm optimistic about his chances. Definitely prefer him to Rayjon Tucker, who is a scorer that is terrified to shoot the ball.

I think it's more of a "Oni has potential to be our best perimeter defender" kind of message. He just wasnt ready yet. Or it's a standard "blah blah blah 15lbs muscles, improvement" preseason marketing thing.

Jokic was masterful in setting picks for him to give him just enough of an opening to get his shots, but like it was said earlier, he was shooting lights out from everywhere even with guys right up on him -- it was Curryesque.
He was really good, but our defense is like extra large sweat pants... we apply no ball pressure. Not just against Murray... we were last in the league in deflections and steals. We aren’t up into guys at all. Guys will shoot high percentages when they are comfortable. All season long guards tore our *** up.

We fixed one defensive problem at backup center. We haven’t addressed our biggest issue and I guess are going to rely on basically a rookie in Oni. If they were going to rely on him they should have invested more time in the bubble so we could see it. Throw him out there in the playoffs too... ain’t like he could do worse.

My sources say that Oni completed his Jedi training sometime in October. We good.

He was really good, but our defense is like extra large sweat pants... we apply no ball pressure. Not just against Murray... we were last in the league in deflections and steals. We aren’t up into guys at all. Guys will shoot high percentages when they are comfortable. All season long guards tore our *** up.

We fixed one defensive problem at backup center. We haven’t addressed our biggest issue and I guess are going to rely on basically a rookie in Oni. If they were going to rely on him they should have invested more time in the bubble so we could see it. Throw him out there in the playoffs too... ain’t like he could do worse.

I really hope Quin changes up the defense this year. We can't rely on the Rudy 1v5 defense where we funnel everything towards him and also give him no help. It's effective in the regular season and sometimes the playoffs, but I think it stretches him too thin. The best, and most talented offenses will force everyone to play defense.

We're sorely lacking defensive players who can cover ground, create turnovers, and play team defense. We have a bunch of guys who are good at staying home at shooters, but that doesn't help Rudy.

I can’t even believe you all are talking about this... The 15 pounds of muscle he added this offseason will only help his defensive prowess. Same story different storyline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really hope Quin changes up the defense this year. We can't rely on the Rudy 1v5 defense where we funnel everything towards him and also give him no help. It's effective in the regular season and sometimes the playoffs, but I think it stretches him too thin. The best, and most talented offenses will force everyone to play defense.

We're sorely lacking defensive players who can cover ground, create turnovers, and play team defense. We have a bunch of guys who are good at staying home at shooters, but that doesn't help Rudy.
I have really bad news for you

I can’t even believe you all are talking about this... The 15 pounds of muscle he added this offseason will only help his defensive prowess. Same story different storyline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get off my corner... I’m the muscle watch champ... the number is always 15 lbs... every time... if I was a player or agent I would say 17 lbs. just to be a one upping *******.

The two way deals are more lucrative this year. They are close to $500 K guaranteed instead of having to go through a formula of games played in the GLeague and games played in the show.

I don’t think they’re particularly good at closing out on shooters, either.

I don’t think they’re particularly good at closing out on shooters, either.
Well, there’s a reason why the Jazz allow so many few 3’s. They don’t have to close it well because they’re not helping in the paint. The Bucks have a far superior defensive strategy that I wish the Jazz would employ, but we probably don’t have enough athletes or willing defenders to execute.

Also Quin will never change his strategy or add new wrinkles.

Well, there’s a reason why the Jazz allow so many few 3’s. They don’t have to close it well because they’re not helping in the paint. The Bucks have a far superior defensive strategy that I wish the Jazz would employ, but we probably don’t have enough athletes or willing defenders to execute.

Also Quin will never change his strategy or add new wrinkles.
It's weird but the Stars were pretty good on the defensive side of the balls last year and were running the same system. It's like some of the Jazz players didn't care. I know the skill levels differ but it appeared to me the Stars were giving effort and Jazz only so often.