What's new

Jazzfanz Bookclub

I recently read the entire Anastasia Krupnick series by Lois Lowry.

It's kids literature, but it's exceptionally good children's literature that, in many ways, probably wouldn't be publishable today.

Just finished Driven

60456123.JPG

I waited a long time to read it. I found it a very good read. Quite interesting, IMO.

I finally finished reading Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. That book was a doozy.

Anyway, I have a subscription to Vanity Fair and Esquire...those two magazines keep me busy...as well as find Robert D. Kaplan articles on the web.

I've read a few since last month, but this is the one that stood out and I ended up buying on Amazon just barely:

inside-american-education-thomas-sowell-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

I love Thomas Sowell when he is in scathing mode. 100/10. Read it.

I recently read the entire Anastasia Krupnick series by Lois Lowry.

It's kids literature, but it's exceptionally good children's literature that, in many ways, probably wouldn't be publishable today.

I think one of the best books ever written is Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. Children's literature, but so well written that adults can enjoy it.

in a similar vein, I just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, it's about a young girl in Nazi Germany, c. 1940. I think technically it's listed as "Young Adult Fiction" and it's won all sorts of literary awards, in a variety of categories including many for children and young adults.

It's an amazingly well-crafted story.

I think one of the best books ever written is Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. Children's literature, but so well written that adults can enjoy it.

in a similar vein, I just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, it's about a young girl in Nazi Germany, c. 1940. I think technically it's listed as "Young Adult Fiction" and it's won all sorts of literary awards, in a variety of categories including many for children and young adults.

It's an amazingly well-crafted story.

Lowry's great! I teach The Giver which is freakin' tight.

Last weekend I read War and Peace (Tolstoy). Well on Saturday, Sunday I was busy. Monday I had the day off work so I read Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoyevsky). Russian tri-fecta ftw.

Last weekend I read War and Peace (Tolstoy). Well on Saturday, Sunday I was busy. Monday I had the day off work so I read Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoyevsky). Russian tri-fecta ftw.

Were these the comic book adaptations?

The Reagan Diaries? Just kill everyone now. It.... The Best of Times...? Jesus. It gets worse.

I want this farce of a civilization to end. I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse. Please let it happen.

The last book I read was "Double Duty, Dual Identity: Raised in an Alcoholic Family and Food Addicted," by Claudia Black.

You read a 1,000+ epic novel in one day, and then another 1,000+ pages of two other books the next day? Either you're full of dump, or we should start calling your Raymond.

Ten minutes to Wapner.

I'm currently reading Lolita. On a whim, I actually read a hundred pages worth or so of kindle app The Brothers Karamazov last week, but I put it on the back-burner in exchange for the aforementioned Lolita; which is okay as I know The Brothers Karamazov like the back of my hand and I'd never previously read any Nabokov.

The last book I finished was David Foster Wallace's Consider The Lobster. Which was good. As an aside, I have not read Infinite Jest and I generally have a dim opinion of reading contemporary literary fiction.

I'm reading "The Master and Margarita," by Russian novelist Mikhail Bulgakov. It's a tough read, but it's getting pretty wild.