What's new

Jazz vs Nuggets @ Pepsi Center (1.5.13) at 7:00 PM Mountain Time / Telecast on ROOTSPORTS

Burks: 3 for 5 from the floor, 9 points in 16 minutes

Foye: 2 for 9 from the floor, 8 points in 26 minutes

Tonight Favors showed why Jersey traded him. He's not a smart offensive player, and when he encounters a player that matches him in physical gifts, he struggles. The refs have always hated him too. Hayward has turned into a chucker somewhat. They were tired after the first half and it showed.

Tonight Favors showed why Jersey traded him. He's not a smart offensive player, and when he encounters a player that matches him in physical gifts, he struggles. The refs have always hated him too. Hayward has turned into a chucker somewhat. They were tired after the first half and it showed.

So Favors has one really awful night and suddenly he sucks? Look at everyone's numbers. They all sucked.

I wish I could say it was just a bad night but they always seem to have a bad night in Denver. It doesn't help that they play in Denver on the second night of a back-to-back. Everyone's struggles with that.

The problem here seems to be that the Jazz have very limited offensive sets, and have limited ability to even run any offensive sets because they don't have a real front-line PG. So people stand around, spread the floor and post Al, then re-post Al, then hand the ball to Hayward to either shoot or dish to a wing to shoot. If Hayward isn't on the floor, then typically Millsap is on the floor doing what Hayward would do. Opposing teams don't care much about our outside shooting because they know we can't win a whole game with our outside shooting alone. Foye, Marvin, Carroll and Hayward are streaky. So defenses pack in to double or triple-team Al and close the lanes that Millsap wants to work with. Unless the Jazz are cutting hard off picks, no one gets freed up, and our offense looks like crap.

Favors is our best player at battling defensively. He puts a lot of energy into defense. Quite often, he's like a one-man interior defense. Millsap gets outreached, outhustled and outworked. He couldn't deal well with either Faried or Koufos tonight.

The Jazz need to add quickness. We come across a bit slow at several positions. Kanter has decent quickness for a PF/C. Favors is okay. Al is slow. Hayward isn't super quick. Even Millsap is slow when he isn't playing hard. Marvin is limited offensively. Both of our re-tread PGs are slow.

If the Jazz could add skill and quickness at the PG and the wing, that would help tremendously.

We need a couple guys who can get a step to break down defenses.

Foye is kinda slow, a streak shooter, mediocre at best on defense, and he doesn't rebound. Not the kind of cocktail you want as your starting SG.

Gallinari had 12 free-throw attempts. I'm not sure how that happened, but I'm pretty sure that shouldn't have happened. Who is he blowing by?

Andre Miller had 18 pts and 11 free-throw attempts. I'm not sure how that happened, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't have happened. He was playing as an undersized, 36 year-old SG half the time.

Could this season be any worse? We're completely mediocre, likely #13 pick. Golden State is killing it, our pick from them #23 or something close. All of our minutes are going to vets who won't be on our team next year. Our coach is exposed as an idiot. Man I'm depressed

So Favors has one really awful night and suddenly he sucks? Look at everyone's numbers. They all sucked.

I wish I could say it was just a bad night but they always seem to have a bad night in Denver. It doesn't help that they play in Denver on the second night of a back-to-back. Everyone's struggles with that.

Never said he sucks. I said he's not a smart/skilled offensive player (hence his 45% shooting this year), and to be frank, he does not rebound the ball with energy quite often for his size. He has two main tendencies as an offensive player: 1) he puts his head down and charges (often out of control) while paradoxically finishing soft around the rim 2) he floats along not asserting himself or contributing to the offense with solid screens, crisp passes, assists, cuts, and activity in general.

I've become convinced that he will never be a dominating offensive player, so the most we can hope for is dominance defensively, 11 plus rebounds a game, and 12-16 points per game on 50% shooting or more.

I'm hoping that Hayward and Kanter improve enough offensively to make our team good enough offensively in the future to contend.

Oh and to complain somewhat, the refs called the game as if the Nuggets were not allowed to be touched at all particularly in the second half.

Never said he sucks. I said he's not a smart/skilled offensive player (hence his 45% shooting this year), and to be frank, he does not rebound the ball with energy quite often for his size. He has two main characteristics as an offensive player: 1) he puts his head down and charges (often out of control) while paradoxically finishing soft around the rim 2) he floats along not asserting himself or contributing to the offense with solid screens, crisp passes, assists, cuts, and activity in general.

I've become convinced that he will never be a dominating offensive player, so the most we can hope for is dominance defensively, 11 plus rebounds a game, and 12-16 points per game on 50% shooting or more.

I'm hoping that Hayward and Kanter improve enough offensively to make our team good enough offensively in the future to contend.

I agree with this. I think Kanter can be close to a 20-pt. scorer though.