What's new

Kanter Review in the First Preseason Game

All I'm saying he isn't showing me much improvement, and no one has said anything yet to contradict it, but has simply made excuses for that. I certainly am rooting for him and hoping that he will fulfill his promise, but that still remains to be seen. And I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

it's not crazy to expect a young guy to stay in game shape throughout the summer when he intends to play summer league, oly ball and then report back to camp for a pivotal 2nd season just a month and a half after that. kanter had to know that the jazz were going to focus on him and burks in SL and that, as such, it would be important to come in ready to do whatever they asked. come october, he's not going to have opportunities like that to be one of two main focal points. if he squandered that by taking a few ill-timed weeks off from training, then that's got to be considered at least mildly disappointing.

having said that, he hasn't looked like a total fat-*** or anything. i think by and large the fan base is going to need to have some patience with kanter... which is what i've been saying all summer.

All I'm saying he isn't showing me much improvement, and no one has said anything yet to contradict it, but has simply made excuses for that. I certainly am rooting for him and hoping that he will fulfill his promise, but that still remains to be seen. And I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

he has made improvement, but it's a step-by-step thing. he's not going to be a star overnight.

having watched exactly one summer league game (i haven't seen today's yet), here are some things i think he's doing that he wasn't doing when last season started:

- fighting for position early, which allows him to catch lower
- similarly, meeting his guy before the low block on defense to deny him optimal position
- going toward the rim on attempts (as opposed to shooting everything with his momentum going away from the basket or side-to-side), although now he needs to start finishing better
- expanding his body so as to play bigger when he has the ball
- looked a lot less lost in P&R situations defensively, although it's not like there were a ton of those situations

I think we need to give him a chance, he'll develop some type of move offensively. Two things I noticed. 1. how extremely slow he is. Drummond was a lot quicker than Kanter. 2. How he didn't pass the ball. He would be double teamed and still try to make a move. He needs to let the game come to him and he'll look a lot better. This is just the first game but I wasn't impressed much.

On the bright side, Deron "crash" Washington did some nice things. Burks had a really nice drive near the end of the game but commited a couple offensive fouls early. I thought I saw Jeremy Evans on the bench but don't think he played.

Evans can't play until the last three games

David Mayo: Yesterday, Drummond schooled Kanter. Today, he's getting schooled by Kyle O'Quinn

Crap. O'Quinn was my guy going into the draft

Kanter has been underwhelming. Yes, he is young, but so is everyone else in the summer League. Unlike his excuse of not paying College ball on the draft night, he is now actually more experienced - against NBA oppositions no less, than most other players. It looks like increasingly likely that we have blown the best pick we had in recent memory. This is not to say Kanter will be a Koufos necessarily, but at this time a Koufos projection seems a lot more likely than him becoming a star player.

People are always going to overreact to the dumbest things.

Didn't he have 10/8 today? Sounds better than anything Favors did in his SL career.

You can't just go by the numbers. He's still very slow to react and getting blocked a ton. When you're as big as he is, and getting blocked that much, it shows your game is not ready. I know it's the NBA but he needs to be dunking like Blake Griffin. How often you see Blake get blocked. Sure he can't jump like Blake but I would venture to say he's as strong or stronger. Karl wasn't a leaper either but he used his strength. Kanter needs to react quicker and then just start using that strength of his. If I were his coach, I'd have him work totally on his inside game, on quick jumping, short hooks, using the backboard, and just tell him to run over people. Yeah, he might get charges but before long people are going to get out of the way. He could be a shorter version of Shaq.

People are always going to overreact to the dumbest things.

Didn't he have 10/8 today? Sounds better than anything Favors did in his SL career.

Dude, you don't know squat. We can tell who's going to be an All-Star/Hall of Famer by watching two summer league games and making judgments.

Signed,

Timmy and Ostertag

My guess is Kanter's main problem lies in the fact that he hasn't had any extended competitive basketball experience. Which means that what he basically did was playing pick up and practice games against some friendly folks for the most part. Maybe even against guys of the same age who are smaller. He may have somewhere in his head from then that he doesn't really want to hurt them hence lack of aggression, leaning away from defender and so on. I've played with some guys like that. Some of them are big friendly and kind teddy bears iand this translates on the court and they play soft until they got elbowed and have their lip dissected. It's all about mindset. Once he learns he is out there to hurt people or he will get hurt he will be fine.

My guess is Kanter's main problem lies in the fact that he hasn't had any extended competitive basketball experience. Which means that what he basically did was playing pick up and practice games against some friendly folks for the most part. Maybe even against guys of the same age who are smaller. He may have somewhere in his head from then that he doesn't really want to hurt them hence lack of aggression, leaning away from defender and so on. I've played with some guys like that. Some of them are big friendly and kind teddy bears iand this translates on the court and they play soft until they got elbowed and have their lip dissected. It's all about mindset. Once he learns he is out there to hurt people or he will get hurt he will be fine.

He always say he'll bring 'Toughness' to the Jazz.

Now - let's see if Mo can instill some real toughness in him. (I think it's possible - ala Kobe/Pau)

Kanter has been underwhelming. Yes, he is young, but so is everyone else in the summer League. Unlike his excuse of not paying College ball on the draft night, he is now actually more experienced - against NBA oppositions no less, than most other players. It looks like increasingly likely that we have blown the best pick we had in recent memory. This is not to say Kanter will be a Koufos necessarily, but at this time a Koufos projection seems a lot more likely than him becoming a star player.

You've got to be kidding right??
Were you actually watching Kanter's play last season?

Apparently Prodigy was....
Here's a little taste of how dominant Kanter had been in spurts last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxPIucywRyQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last season ... what about yesterday? He still is constantly getting his shot blocked at the rim. Why?

1. He's too slow in his reaction
2. He doesn't attack the rim with force; he ought to watch Griffin, or Favors even.

This....
Bigs are always a work in progress, and it will probably be a couple more years before we see a full on Kanter.

but who on the coaching staff is the go-to guy for big man coaching? We have got 2 young bigs and I am not sure where they are going to pick up stuff from. Big Al?

Last season ... what about yesterday? He still is constantly getting his shot blocked at the rim. Why?

1. He's too slow in his reaction
2. He doesn't attack the rim with force; he ought to watch Griffin, or Favors even.

I believe he needs to let the game come to him. He is forcing things way too much. When you get doubled someone is open, pass the ball. It doesn't matter who you are, if you're doubled and try to shoot the ball it's usually not going to go your way.

Yes, but there are times when he hesitates and then makes his move. He needs to react and go to the hole before the double team is established.

Yes, but there are times when he hesitates and then makes his move. He needs to react and go to the hole before the double team is established.

I think this will come in time. He needs to become smarter in the way he plays. The physical ability is there but the mind needs to catch up. On a side note, he did have a couple good looking jumpers that will really open his game if hit consistently.