What's new

Kanter Review in the First Preseason Game

That's OK - that's fine.

But where's the hook shot? Tim Duncan used the running hooks almost exclusively to get around Jefferson/Favors.

For crying out loud - Kevin Durant used it against LeBron in the Finals to great effect - and he's playing the SF!!

Even Shaq went on TNT saying he makes his living on 2 moves, the hook shot and the up & under inside shot. They're simply the 2 Moves that works well together.

If you can't sink that hook shot - players are not going to be fooled by the up & under!!!

For the love of God I have no idea why nobody has bothered to teach or tell Kanter to use the hook shot?!?!

Which coach do you want to teach him? The pg, one of the sgs or one of the sfs?

I hate to say this, but things aren't looking good. People were saying the exact same things about Kanter last year but making the excuse that he hadn't played the year before. Well, he's had a full NBA season under his belt. Has he gotten any better? Sounds like he may be another Koufos. But I sure hope not.

Fail

Jarron Kanter needs to go back to school and learn to play smart like Jarron Collins did. If you're just a big body and not much else you have to have a high BBIQ to earn playing time.

Honestly, aside from his strength and bulk, what has Kanter really shown? All people talk about is that he's young and got lots of potential. What is discouraging to me is that in the summer league games he doesn't look like he has improved much, if at all. To me, that is very revealing indicator. I'm reserving judgment, but right now he doesn't look that promising. And anyone who becomes a role player off the bench as a third pick has got to be considered a bust.

Honestly, aside from his strength and bulk, what has Kanter really shown? All people talk about is that he's young and got lots of potential. What is discouraging to me is that in the summer league games he doesn't look like he has improved much, if at all. To me, that is very revealing indicator. I'm reserving judgment, but right now he doesn't look that promising. And anyone who becomes a role player off the bench as a third pick has got to be considered a bust.

It's only been a month and a half since the end of the season. How much improvement were you expecting in that short amount of time?

I still have hope for Kanter, but he is still another year off before he can be a regular contributor. He still needs to learn how to play. SL helps, but in the end it's just high level pick up basketball.

It's been a few months since he was playing in the playoffs. Did you really think in those few months he was going to go from 19 year old project kid with little basketball experience to Walt Frazier? Give me a ****ing break.

In the two games I've watched, he's relentless on the boards. Especailly the offensive ones. A lot of times he put himself ahead of the defender and in great position to rebound the ball but the ball either went in or bounced the other way. Plus, he screws up a lot of players shots by being in the right position at the right time. At the end of the game (something like 20 seconds left) he sprinted all the way down the court, got in position and cut of a Philly player who didn't know what the hell to do with the ball and just threw it out of bounds. He's got crazy potential. I'm not saying he's not a bust, but seriously, be realistic.

It's only been a month and a half since the end of the season. How much improvement were you expecting in that short amount of time?

I still have hope for Kanter, but he is still another year off before he can be a regular contributor. He still needs to learn how to play. SL helps, but in the end it's just high level pick up basketball.

Great minds think a like.

Per Brian Smith, "Kanter said he took some time off and hung out in Turkey after season ended. Still working his way back into #NBA shape."

Geez. At least there is a reason that he's rusty. If he develops a killer work-ethic he can be a very good player, if he chooses not to work he'll just get along.

I haven't seen much improvement since the beginning of last season ... so that's seven months. When you're as young as him, guys do progress quickly. He had a close to full year in the NBA, then he went for the P3 camp to improve his vertical and explosion ... but I don't see him any more explosive, any more skilled (no new moves or improvement on his outside shot), or even much better court awareness. He's still slow in his reactions. Slow is the key word. Look at some of the scrub bigs on the summer leagues team; they're all quicker. Granted, Kanter is a good rebounder but he was from day one with the Jazz.

I'm excited to see Kanter go up against Andrew Nicholson. I watched his highlights of his 1st SL game and he has the offensive game that I hope Kanter develops one day. Not an athlete at all, but does quick moves and has a strong midrange game.

Per Brian Smith, "Kanter said he took some time off and hung out in Turkey after season ended. Still working his way back into #NBA shape."

Geez. At least there is a reason that he's rusty. If he develops a killer work-ethic he can be a very good player, if he chooses not to work he'll just get along.

So part of having a work ethic for a 19 year old is to not visit his family back home?

let's remember that this is a summer league game, which is where coaches ask guys to do things outside their comfort zone to expand their skill set. so a lot of this could just be we're watching kanter learn to react to different situations he's not used to. that's a good thing, and part of the process of getting better.

overall, i don't love hearing the coaches say that he is still having to be told what to do all the time, but it doesn't surprise me. i knew all along this guy wasn't going to be a "just add water" instant starter because of one summer league. it's a long process, and the good news is there is no real deadline.

It's been a few months since he was playing in the playoffs. Did you really think in those few months he was going to go from 19 year old project kid with little basketball experience to Walt Frazier? Give me a ****ing break.

In the two games I've watched, he's relentless on the boards. Especailly the offensive ones. A lot of times he put himself ahead of the defender and in great position to rebound the ball but the ball either went in or bounced the other way. Plus, he screws up a lot of players shots by being in the right position at the right time. At the end of the game (something like 20 seconds left) he sprinted all the way down the court, got in position and cut of a Philly player who didn't know what the hell to do with the ball and just threw it out of bounds. He's got crazy potential. I'm not saying he's not a bust, but seriously, be realistic.

You make him sound like the next coming of Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman (but with a little offense and better size). Let's hope this for Kwame Collins.

Hyperbolic_Time_Chamber_Budokai_3.jpg

This is what Kanter needs.

I haven't seen much improvement since the beginning of last season ... so that's seven months. When you're as young as him, guys do progress quickly. He had a close to full year in the NBA, then he went for the P3 camp to improve his vertical and explosion ... but I don't see him any more explosive, any more skilled (no new moves or improvement on his outside shot), or even much better court awareness. He's still slow in his reactions. Slow is the key word. Look at some of the scrub bigs on the summer leagues team; they're all quicker. Granted, Kanter is a good rebounder but he was from day one with the Jazz.

Here's progress: Kanter's first game last season to when the Jazz beat L.A. in L.A. and Kanter was beast.

You make him sound like the next coming of Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman (but with a little offense and better size). Let's hope this for Kwame Collins.

Right now, I'm hoping he turns out to be like Nikola Pekovic for the next few years and from there progress to Love.