What's new

Jazzfanz BIG BOARD rankings ROUND 7

If all of these players were available who would you want The Jazz to pick?

• Al-Farouq Aminu

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Cole Aldrich

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Ed Davis

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Ekpe Udoh

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Gordon Honzward

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Hassan Whiteside

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Luke Babbit

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Patrick Patterson

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Paul George

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Xavier Henry

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters
Aldrich provides immediate help at the most glaring position of need. Aminu either becomes the next AK or just a taller version of Ronnie B. Udoh is a possibility.

Ultimately, I think AK's contract can be traded more easily at the deadline for a starting wing. Decent centers just don't get traded that often (Pau being the exception). Edge to Aldrich.

My personal big board, in levels:

1. Wall & Turner
2. Favors
3. Cousins & Johnson
4. Monroe, Henry, Aminu, Aldrich

The above are my "Top Nine". If the Jazz get any of them, I will consider the darft a success.

5. Honzward & Patterson

6. Babbitt, Davis, Edoh, George

Our boards are similar with a few differences.

1. Wall

2. Turner and Favors

3. Cousins and Johnson (I would actually have Cousins as level 2 if not for the fact that he seems so destined to fail.

4. Monroe, Henry, Aminu

I view Henry as a true inside/outside threat in the NBA who can space the floor and slash and with a big enough body that he should at least be competent defensively. I think his problems at this stage are highly fixable.

Aminu strikes me as more athlete than ball player and too much of a risk of turning into a player that can be zoned out of the game. Hence, why I have him rated lower than Henry.

5. Babbitt

I gave him his own level because I have a strong preference for him as the final person for the nine-slot on the big board. I think he's the closest thing to a Korver in this year's draft and given his ball-handling ability might actually be more skilled. If we drafted him, I think that's the end of the Korver era in Utah.

I also have a strong preference for him over Honzward because a) I have a general aversion to guys who seem to have an inordinately large percentage of their resume for drafting them high based on a small sample size (i.e. a March Madness run of 5 games and thigns that occur after the tournament) and b) I have no idea who he's going to defend in the NBA. Too small to be a PF, too white to guard the wings. Babbitt at least seems to have a little speed to him.

I also think Hayward will have problems with NBA defenses. Draftexpress attributed a lot of the decline in his shooting numbers from distance to the fact that his shots were contested much more frequently as a sophomore than as a freshman. I don't think he's going to get a lot of uncontested looks in the NBA so that sub-30% three point shooting number doesn't strike me as a fluke.

6. Paul George, Damion James, Honzward

7. The big-guy pupu platter. Aldrich, Whiteside, Patterson, Udoh, Davis, Orton

I think all will suck in the NBA and Aldrich is the only person I'm entertaining as an exception. I have difficulty forecasting any of them as better than roleplayers in the league.

I agree for the most part with Kicky... I think Babbit and George could be special players. I'm not on the Xavier Henry bandwagon yet and think he could end up being a Gerald Henderson-type nice college player, but so-so pro.

I also think Whiteside could easily be an Andray Blatche-caliber player in less than 2 years. Who cares if he doesn't interview well. He wants to play and he's worked on his game. Try interviewing Ron Artest or Shaq when he first came in the league.

Cole Aldrich could turn out to be as good as a Spencer Hawes meets Kendrick Perkins, but I'm not all that excited even if he does. A safe pick I guess.

Last edited:
Isn't Charlie Babbitt the guy who the scouts are asking, "Who will he be be able to guard in the NBA?" That's never a good question you want to hear about a prospect and if my memory is correct on that, I want nothing to do with him.

Then, again, that mother can count cards which could bring in beaucoup bucks to Greggy boy and spark him to spend like L.A. and Co.

I'm warming up to Henry.

Isn't Charlie Babbitt the guy who the scouts are asking, "Who will he be be able to guard in the NBA?" That's never a good question you want to hear about a prospect and if my memory is correct on that, I want nothing to do with him.

In terms of guarding guys, what is the difference between him and any other player in the draft?

As a North Carolina fan I have seen Davis quite a bit. True he needs to bulk up, but he has the kind of length and athleticism we have been missing up front and can play both the 4 and 5. The problem is that he is probably about 2 years away from really being good. Considering DWill's contract situation we may play it safe and go with someone who can contribute more quickly, but I think Davis will be really good in a couple of years.

In terms of guarding guys, what is the difference between him and any other player in the draft?

He's not as good at it. Lacks lateral quickness to guard a 3 and lacks strength to guard a 4. He's the very definition of a tweener.

He's not as good at it. Lacks lateral quickness to guard a 3 and lacks strength to guard a 4. He's the very definition of a tweener.

I think this is more true of Honzward than it is of Babbit, but it's close

Hayward:

6'8" tall
8'7" standing reach
11.73 seconds lane agility drill
3.22 seconds 3/4 court sprint
34.5" max vertical leap
10 bench presses

oh and 29.4% 3PFG%

Babbitt:

6' 8.75" tall (yes, that is literally how it is recorded)
8' 8.5" standing reach
10.98 second lane agility drill
3.4 seconds 3/4 court sprint
37.5" max vertical leap
15 bench presses (and yes, I know this has little correlation with success in the NBA)

oh and 41.6% 3PFG%

Babbitt looks better physically in literally every metric imaginable except for a flat-out up-down sprint. He's bigger, stronger, more agile (i.e. more lateral quickness), and jumps higher. He's also a lot better shooter. He's even younger by a few months.

When you think about him as being a better physical specimen and probably having better skills based upon their body of work outside of one five game stretch it seems like a no brainer.

I think this is more true of Honzward than it is of Babbit, but it's close

Hayward:

6'8" tall
8'7" standing reach
11.73 seconds lane agility drill
3.22 seconds 3/4 court sprint
34.5" max vertical leap
10 bench presses

oh and 29.4% 3PFG%

Babbitt:

6' 8.75" tall (yes, that is literally how it is recorded)
8' 8.5" standing reach
10.98 second lane agility drill
3.4 seconds 3/4 court sprint
37.5" max vertical leap
15 bench presses (and yes, I know this has little correlation with success in the NBA)

oh and 41.6% 3PFG%

Babbitt looks better physically in literally every metric imaginable except for a flat-out up-down sprint. He's bigger, stronger, more agile (i.e. more lateral quickness), and jumps higher. He's also a lot better shooter. He's even younger by a few months.

When you think about him as being a better physical specimen and probably having better skills based upon their body of work outside of one five game stretch it seems like a no brainer.

I don't debate that. I actually probably like Babbitt more than Hayward (although that's not saying so much). I was just answering SJF's question.

I don't debate that. I actually probably like Babbitt more than Hayward (although that's not saying so much). I was just answering SJF's question.

But for his size (heck, even against smaller guys) he's just as quick laterally as anybody else. Hayward is just one example - despite being a full inch taller than Hayward, he's almost an entire second (an eternity) faster in the lane agility. There is nothing that shows he lacks lateral quickness (for a 3) or strength (for a 4) in comparison with his peers in the draft.

All of you doubting Hayward's ability to transition into the NBA and his ability to defend are clueless. Babbitt > Hayward? Just plain dumb. Babbitt is soft, Hayward is as tough as they come. Also, I believe that Hayward's down shooting year can be attributed to him having to create a lot of those looks of the dribble and just losing confidence. Hell, even Ray Allen has had down shooting years. Dude has a sweet stroke, so I have no doubts that he will drain catch and shoot 3's in the future.

Allen's lowest 3pt% was 35.6 in the lockout year.

Never got below 40% in college.

Based on that, Hayward's worst 3pt% in the pros will be 5 points lower than his worst in college, so 23% or so?

I think the Babbit vs. Hayward debate is moot. I think if the Jazz go for a wing, they'll take Paul George if they can and Xavier Henry if they can't. Babbit might be in play, but I'd be surprised if Hayward is really in the picture.

You're right, my bad, Honzward's worst 3pt% in the pros will be 5 points lower than his worst in college.

Seriously, I love Hayward's shooting stroke and he has shown the ability to drain 3's as a freshman. I believe he will drain 3's as a pro. He's not as good of a shooter as Ray Allen, but who is?

Hayward is a ways away from helping an NBA team. I saw him while he was in town and he is going to need to put in a lot of work to get his body anywhere close to NBA ready. Also, he isn't big enough to play the 4 in the NBA, so he is strictly a 3, and in that case he needs to improve his jumper a lot since he's only an average athlete at best.