What's new

JAZZ vs. Magic - Orlando Pro Summer League - 1pm et 7/6/10

recorded and watched the entire game, thoughts:

- I thought Gaines looked great early than he kind of got away from it a little bit. He's still best at driving to the hoop and scoring or setting other guys up. Shooting is still his main weakness.

- Koufos played like a big, blocking shots grabbing rebounds, he even displayed a couple nice offensive moves. nice game from him.

-Tyrese Rice is good for flashes but awful at other times. I can't see him making it in the NBA.

- If we can't grab Lo Admundson from the suns than Jeremy Evans could fill in a similar role, the guy is productive on both ends of the floor.

- Hayward took what the defense gave him and looked pretty good for it only being his 2nd summer league game. You can tell he has a high basketball IQ.

On the other side I saw Jerome Randle was playing i got excited, but i thought he only showed flashes of his great game(one of his moves was just spectacular). He didn't shoot it as well as I thought he is capable of, and was a defensive liability at times. But at least he showed some great hustle grabbing loose balls in front of players a couple feet taller than him. But he have more opportunities to show off his ability to NBA scouts.

I was dissapointed Dominic Waters only played 3 minutes, but I guess there just wasn't enough minutes to go around.

Regarding the talent level of the summer league and how they'd fair against college...

I think the athletic talent level of the summer league guys is closer to NBA than it is to college. I don't think the basketball talent level is close however. The difference being that the jumpin' runnin' slashin' is high and the finishin' is not so high. Shakin'and bakin' to the hole is one thing. Shakin' and bakin' and finishing is another.

I think the Summer League "teams" are bad teams, becuase everyone is new to one another, they are all showcasing their talents. But with any sort of team element they would CRUSH the best college teams. BTW - Watching RMR, i've seen true playground hoop - sometimes quite entertaining and then there is the RMR-Jazz trying to get guys to run the offense - sometimes quite painful. This is why Gaines' performance is not so important in RMR to me. But real team ball is ALWAYS more entertaining to me than playground. (A worm to see if Carolina Jazz bites...)

He came into last years camp looking stronger as well. Did you watch him today? other than a few rushed shots I thought he looked pretty good.

Yeah, he was still getting his stuff rejected fairly easily. But he played a lot better than yesterday.

Anyone else notice how much stronger Koufus looks? He still sucks, but his body is coming along nicely.

Yah, and it hasn't seemed to slow him down which is good. He is probably a soild 260 now don't think Amare will be backing him down and dunking on him anymore....ok at least regularly.

Yah, and it hasn't seemed to slow him down which is good. He is probably a soild 260 now don't think Amare will be backing him down and dunking on him anymore....ok at least regularly.

Yeh but to be fair Amare dunks on everybody.

He came into last years camp looking stronger as well. Did you watch him today? other than a few rushed shots I thought he looked pretty good.
Yeah last year I thought the added weight/bulk really slowed him down and hurt his quickness and mobility. So far he seems to be moving better.

Koufos with 13 and 11 in 20 minutes. Gotta like that.

Didn't shoot great, though, but that's ok. Took good shots.
It shows why giving development players consistent game time is important--and not benching them after one bad game. Sloan stunted KK2's growth by banishing him to the bench for about 3 months.

My takes:
Kosta - Much improved from last game. Didnt rush his shots. Rebounded the ball well. Challenged shots well. Really good game.

Hayward - Good game. Continues to not do too much wrong. Shot looks nice. Good fundamentals and intangibles, but watching him play these two games it is still pretty tough to accept him as the #9 pick in the draft. I almost feel bad for him.

Sundiata - Good first half, terrible 2nd half. I cant believe all of the **** he is taking on this board. Running the point in summer league and looking good is pretty tough. It seems like he is doing his best to run the system and isnt forcing too much. He will be fine.

Othyus - still getting beat on defense consistently. Wasnt he supposed to be a stopper? Didnt do too much.

Augustine - Didnt look nearly as good this game. Davis was eating his lunch and drinking his milk. Really got out muscled.

Evans - MY MAN! Showed some glimpses. Couple nice finishes at the rim. Couple of nice blocks. Wonder if he can put on any weight between now and camp.

Hayward is playing as well as the guys taken at #2 and #3 in the draft. Do you find it hard to accept them as the #2 and #3 picks?

Hayward is playing as well as the guys taken at #2 and #3 in the draft. Do you find it hard to accept them as the #2 and #3 picks?

I agree, he's been the best player on a team that features 5 guys who have reached the NBA in their careers, and he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses that will keep him off of the floor.

In the little I saw of Augustine I thought he looked like a better athlete to our bigs currently. Does that mean it'll translate into productivity? Not necessarily, but he doesn't seem like a stiff, and he was Deron's teammate at Illinois too.

Okay I finally finished watching the replay.

Jeffers has not looked good. He gets beat on D consistently and he still does not have even a midrange jumper.

It looks like to me Hayward runs the offense correctly and when everyone else doesn't run it properly he doesn't get open looks. Overally he has looked ready to play a role off the bench and not hurt us. He also appears to be able to do more but seems to be feeling his way out. He is quick on the fastbreak and can run both fastbreak and pick and roll. He has better leaping ability and timing than I knew. Defensively he focuses on help D and has gotten burned by his man going back door more than once. He needs to improve his defensive footwork. He jumper is Korver pure but he has a good stroke with his feet set.

Gaines is about the same as he was last year. Good ability to drive and finish around the hoop. Sometimes good aggressive D. No jumper and looks for his shot first.

Koufos is slowly regaining his confidence. His size at this level makes a big difference on the boards and defensively. He struggle with Ajinca who is longer he is. But he did very well again Orton. Tonight we get to seem him against Indiana. He should have size advantage there again.

Evans looked light years better yesterday than on Monday. He physically reminds me of Hakim Warrick. He just so long and quick. He his perimeter skills are limited to pump fake and one dribble to the hoop.

Augustine looks much strong than he has in the past. If he continues to play well I hope to see him in training camp.