Kanter or Vonleh

Kanter or Vonleh?

• Kanter

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • Vonleh

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters

Twin Towers

I keep hearing half the group say Kanter and Favors will work. And half saying it will not and we need to trade Kanter.

Randle is overrated and not worth the pick. Aaron Gordon is more of a 3. Would get abused as a 4. I still like Aaron Gordon though.

BUT this is more to figure out where everyone stands on the Kanter, Favors Combo vs going after Vonleh or someone similar.

Kanter is only 22 and was coming off a shoulder injury. Not in the same shape as he was 2 years ago. To me personally if he comes into shape again weighing in at 240 and quick he can handle the 4 position in the same way David West and Zach Randolph do. His outside shot is coming along and I think he has improved every year.
He would of averaged 16 and 10 with per 36.

Vonleh looks above average with athleticism and a decent shot. Decent footwork for someone at his age.
But a lot of question marks as always with really young players.

RT@ryenarussillo: Talked to two GM's today that couldn't believe how out of shape Vonleh was at workouts. They were really annoyed.

I am all about having 2 bigs so Vonleh is not bad. But I personally would rather have Kanter at the 4 if he can keep his weight down and stay trim like 2 years ago.

What is your take? Vonleh or Kanter?
Again not a discussion about other players. More about Kanter's ability to play with Favors. Do you believe they can make it work like DL said in the exit interviews? Or do you believe the Corbin propaganda?

I hope we roll with kanter and favors as our starting bigs next year..... unless we can get embiid

Kanter.

Kanter & Favors started to work in end of season, which is the most recent history.

Kanter & Favors hasn't worked because:

A. Ty never made it a priority.
B. Kanter had never really been coached, so concluding it would/ will never is premature.
C. Kanter wasn't allowed to play "his game" under Corbin. No 3's from Kanter, meant no spacing.
C. Neither were passing big-men. Now? Both are trending upward.

A pairing of Vonleh and Favors would have similar problems, because:

A. Vonleh does not pass. Is another blackhole.
B. is smaller than Kanter.
C. His 3 pt shooting is something Kanter can do.
D. Favors will still be undersized to play the 5, and Vonleh's size necessitates Favors there. Marvin & Favors duo all over again, but w/ less passing and (if it translates) more rebounding (but you get the rebounding w/ Enes also).
E. Vonleh's D is overrated, and was out of place just like Kanter many times last year. He has potential w/ his wingspan, but so does Kanter. Saying Kanter can never defend after one season on a bad defensive team w/ bad defensive schemes is premature.

Enes has a great post game, Vonleh is very raw there.

Kanter is still young and raw, but he is farther along than Vonleh. Enes has the hands that everyone is raving about w/ Vonleh, yet he is taller, and has more muscle mass.

Last edited:
Kanter really started looking better near the end of the season, plus at the end starting with Favors. All of our young guys were averaging over 15 pts those last 5ish games starting together.

Next year, Kanter; however, Vonleh will help you win more in the future. Kanter's defense last year was atrocious. The Jazz will never win with Kanter playing heavy minutes unless he improves his defense dramatically. Having Favors and Vonleh on the floor with both of them having a 7'4" wingspan would anchor our defense and Vonleh would be able to spread the floor. We're not going to win anything next year any ways, I'd have go to with Vonleh.

2 years ago when Kanter and Favors were coming off the bench together and Kanter looked great on D. He was in much better shape and he was playing next to Favors though. 2 years ago the bigs came out hard on the pick and roll. That is the defense where we were ranked 3rd in the league with those 2 on the floor.
When Corbin split them and we sagged back on the pick and roll in no mans land like Boozer played D....... we dropped to one of the worst. Kanter is not a rim protector. In the same way that Karl Malone, David West or Zach Randolph were never rim protectors. They were players that played below the rim and were more about strength and positioning. Kanter is no different. I think he can be a GREAT PF next to Favors, but don't leave him alone to guard the paint.
As David West or Zach Randolph would look just as bad if not worse by themselves out there.
Favors should be bulking up in terms of lower and upper body strength to play C. Kanter should be slimming down as he could dominate opposing PF's.
I am excited to see what Snyder can do with these 2 with the Spurs offense.

2 years ago when Kanter and Favors were coming off the bench together and Kanter looked great on D. He was in much better shape and he was playing next to Favors though. 2 years ago the bigs came out hard on the pick and roll. That is the defense where we were ranked 3rd in the league with those 2 on the floor.
When Corbin split them and we sagged back on the pick and roll in no mans land like Boozer played D....... we dropped to one of the worst. Kanter is not a rim protector. In the same way that Karl Malone, David West or Zach Randolph were never rim protectors. They were players that played below the rim and were more about strength and positioning. Kanter is no different. I think he can be a GREAT PF next to Favors, but don't leave him alone to guard the paint.
As David West or Zach Randolph would look just as bad if not worse by themselves out there.
Favors should be bulking up in terms of lower and upper body strength to play C. Kanter should be slimming down as he could dominate opposing PF's.
I am excited to see what Snyder can do with these 2 with the Spurs offense.

Also, sprinkling a little Gobert "oh ****!" Magic in there, and I think our front court has really good defensive potential. Let's develop these amazing prospects we already have, and go after SF's like there is no tomorrow, since SF's are most often the X factors in contenders, and the only position we don't have a good prospect at (Hayward is a 2).

Also, sprinkling a little Gobert "oh ****!" Magic in there, and I think our front court has really good defensive potential. Let's develop these amazing prospects we already have, and go after SF's like there is no tomorrow, since SF's are most often the X factors in contenders, and the only position we don't have a good prospect at (Hayward is a 2).

Ya Gobert will be great for 15 minutes a game. Once he is able to not turnover the ball and have more lower body strength he will be a dominate force.

I agree. SF's are the key. I have a feeling if we keep Hayward then he will probably be playing the 3 position and Burks will play the 2 since they have the most experience on the team. And the SF that we find will most likely be a rookie and will have to earn his time.

Kanter. I believe in the potential of the 6 key players already on the roster and am ecstatic to add another top prospect to that group. I like the three bigs they have now and would rafter have them focus on getting a star wing in the draft. If they want to add another big guy to the mix, buy out Tomic and go 4 big up front with Williams back as a stretch 4/backup 3.

You mean when the team went 4-24 from March to the end of season?

Yes, cause that was their fault. Never mind the fact that Marvin and RJ fell the **** off. RJ shot 20% from 3 in April, and that was the only reason he was on the floor. Marvin shot 40% fg and 26% from 3 post all star. Neither of them could defend their positions, etc.

Definitely Kanter and Favors fault, though, eh?

You mean when the team went 4-24 from March to the end of season?
yeah it's all Kanter's fault, you know.
In April, Kanter averaged 15/12.8 in 30.5 minutes, not too shabby.
That said, team chemistry is important.
Jazz are going nowhere with this team, it seems and Kanter looks like the most expendable member of the Core5 (along with Burke) to tell the truth.
I voted for Vonleh. Potential, shooting skills, athleticism and big hands!
what is there not to like?
I toleja before, Kanter is a goner.

Last edited:
Dont know much about Vonleh but almost wanna vote for him just since Kanter is so bad on defense

I wont vote though