What's new

kanter is boxing out

oldtimer

It seems to me that no matter what kanter does or how he performs some people always find fault with his game. It bothers me and I feel the need to defend.

Kanter's rebound numbers are lower because he is trying very hard to box out. On virtually every shot kanter boxes out. His rebounding numbers are lower because while he is boxing out other players get a rebound. I would argue that Burke rebounds so well at least in part because kanter is boxing out.

Last year kanter just went and got the ball and he hardly ever boxed out and that is why, at least in part he grabbed more rebounds
last year.

GVS makea a great point saying that kanter's form of boxing out is bizarre. He doeant always turn around and put a butt into someone. He often faces the player. I have noticed this more and more throughout the NBA. Its not just kanter who boxes out like this. I wonder if kanter is being told to box out this way (ie just get a body on someone anyway you can)

One thing that amazes me is the high percentage of NBA players who don't box out. When I played high school basketball, boxing out was something even the dumbest kid did.

I don't think Kanter has been THAT BAD this year. His rebounding and scoring numbers should be better, but he hasn't been Hayward-bad.

One thing that amazes me is the high percentage of NBA players who don't box out. When I played high school basketball, boxing out was something even the dumbest kid did.

I don't think Kanter has been THAT BAD this year. His rebounding and scoring numbers should be better, but he hasn't been Hayward-bad.

Since Hayward scores more than him per game and per 36? And rebounds almost as much? Haywards numbers, other than shooting percentage and turnovers are very good. And the turnovers and shooting percentage will get somewhat closer to what he has averaged for his career by the end of the season.

So what is Hayward bad? If Kanter is better than Hayward, then what area is he better in?

Kanter's rebound numbers are lower because he is trying very hard to box out.

....will, if that were true, his rebound numbers (defensive rebounds) should be WAY UP or at least above average! Generally speaking, you only box out your man when you are playing defense! It's a loss art in today's NBA, as only a very few do it on a regular basis. Most trust in there jumping and "athletic ability" and the teams that do that usually get killed on the offensive boards!

On virtually every shot kanter boxes out. His rebounding numbers are lower because while he is boxing out other players get a rebound. I would argue that Burke rebounds so well at least in part because kanter is boxing out.

.....this seems very unlikely, unless the Jazz are regularly playing a "zone" defense, where you block out a spot and not a particular man...another reason why teams that do play a lot of zone defense generally get "killed" on the offensive boards!

Last year kanter just went and got the ball and he hardly ever boxed out and that is why, at least in part he grabbed more rebounds last year.

...hard to fathom that a player who "hardly ever boxed out" would grab more rebounds than a player who works hard at doing it!

GVS makea a great point saying that kanter's form of boxing out is bizarre. He doesn't always turn around and put a butt into someone. He often faces the player.

....here again, generally speaking (as illustrated in my avatar!) putting a butt into someone is best way to keep him away from the offensive boards and the best way to grab defensive rebounds. Occasionally, if your man is playing quite a ways from the basket and he's known as an "athletic board crasher" then you might want to face him when the shot goes up to make sure you keep him from flying in there and grabbing the offensive rebound!

I hope this proves somewhat helpful in your figuring out how to rebound and perhaps what may be the problem with Kanter. One things for sure: you simply CANNOT grab more defensive rebounds by NOT boxing your man out! "Defensive rebounding" just doesn't work that way! I remember some NBA coach (might have been Hubie Brown or Larry Brown) who once said, "there's no reason in the world why a 6 ft 4 guy can't keep a 6 ft 7 guy off the boards....if he knows how to box out!"

....are you calling NBA players "dumb?" I may have to report this post as "racist" which will give you a warning "violation!" (Just kidding, of course!)

Since Hayward scores more than him per game and per 36? And rebounds almost as much? Haywards numbers, other than shooting percentage and turnovers are very good. And the turnovers and shooting percentage will get somewhat closer to what he has averaged for his career by the end of the season.

So what is Hayward bad? If Kanter is better than Hayward, then what area is he better in?

Have you watched the games? Hayward isn't at all clutch this year when he needs to be. Also, Hayward is shooting 28% from 3 and 39% from the field. He also has over 3 TO per game.

Kanter's rebound numbers are lower because he is trying very hard to box out...GVS makea a great point saying that kanter's form of boxing out is bizarre.
That's because it's not boxing out. He's putting himself out of position to grab rebounds if they bounce his way, while also getting less leverage to keep opposing players from getting into rebounding position. Dude's not boxing out.

He's not as strong as old times after losing pounds and the injury so pushed easily under the rim even though he's been in good possession. He was Pekovic like a wall but now a stretch PF. He was guarding heavy pounded C's in his rookie year and his defensive rebounding numbers are cool and noone was mentioning about boxing out. Try to think him boxing out Asik, Marc Gasol, Howard, Pekovic, Adams, Cousins etc

Enes Kanter Rebounding Stats among all Centers and Forwards in the NBA

DefReb% (15.4%) - Ranks 150th out of 237
OffReb% (9.4%) - 81st out of 237
TotalReb% (12.2%) - 122nd
%Rebs per Avail Chance (within 3.5 feet of player) (51.9%) - 332nd out of 427 qualifying players

Safe to say that these stats along with the career low numbers in reb% across the board are alarming. His one 'elite' skill coming into the league was rebounding. You always hear that a player needs at least one elite skill to thrive in the league. I was sure that rebounding would be his. Now, i don't know what to think. Hell, most advanced rebounding metrics indicate he's not even a top-third rebounder... scary if it ends up staying this way all season.

Safe to say that these stats along with the career low numbers in reb% across the board are alarming. His one 'elite' skill coming into the league was rebounding. You always hear that a player needs at least one elite skill to thrive in the league. Hell, most advanced rebounding metrics indicate he's not even a top-third rebounder... scary if it ends up staying this way all season.

....heck, the Jazz will probably give him a "max" contract!....like they did with Klinko. Certainly they will overpay him, like they did with Ostertag! At least Ostertag knew how to box out on the defensive boards!