What's new

Jazz vs Nuggets @ Pepsi Center (1.5.13) at 7:00 PM Mountain Time / Telecast on ROOTSPORTS

The Jazz need to add quickness. We come across a bit slow at several positions. Kanter has decent quickness for a PF/C. Favors is okay. Al is slow. Hayward isn't super quick. Even Millsap is slow when he isn't playing hard. Marvin is limited offensively. Both of our re-tread PGs are slow.

If the Jazz could add skill and quickness at the PG and the wing, that would help tremendously.

We need a couple guys who can get a step to break down defenses.

I have a proposed trade for Brandon Knight point guard for the Pistons, if your interested in seeing it. Knight's stats don't look all that great, but he is the point guard on a really crappy team. I know some of us were high on him going into the Kantor/Burks draft. It would give us a young point guard to go with our young core.

The Jazz need to add quickness. We come across a bit slow at several positions. Kanter has decent quickness for a PF/C. Favors is okay. Al is slow. Hayward isn't super quick. Even Millsap is slow when he isn't playing hard. Marvin is limited offensively. Both of our re-tread PGs are slow.

If the Jazz could add skill and quickness at the PG and the wing, that would help tremendously.

We need a couple guys who can get a step to break down defenses.
Quickness would be nice, but that wasn't the problem tonight.

Iggy schooled Burks repeatedly, but that's more experience than quickness.
Corbin thought it would be fun to see how Foye could fare against 6'6" Iguodala.
Gallinari was scoring at will--without much resistance (although at least a couple of Carroll's 6 fouls were on Gallinari).
Jazz looked clueless out there--and their 36% shooting reflected it.

Never said he sucks. I said he's not a smart/skilled offensive player (hence his 45% shooting this year), and to be frank, he does not rebound the ball with energy quite often for his size. He has two main tendencies as an offensive player: 1) he puts his head down and charges (often out of control) while paradoxically finishing soft around the rim 2) he floats along not asserting himself or contributing to the offense with solid screens, crisp passes, assists, cuts, and activity in general.

I've become convinced that he will never be a dominating offensive player, so the most we can hope for is dominance defensively, 11 plus rebounds a game, and 12-16 points per game on 50% shooting or more.

I'm hoping that Hayward and Kanter improve enough offensively to make our team good enough offensively in the future to contend.

If Kanter masters contested shots, he will have a Malone kind of mid range skill and he will be a force to be reckoned with on the offensive end.

I would be happy. more for foye walking away, I dont mind Marvin so much as a defender but he shouldnt be starting.

I think the Jazz have just entered the zone for wasting their young talents' potential because of their performance, since they have no contender starter roster, they should be looking forward to starting them. Before that, it was OK to sit them and give them increasing rotation minutes, but right now, starting who we start and sitting youngsters on the bench during the tip off will just harm the potential.

Quickness would be nice, but that wasn't the problem tonight.

Iggy schooled Burks repeatedly, but that's more experience than quickness.
Corbin thought it would be fun to see how Foye could fare against 6'6" Iguodala.
Gallinari was scoring at will--without much resistance (although at least a couple of Carroll's 6 fouls were on Gallinari).
Jazz looked clueless out there--and their 36% shooting reflected it.

The starters shot .3265 percent. How low can we go?

So Favors has one really awful night and suddenly he sucks? Look at everyone's numbers. They all sucked.

I wish I could say it was just a bad night but they always seem to have a bad night in Denver. It doesn't help that they play in Denver on the second night of a back-to-back. Everyone's struggles with that.

except minnesota.

you're probably right though, it felt like one of those games where everything just goes pear-shaped. fluke calls like the interference on hayward's dunk, foye's weirdo travels...
everyone on our roster seemed to register a bonehead moment.
i don't like tiredness on a back-to-back as an excuse but we definitely missed the option of kanter's size when they kept throwing bigs at us.

Agree with everything said in this game thread (besides big al/cakar)

Its WAY past time that this team is handed over to the youngsters..... I guess i can see that maybe the jazz want to showcase guys for trades, but i honestly think that is BS.
If the youngsters are not running this team after the trade deadline, then this season is such a waste and all my patience will be completely gone.

When is the trade dealine anyway? How much longer do we have to put up with this crap?

The good news is that at least pretty much all of jazzfanz are now united in wanting the young guys to take over (except for maybe lunatic wolf, scorpjazz, hartsock, and cakar) I think even franklin is on board now and brown notes too.

As far as tonights game specifically... it was a suckfest from everyone. Favors and jeffy both dribbled the ball off thier own feet, foye and favors both went up for shots and were about to be blocked so they tried to dribble and were called for travels, foye passed the ball to himself and was called for travelling, millsap had a traveling call and an airball, jeffy had an airball.... it was horrible to watch..... burks was the only thing keeping me interested tonight.

I've become convinced that he will never be a dominating offensive player, so the most we can hope for is dominance defensively, 11 plus rebounds a game, and 12-16 points per game on 50% shooting or more.

Anything wrong with that? Sounds fantastic to me. Notice how many NBA teams have a non-scoring defensive center? Favors can be much more than that. He should be starting.

Was the goal tending call on Hayward correct? I never saw anything like that
Technically is goaltending, but in Haywards defense, had he not hung onto the rim, he'd have landed on his head. In my opinion the refs should've accounted for that.
Anything wrong with that? Sounds fantastic to me. Notice how many NBA teams have a non-scoring defensive center? Favors can be much more than that. He should be starting.

Lol. Thought the same thing, not to mention Kanter looks like he could develop into a low post scoring machine. If that happens. Those two will dominate for years to come and be a great front court tandem. I'm rooting for that.

So Denver plays a line up at the wings of 6-6 iggy and 6-10 Galinari....so Corbin plays the 6-8 Hayward 19 minutes?

Also, I liked the Denver offense. It created lots of open lanes going to the basket, they have 3 players in the top 11 for dunks (jazz highest player is #30). And not only does the Nugents offense create lanes to the basket it also sends rebounders to the basket when the shots go up. The Jazz's Jefferson iso doesn't put rebounders in postion.

So Denver plays a line up at the wings of 6-6 iggy and 6-10 Galinari....so Corbin plays the 6-8 Hayward 19 minutes?

Also, I liked the Denver offense. It created lots of open lanes going to the basket, they have 3 players in the top 11 for dunks (jazz highest player is #30). And not only does the Nugents offense create lanes to the basket it also sends rebounders to the basket when the shots go up. The Jazz's Jefferson iso doesn't put rebounders in postion.

Good post.
Denver is pretty fun to watch.

Again, nothing wrong with it. Miami would be unstoppable with Favors at the 5, and I agree that he should be starting, but it's more complicated than that of course. The composition of the team and how it gels is the most important aspect of any team. Therefore, the Jazz need at least two very good and efficient scorers that play semi-quality D. Kanter and Hayward might be those two, but that remains to be seen. I like Favors, but he has a lot to figure out on the offensive end, and I'm not just talking about scoring, which he doesn't do very well (6'10": 45% shooting). I'm optimistic in his development if he gets the minutes.

Hey, Mellow, where do you get the list of dunk leaders? I've looked for that in the past and have not been able to find it. Thanks.

Again, nothing wrong with it. Miami would be unstoppable with Favors at the 5, and I agree that he should be starting, but it's more complicated than that of course. The composition of the team and how it gels is the most important aspect of any team. Therefore, the Jazz need at least two very good and efficient scorers that play semi-quality D. Kanter and Hayward might be those two, but that remains to be seen. I like Favors, but he has a lot to figure out on the offensive end, and I'm not just talking about scoring, which he doesn't do very well (6'10": 45% shooting). I'm optimistic in his development if he gets the minutes.

But you missed the major point about Favors: No, he does not have to have to figure out a lot on the offensive end. His D now makes him a good starter, anything he gives on offense is gravy. And even now his offense, especially foul shots, is much better than most defending C's in the league. And he will get better, especially with more time and more calls from the refs.

This "system" as people have come to call it doesn't work with young players. It also doesn't help that Corbin thinks the exact same way as Sloan regarding playing "vets" over young talent when we are not in a win now situation. With that said I'm done watching this debacle.