What's new

Game Thread Jul 09, 2024 07:00pm: Thunder Vs Jazz (Summer League)

Added to Calendar: 07-09-24

Jazz fans is hilarious. Goes from the rookies/sophomores might be so good they hurt the tank to they are awful over the course of two SL games
I mean the vets are the ones that hurt the tank. The rookies and sophomores playing is the goal.

Brice - Got buckets, gave buckets.

Williams - Doesn’t do much bad, but the problem is he does nothing. Clutch 3 at the end of the game to avoid the second half Snell stat line.

Collier - Had some moments, he plays with some intensity at least. Not a great decision maker.

Flip - AWFUL defense.

Lofton - Tough shooting night, but still demonstrated some offensive skill + looked ok on defense which is saying something.

Bazley - Great hustle again

Preston - The best of the others for sure

DJones - Absolutely cooked tonight. Can he actually shoot or just a hot shooting night?

Dieng - Has improved his skill level a ton, looks good when the shot goes in. Still think he might be a year away. Will Cody Williams mimick his development?

A Mitchell - Ty Jerome reincarnate
Dillon Jones would be streaky like that in college as well. He was a really good college player, he'll have to be a role player in the NBA, but great body type. He's also a fair bit older than a lot of rookies, with a lot more experience playing, so that helps too. There's a lot of benefit to going to a smaller school where you can play right away, and star right away.

I don't get how people are watching the **** show of these summer league games and the main takeaway I've seen is Flip sucks.

I mean he has, but he's flashed things as well. He's a 7' er who can pass, handle, move, and theoretically shoot (rough two games but he's shown enough that you can buy into a ~35-37% shooter to draw out defenses). Yeah he's positionally ambiguous right now, but this is the modern NBA and he has fluidity that most 7'ers will never have

He got put on skates on the perimeter in that clip, but the jazz have had like 10 backcourt and inbounds turnovers, how is this the main ugly clip that's shared.

Just a friendly reminder that Summer League performance is not predictive of even a player's rookie season. It's good for rookies to get a taste of the speed, length, and physicality of the NBA, but for fans it should just be for fun. The highest leading scorer for last year's summer league was Orlando Robinson, who coincidentally was just cut by Miami. Brandon Miller shot 35% from the field and 26% from 3. I remember one of the guys who struggled the most was Lively. I was really high on him pre-draft, but he looked awful in summer league. Cason Wallace, GG Jackson, and Podz all averaged less than 10pts/game on horrible shooting splits.

In General the Rookies:
- Have not played competitive basketball in months
- Are practicing AND playing on same days AND on back to back days
- Are playing with players and in systems they are unfamiliar with
- Are playing against players who are fighting for their NBA careers and that have 10 fouls to give.

The Summer League is good to see how a rookie moves, what skills look like they will translate in the NBA, and what general weaknesses they need to work on. In particular, if a rookie doesn't shoot well, I don't think it means much.

1) Overreacting to SL is fun, we’re all going to do it. Most people who dismiss it (not you btw) are happy to overreact when it fits their narrative. I think we all know it’s not super meaningful.

2) There are some things to look for beyond make/miss, statistical production. You can look at how a guy stacks up physically and deals with bigger/better athletes, for example. And you can check in on certain things that you had your eye on in the draft process. We’re not going to be able to determine if Cody is a good shooter or not, but his low motor is something I was keeping an eye on and it was disappointing to see him ghost away in all aspects of the game.

I don't get how people are watching the **** show of these summer league games and the main takeaway I've seen is Flip sucks.

I mean he has, but he's flashed things as well. He's a 7' er who can pass, handle, move, and theoretically shoot (rough two games but he's shown enough that you can buy into a ~35-37% shooter to draw out defenses). Yeah he's positionally ambiguous right now, but this is the modern NBA and he has fluidity that most 7'ers will never have

He got put on skates on the perimeter in that clip, but the jazz have had like 10 backcourt and inbounds turnovers, how is this the main ugly clip that's shared.
Because most people aren't smart

The Gohkle shot wasn't even bad D. He closed out on an elite shooter recovered well enough after the pump fake to give a decent contrast.

I can’t believe you are overreacting!

Flip going 0-7 has clearly demonstrated he will be a good shooter.

BTW, if you think we’re saying Flip was bad based on the Gholke clip….you must not have watched the game. He had a first half stretch of 3-4 plays in a row where it looked like he didn’t know how to play basketball.

BTW, if you think we’re saying Flip was bad based on the Gholke clip….you must not have watched the game. He had a first half stretch of 3-4 plays in a row where it looked like he didn’t know how to play basketball.
Going 0/7 in SL must mean you can't shoot

I think he displayed bad enough defense to get pulled from a summer league game. If you actually watched the game and came away with "wow look at Flip's passing" I am not sure what you were watching. He missed everything, he was horrific on defense, and he tried to do stuff with the ball a couple times and traveled. Its okay... it doesn't mean he's hopeless or a bad player but he was absolutely bad last night... its okay to say it.

I think he displayed bad enough defense to get pulled from a summer league game. If you actually watched the game and came away with "wow look at Flip's passing" I am not sure what you were watching. He missed everything, he was horrific on defense, and he tried to do stuff with the ball a couple times and traveled. Its okay... it doesn't mean he's hopeless or a bad player but he was absolutely bad last night... its okay to say it.
Some people just can't see the game. It's why you had some people saying Edey wasn't a first round pick two months out. Then it became he wasn't a top 20 pick. Then not a lottery pic. Then not a top 10 pick. People come around eventually when it's slapping them in the face, but not everyone can see the details.

Back