What's new

Kobe thinks Hayward has a bright future

eacioban

“It was fun,” Hayward said. “You’re out there competing, especially against Kobe Bryant. He elbowed me early in the second half, and I gave him another elbow in the fourth quarter, so we were going at it and competing. I mean, you grew up watching Kobe do his thing, and now you’re out there as a competitor just trying to play as hard as you can against him.”

After going 9 for 14 with two 3-pointers, six rebounds and five assists off the bench, Hayward even earned effusive praise from Bryant, who has been in countless big games against the Jazz over the past 15 years.

“I’m very, very fond of him,” Bryant said. “He’s a very skilled, all-around player. I think he’s going to have a very bright future in this league. He reminds me of a more talented Jeff Hornacek. Jeff couldn’t put the ball on the floor as well as (Hayward) can.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AnytO1eTPpDDEURbKD68X268vLYF?gid=2011040513

"Jeff couldn’t put the ball on the floor as well as (Hayward) can.”

and I doubt Hayward will ever be quite the shooter Horny was. I hope I am wrong though.

Bryant knew the 1997-2000 Hornacek.

Not the Hornacek with 2 good knees.

And your point being? Horny never could drive the lane much. Don't remember him ever getting a left handed dunk either. Gordon will be much better at those things with a higher ceiling overall than Horny. I doubt he will ever be the pure shooter that Horny was, but close enough.

And your point being? Horny never could drive the lane much. Don't remember him ever getting a left handed dunk either. Gordon will be much better at those things with a higher ceiling overall than Horny. I doubt he will ever be the pure shooter that Horny was, but close enough.

Well my point is readily obvious but if you need further explanation:

There's plenty of film of Hornacek in his earlier years in Phoenix including the year he scored 20ppg - I would suggest you watch them. He put the ball on the floor quite often.

He elbowed me early in the second half, and I gave him another elbow in the fourth quarter

The best part. I like that for the first time somebody didn't play afraid and actually bodied up Kobe. As far as comparison, I think his game is much more like Ginobili than Hornacek.

I really like Hay's stroke. I think he will be a VERY GOOD shooter in this league. Watch him warm up before a game sometime.
This kid will be such a well rounded player for us. He has so many skills (attacking the rim, passing, defense). I was way off
on this kid draft night.

I really like Hay's stroke. I think he will be a VERY GOOD shooter in this league. Watch him warm up before a game sometime.
This kid will be such a well rounded player for us. He has so many skills (attacking the rim, passing, defense). I was way off
on this kid draft night.

Me too and I am happily eating my crow now. I love this kid. He is fun to watch.

I actually had a Hornacek flashback last night when I saw Hayward come of a curl and hit a quick mid range jumper. I have to credit those who said he was the real deal. He appears to be. He's reminds me a little of Ginobili and Hornaceck.

After watching the last couple of games he does really remind me of a younger Ginobili! Plus, I loved hearing that he likes to play the 2 more then 3!! 6ft 8 at the 2 Heck Yeah!!! And I like what coach has been Watson brings up the ball, gives it to Hayward and let Hayward do the rest! Number 9 pick is looking like a steal for him now :) Thanks MR. Oconnor!

The best part. I like that for the first time somebody didn't play afraid and actually bodied up Kobe. As far as comparison, I think his game is much more like Ginobili than Hornacek.
Spot on. I thought I was the only one that didn't get the Hayward-Hornacek comparisons. He is definitely more comparable to Ginobili, but with more size and athleticism. Hopefully, Hayward can develop into a clutch player like Ginobili is.

Spot on. I thought I was the only one that didn't get the Hayward-Hornacek comparisons. He is definitely more comparable to Ginobili, but with more size and athleticism. Hopefully, Hayward can develop into a clutch player like Ginobili is.