What's new

Jazz vs Rockets game thread , Thursday, 8:30pm MT.

Yeah, in some aspects. He's better at moving his feet and staying in front than Allen was. Allen relied on his strength and physicality. It's why he was so good at guarding Kobe, a guy who loved to post-up guards.

And those are small sample size numbers, so yeah, I don't care. It's more about eye test.

Use the stats...only when they suit you!

I can't find those stats for staying in front of people. Nba tracking must have dropped it. Exum is our best at defensive rating right now.

https://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season&TeamID=1610612762

Which is better than Leonard and Jrue Holiday.
Not sure how that rating works, but according to it JV has the best rating on Raptors from the players who played 20+ games. So doubt it is a true reflection of how good a player is defensively.

Not sure how that rating works, but according to it JV has the best rating on Raptors from the players who played 20+ games. So doubt it is a true reflection of how good a player is defensively.
To be honest no defensive stat is really useful for individuals. I liked that old stat of staying in front of your guy but I can't find it anymore. The only useful defensive stats are team ones.

Well they only play JV when the matchup allows it, so they arent putting him in situations where he can exposed, hence a higher rating.

ok, lets talk T.Allen then. Do you see Exum being at the same elite level as T.Allen when it comes to iso defense? I looked up opponent FG%per 100 plays - maybe not the best stat but still - Exum is decent at 46.3% , Rubio just a tiny bit worse at 46.7%, but for example D. Green 42.9%, Rozier 41.9%, Siakam 43.4%, Kawhi 43.6%, heck even our own Korver in 4 games for the Jazz is at 43.6%.
Problem with the stats and most defensive stats is that it doesn't really show how good their defense was. You can play perfect defense and yet the offensive player still might score anyway.

Watching the games, Exum is elite at staying in front of his man. Is he the best in the league? Probably not but there is no stat to tell us one way or another imo. What matters is that he is amazing at guarding his guy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

The Rocket offense is all about beating your man one-on-one.

Unfortunately, for most of the rest of the league, it's about getting through screens and being able to switch quickly and effectively - this is Exum's Achilles' heel on defense
Exum is actually very good at getting through screens for a guard, it actually causes the Jazz' defense problems at times because Gobert/Favors will be switching on certain matchups with Rubio or Neto on the floor but when Exum is there he is able to stick with his man a lot more often than Rubio and Neto combined and it results in Gobert/Favors switching while Exum sticks to his man which leaves the roll or pop man open.

I would argue that Gobert's defensive impact is much better in a PnR when Exum is there over any of the other guards since he should in theory be able to stay home a bit more, but there's a pretty clear change in the defensive scheme from last year to this year which involves the bigs hedging or straight out switching on more of those PnRs and Exum has been getting benched lately because he isn't playing within the scheme defensively let alone all of his well documented offensive struggles here.

Exum is actually very good at getting through screens for a guard, it actually causes the Jazz' defense problems at times because Gobert/Favors will be switching on certain matchups with Rubio or Neto on the floor but when Exum is there he is able to stick with his man a lot more often than Rubio and Neto combined and it results in Gobert/Favors switching while Exum sticks to his man which leaves the roll or pop man open.

I would argue that Gobert's defensive impact is much better in a PnR when Exum is there over any of the other guards since he should in theory be able to stay home a bit more, but there's a pretty clear change in the defensive scheme from last year to this year which involves the bigs hedging or straight out switching on more of those PnRs and Exum has been getting benched lately because he isn't playing within the scheme defensively let alone all of his well documented offensive struggles here.

Astute observations

Just watched the ending of the Rockets-Mavs game. The Rockets are not 3 games behind us and in sole possession of the 2nd worst record in the west.