What's new

Jeremy Evans info

So he had a max vertical reach four and a half inches higher than Derrick Favors, the best result at the combine? I find that information dubious to say the least.

He's a far more explosive leaper than Favors from what I have seen, however Favors has about 50 pounds on him or so? The only question is will he still be as explosive when/if he is able to put on 20 or so pounds of muscle?

He's a far more explosive leaper than Favors from what I have seen, however Favors has about 50 pounds on him or so? The only question is will he still be as explosive when/if he is able to put on 20 or so pounds of muscle?

Will he be able to put on 20 lbs of muscle? This guy is better of a 3, instead of a 4. Teach him how to shoot and run the baseline.

Will he be able to put on 20 lbs of muscle? This guy is better of a 3, instead of a 4. Teach him how to shoot and run the baseline.

With a little professional help anything is possible.

cushing_steroids.jpg

He has only a 3" less standing reach than Fesenko and Greg Oden? hmmmm... The 40" vertical that seems to be accurate.

Crazy dimensions, alternate dimensions even.

Jeremy Evans once cleared 6'10" in the high jump. I wouldn't be surprised if his Max Vert was Top 10 in the draft. I don't know what happens to that once he gains weight. But in the jumping department, right now, I'd say he'd probably impress most NBA players.

I went to high school with a couple twins who didn't come out for track 'til their senior year. One high jumped 6'6" his first time ever, with crappy form.

Oh yeah, he was mediocre in basketball though and we were a .500 team. My point? Does this Evans kid have skills?

This was my two cents as posted in the Summer League thread:

2nd rounder Evans was looking good. He was a force defensively in this game. (And lots of dunks.) I think he "let loose" a little being the last game and was getting alley opps and such. He really looks like a young, thin AK. Long, quick hops, weak side d helper. Nice. I was impressed with him today. Once a bigger guy (they referred to him with an "NBA body already") posted up Evans, bumped him back and then Evan recovered quickly to go straight up and block his shot. Nice again. And he was able to time his rebound pretty well. Nice again. He's not Donyell Marshall or Booze but good enough to look like a rebounder compared to his peers out there. I find it shocking that there are guys at the near-NBA level who can't time a reb. But its real.

Hayward is a bit decieving. He is stronger, bigger than just a skinny kid. His pre-draft athletic measurements were good, but he seems a bit awkward. He drives to the hole, a bit out of control, but gets the fouls. (He will not get that favor for some time in NBA.) He's dogged abit here for not being a shooter, but ends up 60%/40%/90% for the week. The part that has no deception about it is his passing. A couple of times that Gaines gave (had to) the ball to Hawyward out front so that he starts the offense, Hayward was able to initiate the offense with a good pass, with the right timing that the next player was in a position to continue the play. This is the essense of the "starting the offense" thing that appears to be nothing but is a real value. Secondly, when he did get the ball on the wing, he generally had a good pass into the post or to the cutter. he'll be a good passing wing for certain.

Both Gaines and Jeffers appeared to be playing like they should just do the scoring becuae they're "NBA players." I'm guessing they'll get the invites back to camp, but if i was coaching, i would have told them - "you are guaranteed to camp based upon your individual skills, now just go out and run the offense." I guess though if they enable others to look good its not good for them...

Ultimately, I think Evans (and of course Hayward) will be on the team next fall. Evans will d-league it for a while for certain but he's got NBA potential. I'm not thinking any of the new guys from this event was obvious to me to make camp.

I went to high school with a couple twins who didn't come out for track 'til their senior year. One high jumped 6'6" his first time ever, with crappy form.

Oh yeah, he was mediocre in basketball though and we were a .500 team. My point? Does this Evans kid have skills?

I completely agree. Jumping real high is one tiny component of the game. But I like guys who can jump really high. Especially guys that long.

This was my two cents as posted in the Summer League thread:

2nd rounder Evans was looking good. He was a force defensively in this game. (And lots of dunks.) I think he "let loose" a little being the last game and was getting alley opps and such. He really looks like a young, thin AK. Long, quick hops, weak side d helper. Nice. I was impressed with him today. Once a bigger guy (they referred to him with an "NBA body already") posted up Evans, bumped him back and then Evan recovered quickly to go straight up and block his shot. Nice again. And he was able to time his rebound pretty well. Nice again. He's not Donyell Marshall or Booze but good enough to look like a rebounder compared to his peers out there. I find it shocking that there are guys at the near-NBA level who can't time a reb. But its real.

Hayward is a bit decieving. He is stronger, bigger than just a skinny kid. His pre-draft athletic measurements were good, but he seems a bit awkward. He drives to the hole, a bit out of control, but gets the fouls. (He will not get that favor for some time in NBA.) He's dogged abit here for not being a shooter, but ends up 60%/40%/90% for the week. The part that has no deception about it is his passing. A couple of times that Gaines gave (had to) the ball to Hawyward out front so that he starts the offense, Hayward was able to initiate the offense with a good pass, with the right timing that the next player was in a position to continue the play. This is the essense of the "starting the offense" thing that appears to be nothing but is a real value. Secondly, when he did get the ball on the wing, he generally had a good pass into the post or to the cutter. he'll be a good passing wing for certain.

Both Gaines and Jeffers appeared to be playing like they should just do the scoring becuae they're "NBA players." I'm guessing they'll get the invites back to camp, but if i was coaching, i would have told them - "you are guaranteed to camp based upon your individual skills, now just go out and run the offense." I guess though if they enable others to look good its not good for them...

Ultimately, I think Evans (and of course Hayward) will be on the team next fall. Evans will d-league it for a while for certain but he's got NBA potential. I'm not thinking any of the new guys from this event was obvious to me to make camp.

Good analysis. I thought Augustine started off strong, then kind of disappeared. Davidson had some nice games. Other than that, no one else really stood out. Davidison and Augustine might get invited to TC - along with Gaines, Jeffers, Evans and Hayward. But I wouldn't mind seeing the Jazz finding veteran replacements for Gaines and Jeffers.