What's new

Jeremy Evans

Right now I'd say the Jazz are more interested in his defensive and rebounding skills than his offensive game. I liked Larry Sanders, a similar player, and he went at #15 in the 1st round. Getting Evans at #55 was well worth a shot, as I understand this kid is seriously quick athletically.

Sanders weighs almost 30 lbs. more than this kid. Evans is really skinny. I recall 196 lbs. being mentioned.

I've heard evans has a great wingspan but cant seem to find a number on it, does anyone know his wingspan?

This Evans is no Ed Davis good lord. If he was, he would have gone right there with him. He averaged 10 points in a measly conference and was on the all 3rd team in the conference while Davis averaged 13,10 and 3 blocks. He may be right there athletically but not talent wise at all. I like the pick but he is no ed Davis, Ed had a pretty good post game

This Evans is no Ed Davis good lord. If he was, he would have gone right there with him. He averaged 10 points in a measly conference and was on the all 3rd team in the conference while Davis averaged 13,10 and 3 blocks. He may be right there athletically but not talent wise at all. I like the pick but he is no ed Davis, Ed had a pretty good post game

Hello Jazz fans. I am a from WKU and actually a friend of his.

To reply to this particular post, let me say that Jeremy's stats are misleading. He was played out of position for 3 of his 4 seasons at WKU. Also we run a very guard oriented offense. Jeremy had to rely on mostly offensive rebounds, putbacks, and alley-oops to score his points. We rarely ran set plays for our post players.

His biggest presence for us was on the defensive end and his shot blocking ability. He surpassed Chris Marcus who was an all-american and projected top 3 lottery pick back in 2001 (before he injured himself and became an alcoholic) as the all time leader in blocked shots at WKU. And while his rebound numbers don't jump out at you. He is an excellent rebounder. That stat is also misleading because he would tip the ball to guards often to start the fastbreak. Tips don't go down as rebounds as I am sure you are aware.

My point is Jeremy could have easily averaged 13,10, and 3 in a different system.

Are conference awards are a crock anyway. We win almost everything in our conference year after year. So the committee tends to stick it to us on conference awards most years. The Sun Belt is a crappy conference, but WKU is the cream of the crop. We have always had talent and are recognized as one of the top 20 college basketball programs of all time.

Well I will leave it at that for now. If you all have any more questions about Jeremy feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer. You really got a great player and a great guy. Hope you all come to love him as much as all of us at WKU have.

Hello Jazz fans. I am a from WKU and actually a friend of his.

To reply to this particular post, let me say that Jeremy's stats are misleading. He was played out of position for 3 of his 4 seasons at WKU. Also we run a very guard oriented offense. Jeremy had to rely on mostly offensive rebounds, putbacks, and alley-oops to score his points. We rarely ran set plays for our post players.

His biggest presence for us was on the defensive end and his shot blocking ability. He surpassed Chris Marcus who was an all-american and projected top 3 lottery pick back in 2001 (before he injured himself and became an alcoholic) as the all time leader in blocked shots at WKU. And while his rebound numbers don't jump out at you. He is an excellent rebounder. That stat is also misleading because he would tip the ball to guards often to start the fastbreak. Tips don't go down as rebounds as I am sure you are aware.

My point is Jeremy could have easily averaged 13,10, and 3 in a different system.

Are conference awards are a crock anyway. We win almost everything in our conference year after year. So the committee tends to stick it to us on conference awards most years. The Sun Belt is a crappy conference, but WKU is the cream of the crop. We have always had talent and are recognized as one of the top 20 college basketball programs of all time.

Well I will leave it at that for now. If you all have any more questions about Jeremy feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer. You really got a great player and a great guy. Hope you all come to love him as much as all of us at WKU have.

Welcome to the board and thanks for the insight but I think you are overrating WKU. I would like to hear your argument for WKU being the top 20 college program of all-time. Can Evans shoot from outside? Does his shot need to be reworked or does he just need to tweak it? Do you think he can put weight on or is it just better that he tries to convert to SF.

Welcome to the board and thanks for the insight but I think you are overrating WKU. I would like to hear your argument for WKU being the top 20 college program of all-time. Can Evans shoot from outside? Does his shot need to be reworked or does he just need to tweak it? Do you think he can put weight on or is it just better that he tries to convert to SF.

I will be happy to educate you on WKU:

41 conference championships (3rd most in NCAA history behind only UK and KU).
40 seasons with 20+ wins (6th most in NCAA history)
1st team to ever win 30+ games in a season
36 all-americans
34 national post-season appearances
21 NCAA Tournament berths
13 NIT berths (most of those when the NIT was "THE" postseason tournament)
14th in NCAA history in all-time wins (1,627)
8th in NCAA history in all-time winning percentage (.673)
4 Final Fours.
Former headcoach EA Diddle was all-time winningest coach at retirement.

Hope that provides enough clarity for you to see that I am not overrating them.

As for your questions on Jeremy (aka weaksauce), He can shoot from the outside but rarely ever did. I have seen him in practice and pre-game warm ups stroking college range 3's. He does have kind of a slow release on his long range jump shots though. His athleticism always made up the difference in that area, but I know it will need a little tweaking for the NBA. But he has a quick release closer to the basket.

I wouldnt count on him putting on too much weight. He might be able to push to get up to 220. But that is gonna take a lot of work. He has the fastest metabolism ever. The coaches and trainers here tried to get weight on him ever since he was a freshman. He put on about 10 lbs during his for years here. That is with the coaches making him eat everything in sight too lol. However, Jeremy did work with one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the league in the weeks leading up to the draft and put on 8 more lbs of muscle. So he roughly weighs about 205 now. I think 15 lbs is a reasonable goal for him to get to. I think he will be a decent SF in the league if he works in his ball handling and shooting. He has the same athletic build as Durant ( no i am not comparing him to Durant other then the body type). But I also think if he can get up to 220-225 lbs then he could be a decent PF. He is alot stronger then he looks, and his athleticism can make up for the lack of bulk against other PF.

36 all-americans
4 Final Fours.

As for your questions on Jeremy (aka weaksauce), He can shoot from the outside but rarely ever did. I have seen him in practice and pre-game warm ups stroking college range 3's. He does have kind of a slow release on his long range jump shots though. His athleticism always made up the difference in that area, but I know it will need a little tweaking for the NBA. But he has a quick release closer to the basket.

I wouldnt count on him putting on too much weight. He might be able to push to get up to 220. But that is gonna take a lot of work. He has the fastest metabolism ever. The coaches and trainers here tried to get weight on him ever since he was a freshman. He put on about 10 lbs during his for years here. That is with the coaches making him eat everything in sight too lol. However, Jeremy did work with one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the league in the weeks leading up to the draft and put on 8 more lbs of muscle. So he roughly weighs about 205 now. I think 15 lbs is a reasonable goal for him to get to. I think he will be a decent SF in the league if he works in his ball handling and shooting. He has the same athletic build as Durant ( no i am not comparing him to Durant other then the body type). But I also think if he can get up to 220-225 lbs then he could be a decent PF. He is alot stronger then he looks, and his athleticism can make up for the lack of bulk against other PF.

Does Evans like Kool-aid?

From Kentucky (though UK fan and not wku). Seen JE play and I think the pick was a reach, imo. Not without upside, but waaay too many picks behind him that would have made the roster and contibuted. No offense weak sauce, I guess we'll just have to wait, and hope, and see.

36 all-americans
4 Final Fours.

And, most importantly, Coach EA Diddle was the inspiration for Aerosmith's classic lyric ".....singin hey diddle diddle put your kitty in the middle...."

From Kentucky (though UK fan and not wku). Seen JE play and I think the pick was a reach, imo. Not without upside, but waaay too many picks behind him that would have made the roster and contibuted. No offense weak sauce, I guess we'll just have to wait, and hope, and see.

Another poster stated that Evans was at best the third best player on WK team this year. If the Kool-aid drinking dude can't put on weight right away, he has no shot to play in the NBA. Lee Cummard thinks he's a long shot. (I understand that's the second time I've ripped on Cummard today. I will stop now due to respect for his family.)

Your just upset because he chose not to take the "Chris Mills Scholarship"

Does it really matter who the 12th-13th guys are?
If he makes the team, he'll be in the D-League. Who knows, maybe the Jazz encourage him to sign with a Euro team so they can keep his rights while he develops a little more. That was the plan with Suton.
If Boozer doesn't re-sign and the Jazz don't get anything back in an S&T, which I think is likely to happen, then Benson and Evans have a decent shot at making the roster. At worst, Evans is a good-character, high-energy guy who will bring it in practice. And he'd be happy just making the team. He wouldn't complain about lack of P/T. Sloan likes those types of players.

I am not trying to over state his value or give you all a big pitcher of cool-aid. I was asked about his skill set and gave the answer. You notice most of my previous post were contingent on "if" he put on weight and if he worked at certain areas. Jeremy was drafted on his athleticism and potential. He has the potential to be a solid role player in the NBA for years. Now whether or not he makes that happen is up to him and how hard he works at it. I am not saying he will be the second coming or anything like that. Just that he has the potential to be a solid pick-up for you guys and have a nice NBA career.

Archie you are correct that Evans was the 3rd best player on our roster (but that could have been different in a different system). Dont listen to the UK fan when I say this, but that just speaks to the talent of WKU that I eluded to earlier. WKU other senior was pick up by the Pistons following the draft. We have a couple potential NBA players still on our roster. UK fans don't know much about WKU because UK is too scared to play us in a series. UK has only played WKU 5 times in both schools history. With WKU winning 2 of 5 meetings.

Anyways, this isnt the WKU vs UK debate. As I said how good Jeremy becomes is up to Jeremy. I don't think he will ever be more then a role player, but he can be a good one.