What's new

jazzfanz AWESOME Fantasy Basketball League

Got a private forum for the league.

We'll do the draft there, and use it to keep everything in order.

League Members get the password when they pay!

Read slower and when in doubt google.

If you're asking if people dropped out, Orangello and SpyCam are both MIA, but we picked up a couple others. Were sitting at 9 right now. Hopefully we can get Orange and Spy in.

If you're asking if people dropped out, Orangello and SpyCam are both MIA, but we picked up a couple others. Were sitting at 9 right now. Hopefully we can get Orange and Spy in.

I'm a numbers guy.. Was just wondering, typically, how many commit vs actual.

hey you should make a thread for the league. So we can have somewhere to talk about league stuff that isn't full of a bunch of other BS to sift through.

I'm a numbers guy.. Was just wondering, typically, how many commit vs actual.

Is this a question? Are you deliberately trying to confuse me? haha

You definitely always lose some people before the draft. That's why I like to do buy ins, weeds out the ones who would drop out anyways.

In a no money league I'd say out of 10 that commit, 3 or 4 will see the league through.

With a buy in it'll be more like 9-10 people.

Cool. I meant (focus this time) how many say yes but don't pay up.

Usually everyone who says they'll join knowing its a pay league actually pays, but I'm usually doing leagues with people I know. Only other time I did a pay league on jazzfanz it actually filled up pretty fast.

We won't start the draft til everyone pays though.

Awesome Fantasy Basketball League

My goal in making this league is for it to be very involving and active, without it being a chore for league members to manage their team. I've ran probably 20 fantasy leagues over the years and I feel like I know what will make a fun league.

LEAGUE RULES

Keeper League: I think the best way to make this league more engrossing is to make it a keeper league. If you don't know what a keeper league is, it just means that at the end of the year you will designate a certain amount of keepers that will stay on your team for the next season. This makes the players feel more like "your guys" and also makes roster moves more important. I'm thinking around 8 keepers per year, but that will depend partially on the size of the league.

Buy In: There will be a $50 league buy in. I know that this is high for some people but the buy-in needs to be somewhat high to keep the league ultra competitive and interesting. I have plans to do weekly prizes, and obviously end of season payouts and also creative ways to incentivize people to stay in the league from year to year. If you want to know specifics, ask, otherwise I'll spell everything out once the league is full.

Standard Scoring: The scoring will be standard 8 category scoring.

Rosters: The roster size will partially depend on how many teams we end up with in the league. There is a sweet spot I want to hit on the amount of players rostered and the amount left on the waiver wire

Weekly Auction Players on the waiver wire will be claimed by auction at the beginning of every week. Each team will have a certain amount of money for the year to bid on free agents. This is handled on ESPN and is very simple. This solves the probem of people adding and dropping players every single day to gain an advantage. The priority will be placed on who builds the best team rather than who is willing to spend the most time rotating their roster.

D League: Something that I think will make this league cool is the "D League" element. Most of us love tracking rookies and sophomores, but in fantasy they are not all that valuable. In this league, each team will be able to carry up to 3 players on their D League squad. These players will not affect the roster space on your real team. Players will remain on your D League team until you "call them up" to your real team or until they enter their 3rd NBA season. Derrick Favors is a good example of a guy that you would've wanted to stash on your D League roster. Almost no fantasy value his rookie year, a little value his 2nd year, but could have huge value going forward in his career. Once a player has been called up from your D League, they will not be allowed to go back, so make sure they are ready. If all this seems confusing, don't worry I have come up with a simple way of handing this part of the league.

Rookie Draft Each year we will have a rookie draft that will take place sometime after the real NBA draft. I'll give more details on this later.

Un Kept players draft We will draft the un kept players before the start of the season. About half of your roster will be kept, and half will go back into this draft.

Weekly Contests I'll explain this in detail later, but these contests will increase the value of your "franchise" if you win and will be simple things like, "player with the most points in one night" etc

Initial DRAFT I was thinking about this, and it seems possible that we could do the draft on jazzfanz over the next month. It seems like people are excited to get started and that would get us started really soon and give us something fun to do leading up to the start of the season. Or we can obviously do a live online draft through ESPN at the end of October.

I'm probably forgetting to add stuff, so just ask. I have it all planned out in my head, just hard to type it all out. I'll add more to this post as needed.

I know 10 people have signed up so far, either tell me here or PM me if you want in or out and I'll send you my PayPal info. If you have concerns about that, there are people on jazzfanz that should be able to vouch for me (probly haha)

Any new people, PM me or tell me here. Looking for as many as 14.

I really think this will be a fun league, let me know if anything needs explaining.

UGLI,

I just PM'ed you. You know I'm in. I just wanted to offer my general thoughts on some things you mention here. I fully understand it's your league and I'm not trying to step on your toes but I think it's good to have open dialogue here and have rules and such straightened out pre-draft.

Keeper--We have to do this. This is why I'm joining. That said, keeping eight player is way too many imo. I think 3-5 is good. We want there to be liquidity year over year. Otherwise, the first few rounds are not only weak in prospects, they're thin as far helping out those teams who are keeping the some knuckleheads because their team sucked the year before. While we don't want to punish those who draft really well, I still think eight is too many. At the absolute most, I would say six guys, one center, two forwards, two guards, and one player atb any position who was drafted in round five on, or something to that effect.

Money-$50's good. I wouldn't offer too many weekly and other such prizes or it'll make the final prizes sort of week. IMO, we don't need too many incentives. We're adults and know what we're getting into here.

Scoring--what are the eight categories again?

Weekly Auction--As far as the dollar amount each has to buy auctioned players, is this real money? In other words, might I have to put in another $30 on top of the original $50 entry?

D League--I think we should be able to call up a player but be able to send them back down and call them back up once more. Maybe twice more. Also, once I name my three D League guys at the beginning of the year, they're on my team for two years no matter what, and don't count toward the number of keepers I can keep?

I would not have two separate drafts...just one with vets and rookies. Mixing it up like that makes strategy more important.

Just my two cents. Now email me the G'damn link.

UGLI,

I just PM'ed you. You know I'm in. I just wanted to offer my general thoughts on some things you mention here. I fully understand it's your league and I'm not trying to step on your toes but I think it's good to have open dialogue here and have rules and such straightened out pre-draft.

Keeper--We have to do this. This is why I'm joining. That said, keeping eight player is way too many imo. I think 3-5 is good. We want there to be liquidity year over year. Otherwise, the first few rounds are not only weak in prospects, they're thin as far helping out those teams who are keeping the some knuckleheads because their team sucked the year before. While we don't want to punish those who draft really well, I still think eight is too many. At the absolute most, I would say six guys, one center, two forwards, two guards, and one player atb any position who was drafted in round five on, or something to that effect.

Money-$50's good. I wouldn't offer too many weekly and other such prizes or it'll make the final prizes sort of week. IMO, we don't need too many incentives. We're adults and know what we're getting into here.

Scoring--what are the eight categories again?

Weekly Auction--As far as the dollar amount each has to buy auctioned players, is this real money? In other words, might I have to put in another $30 on top of the original $50 entry?

D League--I think we should be able to call up a player but be able to send them back down and call them back up once more. Maybe twice more. Also, once I name my three D League guys at the beginning of the year, they're on my team for two years no matter what, and don't count toward the number of keepers I can keep?

I would not have two separate drafts...just one with vets and rookies. Mixing it up like that makes strategy more important.

Just my two cents. Now email me the G'damn link.

I appreciate the thoughts and I'm definetely up for having an open dialogue about it.

Keepers: My reasoning for having it be high is that I want it to really feel like it is your "franchise." If you only keep 3 guys all that happens is the elite guys will always be kept. No chance at stashing guys with high upside and really no strategy. With only a few guys it's way to obvious who to keep. I want there to be thought involved in who you keep so that by year 3 of the league you could have a guy that you've been holding onto the first couple years that really starts to pay dividends. Also, with a low amount of keepers it basically renders the D league part of the league useless. Let's say I had drafted Favors when he came out of college and left him on my D League squad the first 2 years. Then last offseason I would've had to choose to keep him or put him back in the re draft. With a small amount of keepers there is almost no way I would've kept him, even though he is the perfect example of why the D league will be fun in this league. With 8 keepers and 15 man rosters, that still leaves some talent in the re-draft every year. We can look into it more, but IMO if you're doing a keeper league you should actually keep a good amount of players or else there is just no strategy. I have a creative idea o help with roster turnover in the league down the road, but I need to think of it more to see if it makes sense.

Money: I agree on the weekly prizes. I'm not going to do any at all. I have thought of a way to keep interest in the league from year to year though, I'll post about it in the league forum.

Scoring: FG% FT (either % or FTM, still messing around with it) REB BLK AST 3PM PTS STL

Weekly Auction: No not real money. The reasoning for the Auction is because I hate it when fantasy basketball just becomes a contest about who can be the most persistent at picking up guys everyday and plugging them into their roster. It should be about spotting talent. The auction takes place at the start of every week and you submit blind bids for players you want. It's not something you have to be present for or anything and is really simple.

D League: The reason why I said only one call up is because it will be too tedious and confusing for me to move players from your D League to ESPN roster all the time. So think of the D League as just a place to stash players til you are ready to use a roster spot on them, not as extra roster space to be filtering guys to and from your team. The only exception to this will be if, for example, I called a player from my D League team to my real team, then dropped him outright and you picked him up, he could go onto your D League team because he has never been on your team. If this doesn't make sense, I'll explain the D League part in detail later. The D League players can stay on your D League roster their 1st and 2nd years in the league, after their sophomore year you have to decide to use them as one of your keepers or release them into the re draft player pool. Also, if you call them up at any point that means you would have to use a keeper spot to retain them.

Seperate drafts: The two drafts is partly for fun and to give us something to do in the off season. Shortly after the NBA draft we will have our rookie draft. After the rookie draft you will have to decide who stays and goes from your D League squad, then before the season we will have the re draft for free agents that were not kept.

Thanks for the feedback.

Having read all of it, I see your reasoning some on keepers but still think eight is too many. I think six would be good as there would still be the chance to get a very strong, impact player. Keeping eight just about eliminates that possibility imo and limits us to the rookie draft for having any such hope and unless you have a top three pick in the rookie draft, getting a stud there is even unlikely. If you want to do eight, that's cool though. My only real issue is with having two drafts. It takes away from strategy and determining where to pick the rookies compared to if they were just mixed in with the vets. Additionally, the team who gets the first pick in the rookie draft would also presumably get the first pick in the regular draft. In certain years, someone would be able to get Blake Griffin AND also get the best vet who wasn't kept. Not sure that's fair. Hey, you sucked, here's two first overall picks.

Thanks for the feedback.

Having read all of it, I see your reasoning some on keepers but still think eight is too many. I think six would be good as there would still be the chance to get a very strong, impact player. Keeping eight just about eliminates that possibility imo and limits us to the rookie draft for having any such hope and unless you have a top three pick in the rookie draft, getting a stud there is even unlikely. If you want to do eight, that's cool though. My only real issue is with having two drafts. It takes away from strategy and determining where to pick the rookies compared to if they were just mixed in with the vets. Additionally, the team who gets the first pick in the rookie draft would also presumably get the first pick in the regular draft. In certain years, someone would be able to get Blake Griffin AND also get the best vet who wasn't kept. Not sure that's fair. Hey, you sucked, here's two first overall picks.

For the keepers, I see what you're saying about the league being somewhat stagnant, and if you don't have a good roster it might be a little hard to turn things around. I'm trying to come up with some ideas to help with that. let me know what you think, not saying I'll do either, just want feedback.

Ideas:

Put a limit on how long players can be kept. I actually think this could be a really good idea, I just have to think of what makes the most sense.

Make it so you can keep 6-8 players. There could be two "supplemental" rounds after the first round of the re draft, if you kept 7 guys you would get one pick, 6 guys 2 picks.

I'll think of something before the draft, I want there to be continuity, and the chance to really build a team with young guys, but not make it too hard to go from a crappy team to a good one.

With the two drafts, I'm thinking there will be a lottery between non playoff teams for the rookie draft (all even odds so there is no tanking) and either a lottery with odds dependent on finish or just a straight drawing for the re-draft. With it being snake, I'm not sure that there is even an advantage (could be a disadvantage) in going first in the re-draft.

I think the basis for the league is really good, but could be tweaked a little and I appreciate the input. Hopefully we can get most or all of this stuff locked down before the draft so there is no confusion or complaining.