What's new

John Stockton on the Dan Patrick Show

Cool interview. I still wish they'd sign John and Karl to secretive ten day contracts and start them against a low grade team for 5 minutes. The crowd would go wild. And I know they could still produce in short bursts.

What ****ing toxic waste dump of pointless ****-talk did I just walk into? Why is anyone taking the position that one of the most efficient, durable, productive, and winningest players of all time THAT PLAYED FOR US just wasn't that good.

I'm going to take a shower.

This.
So much shame in this thread

I don't see the point in arguing who had the better career at this point, Spida, or Stockton. Zero point in that. I'm not going to argue who was the better player, point guard, peak, blablabla between Stock, Nash, Magic, or anyone else.

What I'm going to do is continue to enjoy the great season we just saw, and watch some highlights, and be content that I am 100% sure that most of our players will work their butts off and come back better next year, and that they will most likely keep in touch with each other and possibly train together in the off season.

Why would I ever even try to compare Stock to DM at this point? It proves nothing, and they are 100% different players.

I'm just going to watch DM's floater miss, putback destruction video over and over on an 10hr youtube stream for the next 4 months.

/cue video

What ****ing toxic waste dump of pointless ****-talk did I just walk into? Why is anyone taking the position that one of the most efficient, durable, productive, and winningest players of all time THAT PLAYED FOR US just wasn't that good.

I'm going to take a shower.

IQ of jazzfanz is going down, damn millennial's!! I think it was Ron Mexico that said he was old enough to watch Stockton play, not sure how he can have his opinion he has, having watched Stockton play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IQ of jazzfanz is going down, damn millennial's!! I think it was Ron Mexico that said he was old enough to watch Stockton play, not sure how he can have his opinion he has, having watched Stockton play.

Because I watched how much they lost and didnt just fall in love with him because he played here so long. He is great. Just not the best PG ever and not as good as a lot of Jazz fans think. You cant have the best PG ever and the best PF ever like many here think and have 0 championships.

Great regular season team. They had a very poor record in the playoffs during Stocktons good years.
Losing to the top-seeded teams, eventual NBA finalists, and/or the greatest center to ever live?

You got some entitlement issues. Those teams were great.

Losing to the top-seeded teams, eventual NBA finalists, and/or the greatest center to ever live?

Let's also not forget losing to the goat in the finals, of course he forgets to mention he made two straight finals and upped his game in the finals

Haha. You are hilarious. You love to romanticize the Stockton.

Why wouldn't Stockton want to turn it up every game, every year, every playoff series, like you say he was capable of doing? Wouldnt that make the team better? Wouldnt that help win playoff series and championships? He had one year where he put up those numbers in the first round (3) games (88/89). You would think with the lack of help the Jazz typically had he would have tried to shoulder the scoring load a little more. There were a lot of playoff games where the Jazz could have used Stockton's super hidden scoring abilities.

How'd this work out for Westbrook this post season? Stock played within the system. I can't find it, but at the time Phoenix coach Cotton Fitzsimmons said Stockton could be one of, it not the, highest scorers in the league if his focus wasn't on pass first. Which was his best asset.

The finals years were well into Stockton decline. They had a decade of losing to lower seeded teams and squandered opportunities before then. The finals years were great, it still sucks they lost those as well but that is not what I referenced.

The finals years were well into Stockton decline. They had a decade of losing to lower seeded teams and squandered opportunities before then. The finals years were great, it still sucks they lost those as well but that is not what I referenced.

You realize Stockton made the playoffs every year he was in the league, that's twenty playoffs, he was bound to have some disappointments. Also the jazz didn't lose in the playoffs because of Stockton and Malone, they lost because the talent they had around them was mostly substandard. The other team generally had more talent for the big two to overcome. The success they had was because of those two.

How'd this work out for Westbrook this post season? Stock played within the system. I can't find it, but at the time Phoenix coach Cotton Fitzsimmons said Stockton could be one of, it not the, highest scorers in the league if his focus wasn't on pass first. Which was his best asset.

Im glad you brought Westbrook up. He has been heralded for his statistical achievements. He has played in finals and hasnt won a championship. Sound like someone you know?

Might wanna read that again.

Additionally, how does Stockton not get credit for the finals teams?

Go ahead and resurrect this thread the next time someone averages 15 assists a game.

You realize Stockton made the playoffs every year he was in the league, that's twenty playoffs, he was bound to have some disappointments. Also the jazz didn't lose in the playoffs because of Stockton and Malone, they lost because the talent they had around them was mostly substandard. The other team generally had more talent for the big two to overcome. The success they had was because of those two.

If Stockton was short on help with the exception of Kark Malone and could have easily averaged 25 ppg, then why didnt he do it to help his team advance in the playoffs? Whats the point of watching your team lose when you could just turn it up and score more?

Im glad you brought Westbrook up. He has been heralded for his statistical achievements. He has played in finals and hasnt won a championship. Sound like someone you know?
Go and make the comparison of John Stockton and Russell Westbrook to anyone that knows half of anything and catalog the reactions.

Many of the things Stockton did were unheard of in his day, and still haven't been accomplished today, and we aren't talking about Simmons type athletes. Stockton was a 6-1 180lb dude who was slow and not nearly as athletic as his contemporaries, and yet you have guts like Payton saying he was a nightmare to guard, and others saying he could've averaged 25pts. Stockton is the greatest pg to play the game. Before you say Magic was better, yes as a player, but Stockton was the better POINT GUARD.

If Stockton was short on help with the exception of Kark Malone and could have easily averaged 25 ppg, then why didnt he do it to help his team advance in the playoffs? Whats the point of watching your team lose when you could just turn it up and score more?
Because that's not what he was told to do. He didn't call plays either. Just because he was 100% coachable doesn't mean he wasn't a great player. That's really quite a weird position to take.

I imagine something that's important for a (pure) point guard is being an extension of the coach on the floor, and the sets work best when everyone knows where they're supposed to be at all times, and it enables him to throw the pass INTO/AHEAD of the play, like a quarterback.

Stockton wasn't a crutch-leaner, he wasn't weak-willed, and he wasn't whatever garbage it is you're trying to hang around his neck for a reason I cannot understand. It's frankly offensive as a fan of basketball, saying nothing of being a Jazz fan.

Because that's not what he was told to do. He didn't call plays either. Just because he was 100% coachable doesn't mean he wasn't a great player. That's really quite a weird position to take.

I imagine something that's important for a (pure) point guard is being an extension of the coach on the floor, and the sets work best when everyone knows where they're supposed to be at all times, and it enables him to throw the pass INTO the play, like a quarterback.

Stockton wasn't a crutch-leaner, he wasn't weak-willed, and he wasn't whatever garbage it is you're trying to hang around his neck for a reason I cannot understand. It's frankly offensive as a fan of basketball, saying nothing of being a Jazz fan.

Stockton was selfless to a fault. Go back and YouTube the game six vs the Rockets. They couldn't stop him. The reason he never averaged more then 17pts was because he was so good at taking over a game without ever shooting, and he did that game after game, then once in a while he'd explode, and score 25-30 points, and it was always an efficient 25-30.

If you have one guy that plays 90 games a year (winning 50 in a down year), executes sets better than anyone ever has or will, and practically doesn't turn the ball over, it negates the need to have a bevy of ballhandlers attacking the defense. It marginalizes errors and roster turnover.