What's new

Keyonte George Hype & Appreciation Thread

I’m not too worried about keys shooting. I think his issues in college were primarily shot selection… but he might be one of those guys with a great stroke and it doesn’t fall as much as you’d expect like Bradley Beal.

The longer it goes the more troubling it is but I will give it a long while before full panic.

I think below shows the main appeal of Keyonte's game, taking deep shots off the dribble.

Wait... I thought we already had a bunch of guards who launch bricks without a second thought take deep shots off the dribble and who, like Keyonte, keep turning the ball over...?

Let's not lower his acceptable ceiling to "(slightly) younger THT". I understand that there's a strong need to see Key exceed expectations because our #9 pick doesn't look like an NBA player, but...

Longer term, I would take some of the ball-handing pressure off of him and let him focus on shooting in more of a Devin Booker-type role.
Huh?

Booker is a great jump shooter.

Again, I don't think we need any more "shooting guards who can't shoot".

The shooting is and isn't a concern. Perhaps the most worrying sign is that he never gets shots at the rim. On the brightside, there are areas where I think he is better than I expected. Overall, I think he's more on a trajectory to be a good player in this league but maybe not an all star. But it's still extremely early to have strong feelings one way or another. I think Cole Anthony (who is really freaking good btw) is still my median outcome for him. Garland would be the high end outcome and Key would also have to have the same extraordinary development to get to that level.

The shooting is and isn't a concern. Perhaps the most worrying sign is that he never gets shots at the rim. On the brightside, there are areas where I think he is better than I expected. Overall, I think he's more on a trajectory to be a good player in this league but maybe not an all star. But it's still extremely early to have strong feelings one way or another. I think Cole Anthony (who is really freaking good btw) is still my median outcome for him. Garland would be the high end outcome and Key would also have to have the same extraordinary development to get to that level.
Was Garland better than Key has been in his first 20 games?

Who do you think will have the better NBA career: Keyonte George or Ja Morant?

Fun question to think about.

Who do you think will have the better NBA career: Keyonte George or Ja Morant?

Fun question to think about.
If Key comes even close to Ja then we will all be very very happy. Off the court Ja is a knucklehead but he is an incredible basketball player and the odds of Key being as good or better is pretty low.

Keyonte has shown shades of Devin Booker and Reggie Jackson so far, and some of his passes have been DWill-esque.

I'm just still impressed with Key's passing and defense. He made like three or four defensive plays that really caught me off guard last night. Continues to move his feet well and be a pretty live body. Had a few bad gambles but you could see what he was going for. I wonder if Dunn is working with him a bit on defense.

I know people keep throwing out Booker and I think its not a great comp. Booker is an absolute assassin in the midrange and I would say one of Key's biggest areas of development is he is pretty awful there... like that is where he gets himself in trouble with terrible shots and turnovers. He needs to build out his body to get thicker like Book but I just don't see that one.

I don't have a great comp yet... need to see a full season before I go there.

Key's decision making is light years ahead of Garland's early career.
On both ends of the floor. Basketball genius is likely too strong of a description... basketball Valedictorian? He's so far ahead of where I'd expect a rook.

Ja, by far. Relax on the hype.
I don’t believe that’s what the question was. I viewed it more like asking who had the better career between Derrick Coleman and Robert Horry, or Steve Francis vs. Jeff Hornacek. It’s not a statement of who the better players are.

I don’t believe that’s what the question was. I viewed it more like asking who had the better career between Derrick Coleman and Robert Horry, or Steve Francis vs. Jeff Hornacek. It’s not a statement of who the better players are.
I mean, it's even harder to predict that kind of career outcome than it is individual success. Completely dependent on what teams Keyonte lands on throughout his career.

Memphis is pretty well setup for sustained success if Memphis (and Ja) dont completely **** it up.