What's new

Jose Calderon

yzbat

Why hasn't anybody been talking about making an offer to Jose Calderon he is a much better option than Mo that we could probably do a two year contract at 11-13 mil compared to us resigning Mo at probably the same rate. I wouldn't even mind a three year at 15-17 mil. That way we could draft a PG that could play off the bench and learn from a great veteran. Detroit wants to keep him but they say that they don't want to break the bank. Which to them looks to be around 5 mil a year and I would have no problem making him a little bit more of an offer to have him come over.
Here is the link saying that Detroit doesnt want to break the bank for him. https://fansided.com/2013/06/16/detroit-pistons-want-to-keep-jose-calderon-but-dont-want-to-overpay/

While I don't hate the idea of bringing in Calderon. He is not a long term solution to the PG position. So we still need another option going forward. I don't mind a limited time (2 year) contract at around MLE for him though.

I like Calderon, always have. I'd be fine with him here, but it also depends on what else we can work out in the draft over the next year or two.

We could do worse for a stop-gap PG-- before we address our PG woes (presumably via the draft)

I 'd rather have Calderon than Mo for a two year gap filler. It would have to be at or around the mid-level exception.

Calderon is not good fit for Tyron Corbin's Alfense. Plus he plays no defense.

I like him if we can't get Bledsoe or Mcollum. I can't really see Larkin or Schroeder starting next year so he would be a great mentor.

2yrs 13M would be a very good deal for the Jazz. I would imagine Calderon will command more than that. I think you will have to pay him closer to 8-9 per to get him and it may take a 3 year deal or 2 years with a player option.

It'd be pointless to sign him of we're tanking.

This.
Draft a rookie and play him. And tank this year, folks. Add top 2014 pick and our rookie PG gets better in second year.

I like this idea in theory, but who would be a better mentor for the rook...Mo or Calderon? Mo is a good guy and a good player, but Calderon is more of a true PG, IMO. Neither one is a really GREAT PG, but I can see Calderon being a pretty good mentor on the fundamentals...at least better than Mo.

It'd be pointless to sign him of we're tanking.

Not exactly. You need a good a PG just so your bigs can develop. If we resign Mo and it takes him 10 seconds to throw an entry pass. Kanter just goes to waste. If Favors tries to run a pick and roll with Mo, but Mo turns it over every time, same effect.

I like this idea in theory, but who would be a better mentor for the rook...Mo or Calderon? Mo is a good guy and a good player, but Calderon is more of a true PG, IMO. Neither one is a really GREAT PG, but I can see Calderon being a pretty good mentor on the fundamentals...at least better than Mo.

Tinsley. I'd take Tinsley as a mentor over Calderon or Mo.

Wolters is the new Calderon. Let's draft him in the 2nd round so we can complain about how overpaid he is one year after inking him to a deal like Calderon is on right now.

Not exactly. You need a good a PG just so your bigs can develop. If we resign Mo and it takes him 10 seconds to throw an entry pass. Kanter just goes to waste. If Favors tries to run a pick and roll with Mo, but Mo turns it over every time, same effect.

Great post.