What's new

Jazzfanz Bookclub

wait, that's not a very broish thing to be doing.

nm, i just started some Chuck Clostermann "book."

I just started The Trees in My Forest by Bernd Heinrich. Should be good.

Im an idiot...thank you.

SHOCK-1.jpg

I finally finished The Epic of King Gesar. The longest book ever written.

I also finished Ultrafast Processes in Spectroscopy. Awesome book!

This book changed my life...

everyone-poops.jpg

Anything by Bill Bryson is awesome.

Recently I finished two great biographies. The first one, Genius, is about the life of Richard Feynman who, quite frankly, might have been one of the most stunningly cerebral guys to have ever existed. One cool example: the book recounts a seminar he gave while doing his PhD - in the audience was Einstein, John Wheeler, Bohr, and a few other big wigs. Someone asked Feynman about the derivation of some equation, and he instantly sprang to the board and was out-calculating all of them combined. But his genius extended well beyond little flourishes like that. Recommended reading.

The other biography I read was called The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan. Srinivasa Ramanujan was a self-taught Indian mathematical prodigy. To say he was a genius is likely to discredit the word. So advanced were his findings that they are only today (80 years ex post facto) being understood and incorporated into broader realms.

Anything by Bill Bryson is awesome.

Recently I finished two great biographies. The first one, Genius, is about the life of Richard Feynman who, quite frankly, might have been one of the most stunningly cerebral guys to have ever existed. One cool example: the book recounts a seminar he gave while doing his PhD - in the audience was Einstein, John Wheeler, Bohr, and a few other big wigs. Someone asked Feynman about the derivation of some equation, and he instantly sprang to the board and was out-calculating all of them combined. But his genius extended well beyond little flourishes like that. Recommended reading.

The other biography I read was called The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan. Srinivasa Ramanujan was a self-taught Indian mathematical prodigy. To say he was a genius is likely to discredit the word. So advanced were his findings that they are only today (80 years ex post facto) being understood and incorporated into broader realms.

Thanks broh, but if I want to feel stupid I'll try to watch that movie Contact. Way too intense.

Sagan is good, but for science-themed novels, I've always preferred Arthur Clarke or Michael Crichton. "Andromeda Strain" is one of my favorites.