What's new

Just in from CNN

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
I'm going to start posting stuff that is on the front page of CNN

This story is on the top of their web page currently. I'd call it a pro-gun story.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/15/us/escaped-georgia-inmates-captured/index.html

Escaped Georgia inmates captured in Tennessee after chase

(CNN)A pair of inmates from Georgia suspected of killing two corrections officers during their escape from a prisoner bus this week have been captured in Tennessee after a chase that involved gunfire, authorities said.

Donnie Russell Rowe, 43, and Ricky Dubose, 24, were taken into custody Thursday after two residents held them at gunpoint whey they discovered the men were trying to steal a car from a central Tennessee home, Lt. Bill Miller from the Tennessee Highway Patrol said late Friday.
The capture put an end to a multistate manhunt that lasted nearly 60 hours after the inmates escaped Tuesday morning in central Georgia.
While they were on the run, the pair allegedly stole five vehicles, robbed two homes, tied up and terrorized an elderly couple; and led police on a chase where speeds reached 100 mph, officials said.
Dubose and Rowe stole a truck in Madison, Georgia, and ditched it about 260 miles away in Moore County, Tennessee, on Thursday, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said.
There the two apparently stole a car, which they drove to a house in Bedford County. They then robbed an elderly couple and stole another vehicle.
When law enforcement officers saw that stolen vehicle, a 10-mile chase ensued on Interstate 24 south of Nashville until the escapees crashed and ran from the wreck.
Several SUVs were hit and the escapees opened fire on deputies, but no one was injured, officials said.
Dubose and Rowe ran from the vehicle into some woods but they were discovered by a homeowner who called his neighbor and they each grabbed a gun. The fugitives lost their weapons in the crash and surrendered, authorities said.
In Georgia, Sills told reporters no one was wounded and the inmates gave up after about 15 minutes in the trees beside Interstate 24.
"I'm happy. I'm elated, but I'm still tremendously sad about these (deceased) officers," Sills said about the capture.

Is this for dutch?

Why?

Dutch, sure. But many people on the right talk about "what they won't tell you on CNN"

This is to show them that CNN isn't trying to squash reality in favor of their own politically driven narrative.

Dutch, sure. But many people on the right talk about "what they won't tell you on CNN"

This is to show them that CNN isn't trying to squash reality in favor of their own politically driven narrative.

Do you honestly think that will work?

CNN isn't bad but IMO they definitely drive a leftist agenda. I think NPR, The Economist (magazine), and CNBC are the best we have when it comes to true journalism. Our local media is beyond trash and lazy aside from, maybe, The Daily Herald which obviously is going to be slanted but still seems to try to collect facts.

But, I've hated the news and media since a young child and saw how dishonest it all was.

CNN isn't bad but IMO they definitely drive a leftist agenda. I think NPR, The Economist (magazine), and CNBC are the best we have when it comes to true journalism. Our local media is beyond trash and lazy aside from, maybe, The Daily Herald which obviously is going to be slanted but still seems to try to collect facts.

But, I've hated the news and media since a young child and saw how dishonest it all was.

I agree. CNN isn't bad. Not a shining example of true journalism and neutrality (journalism has seldom ever been neutral anyway) but not this leftist version of FOX News. It has been unfairly condemned by many on the far right.

It's annoying to me to read stories on CNN that bring up issues that many on the far right say "CNN doesn't report on X because it doesn't fit their narrative" and I see stories on that subject on CNN. And they aren't there just saying how false that position is, they talk about what the people who hold that view see that leads them to their conclusions.

Much of the far-right echo chamber tells their bubble-mates what CNN says and doesn't say and very few venture out of the bubble to see what CNN actually says. This thread is just meant to be a bubble popper as much as anything can be.

NPR is good. They occasionally participate in the political circus, but they are generally good. It depresses me having to listen to the BBC on my way back from work. They're bad.

I also read The Unz Review. And a couple of other publications that don't try to hide their ideological perspective.

NPR is good. They occasionally participate in the political circus, but they are generally good. It depresses me having to listen to the BBC on my way back from work. They're bad.

I also read The Unz Review. And a couple of other publications that don't try to hide their ideological perspective.

And for me NPR is hardly politics and news at all. I listen to about 15min of "Fresh Air" on my way to work. Usually it's Terry Gross interviewing a celebrity or public figure. She's probably one of the best (top 5) interviewers in the U.S.. Then I often catch a few minutes of her TV critic, sometimes a book review. I have been turned on to some really awesome TV shows because of the excellent reviews on her show.

I usually listen to "This American Life" on podcast these days, but it's an NPR show. And don't forget that "SERIAL" and "S-Town" are spin-offs from that show.

Then there's "the Moth" which is not about politics. "Splendid Table." "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me." "Snap Judgement."

Even the shows that might sometimes cover politics don't usually focus on politics. "Radio West." "The Takeaway." "All Things Considered." "On the Media." "PRI's The World."

None of that is there for the sole purpose of discussing politics. And when they do they are as even-handed as it gets.

Yeah, CNN is not on that level. Nothing is.

The PBS Newshour is tops for nightly television news. NPR on the radio doesn't cover the news that well but they have a good mobile app for that. Headlines and short articles. Nothing too in depth but enough to keep you informed with the basics.

And for me NPR is hardly politics and news at all. I listen to about 15min of "Fresh Air" on my way to work. Usually it's Terry Gross interviewing a celebrity or public figure. She's probably one of the best (top 5) interviewers in the U.S.. Then I often catch a few minutes of her TV critic, sometimes a book review. I have been turned on to some really awesome TV shows because of the excellent reviews on her show.

I usually listen to "This American Life" on podcast these days, but it's an NPR show. And don't forget that "SERIAL" and "S-Town" are spin-offs from that show.

Then there's "the Moth" which is not about politics. "Splendid Table." "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me." "Snap Judgement."

Even the shows that might sometimes cover politics don't usually focus on politics. "Radio West." "The Takeaway." "All Things Considered." "On the Media." "PRI's The World."

None of that is there for the sole purpose of discussing politics. And when they do they are as even-handed as it gets.

Yeah, CNN is not on that level. Nothing is.

I like CNN and FoxNews as their mention by someone as torch bearers for left vs right is a good indication that I should probably ignore that person. They're entertainment channels targeting the small segment of people that still get their news from TV (70 year old conservatives for FN, and um, people at the airport and the gym for CNN).

I think the only reason FoxNews is as well known as they are is due to exposure by The Daily Show and other liberal-leaning shows. Otherwise, they'd be utterly irrelevant.

I like CNN and FoxNews as their mention by someone as torch bearers for left vs right is a good indication that I should probably ignore that person. They're entertainment channels targeting the small segment of people that still get their news from TV (70 year old conservatives for FN, and um, people at the airport and the gym for CNN).

I think the only reason FoxNews is as well known as they are is due to exposure by The Daily Show and other liberal-leaning shows. Otherwise, they'd be utterly irrelevant.

Neither is half as bad as the younger online conservative/liberal news outlets. The online echo chambers make cable news seem tame.

I hardly watch CNN at all. Their website is one of my sources of news, mostly because I like the layout they use better than most the other sites and they have about 1/10 the amount of pictures of scantily clad women than the Fox News website has.

It was funny when I worked at IM Flash they had a very large break room. There were 2 TVs, one on each side. On the right side it played Fox News, on the left side it was CNN. While I worked there I saw a considerable amount of what each network was and was not covering. Some days there would be a story dominating Fox and getting no mention on CNN at all. Other days it was the opposite. I think Fox's news coverage was perfectly adequate. I'm talking about their news programming where they had an anchor and they covered news. But they had far less news coverage and far more opinion and political pundit programming than CNN had.

They may not politicize discussions but they certainly touch on political pressure points.

I can't stand listening to NPR for long but when I have I've heard plenty programming that far-right types would applaud. They had a pretty cool discussion a few months back about how we are sheltering our children way too much because of perceived fear of increasing violence that isn't reality. Nothing politicizing was said but there were undertones suggesting possible effects of this environment on the future. That's also something people on the right tend to push. I've also heard discussions with economists who gave off a rightist perception.

So yeah, it's annoying hearing them called liberal like CNN is.

I love listening to the BBC, got the ABC's 24 hour news channel on in the background now while I consider breakfast. Waiting for them to put together a decent tribute to Helmut Kohl.

I listen to a bit of BBC on the ABC newsradio, love the science hour and their weekly programme on Africa. NPR are good too, I really like their tiny desk gigs they put on youtube.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/04/news/economy/july-jobs-report/index.html

Milestone for Trump: 1 million new jobs in six months

America has added more than a million jobs since President Trump took office.
The U.S. economy added a strong 209,000 jobs in July, more than economists had expected. The unemployment rate fell to 4.3%, matching a 16-year low. Just after the Great Recession in 2009, unemployment peaked at 10%.
"The economy is looking pretty good," said Cathy Barrera, chief economic adviser at ZipRecruiter, the job posting site.
Many economists say the United States is at or near "full employment," meaning the unemployment rate won't go down significantly more.