What's new

Karl Antony Towns

he just can't get past the lack of traditional scoring/post game etc when it comes to Rudy

To be fair, Rudy was a net-negative offensively this year.

As much as y’all want to say he sucks defensively, KAT was a net-positive defensively, and metrically had a higher combined effect (defense + offense) than Rudy did.

As much as y’all want to say he sucks defensively, KAT was a net-positive defensively, and metrically had a higher combined effect (defense + offense) than Rudy did.

Err...by what measure? Everything I find says he was a net positive.

Regardless, I don't think Minn will trade KAT. Woj believes the Tpups would sooner ****can Tibbs than trade KAT and I think there's some merit to that.

We have zero chance of trading for a top level NBA asset this summer. Getting into the top 10 would be damn near impossible and getting a star as big as Towns is 0% from Minny's perspective and our perspective. Neither team wants it. There is zero chance that we trade Ingles, Mitchell or Gobert this offseason. Absolutely zero. Those are key pieces on a promising roster.

I absolutely hate these type threads and I'm all for trading. Going after a superstar using a current happy Jazzman locked into a reasonable contract the next 3 years is just a waste of time.

We have zero chance of trading for a top level NBA asset this summer. Getting into the top 10 would be damn near impossible and getting a star as big as Towns is 0% from Minny's perspective and our perspective. Neither team wants it. There is zero chance that we trade Ingles, Mitchell or Gobert this offseason. Absolutely zero. Those are key pieces on a promising roster.

I absolutely hate these type threads and I'm all for trading. Going after a superstar using a current happy Jazzman locked into a reasonable contract the next 3 years is just a waste of time.

I'm not entirely sure we couldn't sign on in FA. If we kicked our Ungs (minus Royce), renounced Derrick and Exum on their holds, we'd have 76.49m or so. Am I wrong on this or could someone confirm it?

I'm not entirely sure we couldn't sign on in FA. If we kicked our Ungs (minus Royce), renounced Derrick and Exum on their holds, we'd have 76.49m or so. Am I wrong on this or could someone confirm it?

We could open up the money to sign a big money free agent although I'm not entirely sure who qualifies this year and is actually attainable. Aaron Gordon might be the biggest player out there this summer via free agency, but he is restricted.

In my little rant, I was mainly addressing trade targets. I just don't think we have the assets to pursue a major trade target whether it be a high lottery pick or a player currently under contract elsewhere.

We could open up the money to sign a big money free agent although I'm not entirely sure who qualifies this year and is actually attainable. Aaron Gordon might be the biggest player out there this summer via free agency, but he is restricted.

In my little rant, I was mainly addressing trade targets. I just don't think we have the assets to pursue a major trade target whether it be a high lottery pick or a player currently under contract elsewhere.

Agreed on both counts. Just was pointing out we could create the cash pretty quickly if we wanted.

Gobert sets the tone for the identity of the team, which is its key to success. I don't think any other player in the league will complement the team's needs should Rudy be taken out of the picture.

I don't think there is such a thing as a mock trade including Gobert that 'has legs'. The Jazz aren't trading him.

you act like he is LBJ. Of course he is not untouchable. it's a busines s. I don't think some of you understand the NBA is a business plain and simple. If you let personal feelings into it,you fail.

Rudy is the Utah Jazz. I am not trading that for a wildly talented but aloof kid.

you act like he is LBJ. Of course he is not untouchable. it's a busines s. I don't think some of you understand the NBA is a business plain and simple. If you let personal feelings into it,you fail.
It's not a business plain and simple, and if you don't understand that after this season, there's nothing I can say to convince you.

People are not robots. Culture can make or break all of the talent in the world.

Also, I'm not sure I've made myself clear:

I would be thrilled to have KAT, but I'm not trading Gobert for him. My points are largely focused on LOSING Gobert. KAT might actually be one of the most perfect complements to the team (basically playing as Super Favors), I just don't think the Jazz have anything they'd be willing to part with for him. But I'd throw the non-Mitchell/Gobert kitchen sink at it.

Also, I'm not sure I've made myself clear:

I would be thrilled to have KAT, but I'm not trading Gobert for him. My points are largely focused on LOSING Gobert. KAT might actually be one of the most perfect complements to the team (basically playing as Super Favors), I just don't think the Jazz have anything they'd be willing to part with for him. But I'd throw the non-Mitchell/Gobert kitchen sink at it.
Minnesota was rumored to be interested in Tomic a number of years ago, for what it's worth.

Minnesota had the 3rd worst defensive rating in the NBA. Counting only the 56 games that Gobert played, Utah's defensive rating was #1 in the NBA by a mile. Including playoffs, the Jazz went 34-12 after Gobert got back from his injury - that's a 60 win pace over a half season's worth of games.

This trade would make us worse.

It has nothing to do about personal feelings. This team is built around Rudy Gobert, and the team's priority is defense. Business requires a coherent strategy to be done well, not willy nilly ********. Swapping Rudy Gobert for KAT makes no sense, based on what this Jazz team has constructed their success around.

I'd be willing to try it if we don't lose Mitchell/Gobert... and Ingles.

Dat Jingle...

I mean, consider this for a moment: Dennis Lindsey has repeatedly stated he and the Jazz org view Rudy as a top ten player in the NBA. That means that they view maybe --MAYBE-- 9 players as being better, in terms of overall impact. None of those nine possible players are going to have the same unique kind of impact that Rudy does. If we assume this to be true, then there is literally no player on the planet who can replace Rudy Gobert. Dennis Lindsey has also repeatedly emphasized the importance of defense as the team's primary philosophy, and it's clear that they have designed their defensive structure entirely around Rudy Gobert.

So, no - saying the Jazz have no interest in trading Gobert, in any reasonable scenario, is not the result of a poor understanding of business, or an over-investment in sentimental nonsense; it's an obvious deduction made from ample evidence about what the team has built, and how they intend to move forward with it.

PS - KAT is not one of the nine players who are arguably better than Rudy Gobert.

I love Rudy as much as the next guy here, and he absolutely deatroys 90% of the league but as soon as it comes to beating the two top teams in the league he suddenly becomes less relevant and we suddenly need more scoring instead

The best teams in the league are winning from the 3 point line where Rudy isnt.
Because 3pt shooting was the reason Houston beat us? It was the 36.3% vs the 35.7% that was the killer? You don't think it was the 5 extra turnovers per game we gave them, which resulted in an extra 25 shots over the series, or the fact that they made 18 more free throws while shooting only 2 more?

While they did shoot 42% of their shots from 3, and we only shot 34% from 3, there were other larger factors in that series as to why we lost than blaming it on Rudy.

Also, how about we point out the fact that we don't even get to the playoffs without Rudy. Even if what you said was true, which I don't believe, how about we use Rudy's domination over 90% of the league and ride his back to get where we need to be, then allow the other 14 people to do their part for the remaining 10%?

How relevant was Rudy in the GS destruction that went on this year? Only one team had our number this year, and that was Houston. I feel confident that we don't worry so much about trading Rudy out for someone else, and that we worry more about what other teammates can do to help him out. Next year I think DM takes on that role even more, and maybe some of the others too.

/rant