What's new

July 11th, Summer League Game 4: Jazz vs. Pacers 11 A.M. ET

Gobert should have gone in the 12-16 range. Great pickup. He still is getting rebounds ripped out of his hands and comes way to far out on defending the pick and roll which causes him to be out of position. NBA point guards will take advantage of that. But in 3-4 years he's going to be a great great player.

There is a reason the odds arent changing...namely that bookmakers are not a bunch of overreacting PMSing pre-teens

i really question the formulas they use to calculate those RoY odds, obviously they are tied to potential playingtime/role, and are affected by the bets made

but

i suspect the #'s are more about daring hometown fans into sucker bets, based on the consensus of what the average nba fan thinks about these players (from the draft process and what theyve seen in college)... maybe

if lillard didnt win RoY last year would the odds for trey burke be the same? if trey burke didnt win national player of the year would the odds be the same?

who knows

effort on pnr

... comes way to far out on defending the pick and roll which causes him to be out of position. NBA point guards will take advantage of that.

Agreed, but it looks like he likes defense, takes pride in his PNR defense, and has passion to improve further. Unlike a certain Bobcat who had a look like "I'm already thinking about the move I'm going to make on the next offensive possession and I pray they wont make me look terrible on this PNR possession (fingers crossed, deer in headlight).....

Im pumped, gonna be a good year...Oh wait, Im supposed to over react and stress on a couple games, my bad..

so if trey burke was on another team and neto was causing him issues yall wouldent be bragging about it? in this very thread?

what if buford went 10/10 from 3 and 10/10 from the line in the same game, that would be just a summer league game?

what about when jeremy lin outplayed john wall in summer league, or when marco belinelli destroyed it in his first game, were those just one useless game

or were they a prelude of things to come?

the blueprint is out on trey burke already, Jam him at all costs, get in his face, make him drive. ATTACK HIS DRIBBLE, cause him to panic, and at all costs dont let him get a good look from 3... ALSO do not bail him out and let him shoot freethrows

if you do this and he doesnt shoot well, trey burke led teams will be very beatable

if he shoots well they have a good chance, but still are very beatable

his saving grace will be throwing it into the bigs, or letting hayward facilitate

pressing him all game long will cause major issues if hes to be the volume shooter

Last edited:
so if trey burke was on another team and neto was causing him issues yall wouldent be bragging about it? in this very thread?

what if buford went 10/10 from 3 and 10/10 from the line in the same game, that would be just a summer league game?

what about when jeremy lin outplayed john wall in summer league, or when marco belinelli destroyed it in his first game, were those just one useless game

or were they a prelude of things to come?

Very good point imo. I don't look at the overall picture in summer league. But at the little things. What does which player right, where do the players have to improve. And the new things they try out there I'm just putting into the back of my mind and don't dig them up unless it becomes a habit in regular season.
And then comes regular season I compare my thought I had back then with what turned into reality and how did it happen. Right now I'd for example say that Burks can't play pointguard ever, because his court vision and anticipation is so poor. Let him c&s and drive to the basket occasionally. MCW will lead the league in turnover unless he adresses his handle in a major way and both Burke and MCW will get scored on tons by PGs with a solid 3 pointer - I'd go as far to say that opposing PGs will avg 7-10% more on both on 3pt shots off the screen than on other players. But maybe they address their problems on defensive stance and angles they give. But if they both rather try to expand their strengths and not address their weaknesses properly I'll remember and use my summer league knowledge and hint them for poor work ethic. If they don't get that under control long term, I'll judge them as inefficient worker.

Conclusion: Don't panic, just observe. Nothing else makes sense, because looking at summerleague statsheets is no indication for NBA performance.

I didn't expect burke to come onto the nba and dominate but I did expect him to come into summer league against a bunch of d league scrubs and play decent.

I guess you expected burke to suck on summer league..... I certainly didn't

I thought he would shoot better but I am not surprised he has struggle. He is playing with guys he just met a few days ago. He is trying to adjust to the pressure of being in the NBA, learning a new system and moving to a new city. Besides not playing organized game action since March. Why is it so surprising? Many guys are sucking in the summer league.. Olapido has sucked, MCW has sucked.. guys who are playing PG which is the hardest position to play. Again the coaches aren't disappointed then why are you?

Gobert has been the biggest surprise. He still seems to lose the ball despite getting the rebound. That can be fixed. Moves well for his size. Great length. Looks like he could add an other 20 lbs. Has the body type for it. Good defender but not a leaper (in fact, doesn't need to jump). Understands the game. Sets good screens. Average rebounder but will be a good one once he gains more weight. Shows decent touch with potential on his shot. Should become a 70 percent free throw shooter. His combination of length, quickness, defensive impact and the ability to make free throws already allow him to play 10-15 minutes per game as a backup. Still very raw. Not much of an offensive game. Good shot blocker. Needs to add a move or two in the post. Good motor and work ethic.

Best case: Tyson Chandler / Omer Asik

Gobert has been the biggest surprise. He still seems to lose the ball despite getting the rebound. That can be fixed. Moves well for his size. Great length. Looks like he could add an other 20 lbs. Has the body type for it. Good defender but not a leaper (in fact, doesn't need to jump). Understands the game. Sets good screens. Average rebounder but will be a good one once he gains more weight. Shows decent touch with potential on his shot. Should become a 70 percent free throw shooter. His combination of length, quickness, defensive impact and the ability to make free throws already allow him to play 10-15 minutes per game as a backup. Still very raw. Not much of an offensive game. Good shot blocker. Needs to add a move or two in the post. Good motor and work ethic.

Best case: Tyson Chandler / Omer Asik

He can jump, at least average for a big man. Watch some highlights of his Cholet team. Probably difficult to jump with that hideous malformed ingrown toenail.

Jeremy Evans in summer league reminds me of watching David Benoit in summer league--a guy who would just out-jump other guys in a pack going for rebounds and be a half step quicker. Hopefully he can get his weight up to 215 or 220 lbs. He looks like he'll get rotation minutes this year.

the blueprint is out on trey burke already, Jam him at all costs, get in his face, make him drive. ATTACK HIS DRIBBLE, cause him to panic, and at all costs dont let him get a good look from 3... ALSO do not bail him out and let him shoot freethrows

if you do this and he doesnt shoot well, trey burke led teams will be very beatable

if he shoots well they have a good chance, but still are very beatable

his saving grace will be throwing it into the bigs, or letting hayward facilitate

pressing him all game long will cause major issues if hes to be the volume shooter

At least he'll attract that much attention. The last few years, we've had PGs who don't need to be guarded. I still think he'll be okay, but he's going to need a pick to get space.

I thought he would shoot better but I am not surprised he has struggle. He is playing with guys he just met a few days ago. He is trying to adjust to the pressure of being in the NBA, learning a new system and moving to a new city. Besides not playing organized game action since March. Why is it so surprising? Many guys are sucking in the summer league.. Olapido has sucked, MCW has sucked.. guys who are playing PG which is the hardest position to play. Again the coaches aren't disappointed then why are you?

Burke being held out of a game is a sign that the coaches were dissappointed/unhappy with the way he played.

At least he'll attract that much attention. The last few years, we've had PGs who don't need to be guarded. I still think he'll be okay, but he's going to need a pick to get space.

Exactly. It's a rather one dimensional view. It's akin to having a guy on the floor who shoots threes but isn't successfully because the defense plays him tight, but then gives up lanes to cutters and space to guys in the post. Or boastfully proclaiming you can shut down a power hitter by walking him.

Burke being held out of a game is a sign that the coaches were dissappointed/unhappy with the way he played.
Not at all. How many times has Burke played 5 straight days in his career. How many times do pros do that? Sure he's struggling, but it was a good chance to give him rest, try to give him "fresher" legs the next game and see how he'd perform. Other top picks have sat out or played light minutes at times.

Not at all. How many times has Burke played 5 straight days in his career. How many times do pros do that? Sure he's struggling, but it was a good chance to give him rest, try to give him "fresher" legs the next game and see how he'd perform. Other top picks have sat out or played light minutes at times.

I would bet that if he was playing great, he would not have missed that game.
But we will never know

I bet he has played five straight days like a thousand times.
I know I played 5 straight days constantly during high school.
I bet he practiced and played pick up games nearly every day in college too.

Summer league games are short and he wasn't even playing a lot of minutes anyway.
I don't think he needed the rest..... it certainly didn't help him play better today lol.

Jeremy Evans in summer league reminds me of watching David Benoit in summer league--a guy who would just out-jump other guys in a pack going for rebounds and be a half step quicker. Hopefully he can get his weight up to 215 or 220 lbs. He looks like he'll get rotation minutes this year.
Except Benoit actually had an nice post up game and range out to the 3 point line. Evans is very limited when it comes to anything that doesn't involve dunking.

I bet he has played five straight days like a thousand times.
I know I played 5 straight days constantly during high school.
I bet he practiced and played pick up games nearly every day in college too.

Summer league games are short and he wasn't even playing a lot of minutes anyway.
I don't think he needed the rest..... it certainly didn't help him play better today lol.

The five games in five days definitely isn't a problem. I have played 3 games in a day and did fine.

The good thing about Burke is the only thing he is doing wrong is missing shots. At least he isn't turning the ball over like MCW.