What's new

John Stockton on the Dan Patrick Show

I had seen a little bit of the interview previously, but thanks for posting the whole thing.

Great interview. Agree that players in today's game would have trouble playing against a lot of the old Jazz sets. I think one of the best forms of defense is a good offense. Wear out the opponent on D.

Great interview. Agree that players in today's game would have trouble playing against a lot of the old Jazz sets. I think one of the best forms of defense is a good offense. Wear out the opponent on D.
A good offense also limits transition opportunities by the other team, which helps your D.

The old Jazz offense would need to be tweaked to allow/encourage more three point shooting, though. That's the main weakness it would have in today's NBA, in my opinion.

A good offense also limits transition opportunities by the other team, which helps your D.

The old Jazz offense would need to be tweaked to allow/encourage more three point shooting, though. That's the main weakness it would have in today's NBA, in my opinion.

Completely agree. I have seen modified UCLA that gets a lot of open 3s. You do give up some open 3s for backcuts, but I think that would increase percentages overall by creating more open shots.

I think that running the current horns/"advantage" sets should continue, but adding in something like UCLA could pay dividends. Analytics needs to take into account predictability. I think it would be awesome to have something like this practiced all year and throw it in to throw off a team's D. Or they could run more wrinkles out of the horns like the early 4, flare backscreen, high post rub, zipper wake forest, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Short shorts night would be great but would not be original. Lakers did it in 2007, it was hilarious to see Fisher and Bynum in them...
78679248.jpg

Today, yesterday, tomorrow....there's still only one way to stop the Stockton to Malone pick and roll! Bring a baseball bat and kill one of them!

Today, yesterday, tomorrow....there's still only one way to stop the Stockton to Malone pick and roll! Bring a baseball bat and kill one of them!

I dont think hitting Karl Malone with a baseball bat would be a particularly good idea. You know for your own health...

Lol. I can still picture the look on Giricek's face after nailing 2 threes in a row and getting benched for it.

At the time, my dad and I had a running joke about a Jerry Sloan 3 pointer: As long as your foot is on the line and it only counts for 2, then you get to stay in the game. Foot behind the line and your *** goes to the bench.