What's new

Korver and Burks trade

Burks career shooting percentage within 3 feet (.597) is almost the same as Exum's (.593), but he's worse from 3-10 feet (.324 vs .350). But all those Houdini buckets really do fool the eye.

Sometimes I wonder if Korver would be better as a low minutes starter - Ingles plays more minutes, but as the true 6th man. The more minutes that Korver can play with Gobert the better (surely).

I don't think op was debating the trade. I think he just said it worked out for everyone.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

True. I guess I was trying to curb the momentum of towards another debate.

I've never seen so much discussion over a player who everyone knew was out of the regular rotation and very likely gone this summer.

Sometimes I wonder if Korver would be better as a low minutes starter - Ingles plays more minutes, but as the true 6th man. The more minutes that Korver can play with Gobert the better (surely).
I don't think Korver would be as effective playing big minutes with the starters with the Favors/Gobert frontcourt and Mitchell currently piling up bricks from deep so far this season tbh. Reason why it works more for Ingles is because he's also a threat to put the ball on the floor and get to the hoop, or to create for others so if they close out hard he'll go past them and go to the hoop. If Korver can't get a shot off after a dribble or two he's pretty useless and will look to pass it off ASAP, and with cramped spacing he'll struggle to get consistent clean looks compared to when he comes in at the moment and Crowder usually joins him which instantly opens the spacing up with Favors off and Crowder on one wing with Korver on the other. Gets even better when the fun bench unit comes on and he's got Crowder and Ingles on the wings with him and Favors who can space the floor a little in the midrange area as well.

I don't think Korver would be as effective playing big minutes with the starters with the Favors/Gobert frontcourt and Mitchell currently piling up bricks from deep so far this season tbh. Reason why it works more for Ingles is because he's also a threat to put the ball on the floor and get to the hoop, or to create for others so if they close out hard he'll go past them and go to the hoop. If Korver can't get a shot off after a dribble or two he's pretty useless and will look to pass it off ASAP, and with cramped spacing he'll struggle to get consistent clean looks compared to when he comes in at the moment and Crowder usually joins him which instantly opens the spacing up with Favors off and Crowder on one wing with Korver on the other. Gets even better when the fun bench unit comes on and he's got Crowder and Ingles on the wings with him and Favors who can space the floor a little in the midrange area as well.

Good points.
But I was actually thinking of him being a 22 minute type of guy that just gets to play more of his minutes with Gobert. Maybe it would require Crowder at the 4 as well.

You said he had a knack for making them....
He does. Hell he has probably made more tough shots that anyone on the jazz in a long long time. He even got a nickname based off of that. He has made plenty of them.
I didn't say he was efficient at making them (literally no one in the whole league is efficient at making extremely difficult Houdini type shots) or that he never missed them.

Shad made a post that seemed to say that Burks didn't ever make tough shots. That's simply wrong so I pointed it out.

Last edited:
Korver (and Joe) would be good influences on the other guys on what sort of repitition and practice it takes to consistently shoot well. If what they are saying about his practice regime and discipline is true, then hopefully it rubs off on those on the team who are having difficulties with their shot.

My concern about Burks was not his ability to finish difficult shots, it was his knack for turning reasonably ok shots into difficult shots.

My concern about Burks was not his ability to finish difficult shots, it was his knack for turning reasonably ok shots into difficult shots.

He was just following in Houdini’s footsteps, he thought escaping from a straight jacket was too easy so he suspended himself upside down 100ft off the ground.

Since the Korver trade, the Jazz are 7-6, but are 2nd in net rating (+8.7), 2nd in defense and 13th in offense.

5-1 at home, 1st in home net rating (+18), 2nd in home defense and 7th in home offense.

And that 1 loss is a 1 point loss :(

You can say that about pretty much anyone in the league 'idiot'
Exactly. That's why your comment was so stupid.
Glad you recognized your stupidity.

Since the Korver trade, the Jazz are 7-6, but are 2nd in net rating (+8.7), 2nd in defense and 13th in offense.

5-1 at home, 1st in home net rating (+18), 2nd in home defense and 7th in home offense.
Wow, crazy numbers! Net rating of almost +9 and only just above 500! One of those two lines in unsustainable.

I thought the Jazz could be a top 2 seed earlier on, even with some losses - but their path to a top 4 side is still truly there. In fact, I would consider them a favourite.

Wow, crazy numbers! Net rating of almost +9 and only just above 500! One of those two lines in unsustainable.

I thought the Jazz could be a top 2 seed earlier on, even with some losses - but their path to a top 4 side is still truly there. In fact, I would consider them a favourite.

According to Basketball Reference, SRS (Simple Rating System), which rates teams based off point differential and strength of schedule, Jazz are 8th, and the 4th West team.