What's new

Kyrie Irving

I doubt he would come here or even consider here.

But if he does its a no brainer. Of course you sign him. He is a great player. He outplayed Curry in the finals the year Cavs won.

There is no way to keep Favors and sign him though. Unless you gut the team and that is a bad idea. You still need depth. Or unless Favors signs for really cheap, but I doubt he does that either.

My favorite thing about Favors on this board is. People want to trade him for someone else OR keep him on a contract for 10 mill a year. The first will happen before the second

My favorite thing about Favors on this board is. People want to trade him for someone else OR keep him on a contract for 10 mill a year. The first will happen before the second

I want to keep him, but the only way we're going to be players in free agency is if we trade him. Our hand is kind of forced at this point, hopefully he keeps playing really well so his trade value will skyrocket.

But if you trade for Kyrie. Donovan won't be the number 1 option on offence anymore
It'll be two headed monster with both players averaging around 25. If you imply leadership, this team's leader is Coach Q and big Joe on the court.

Fav openly said Utah's offer was the best one last offseason (16.7/year short/team incl. bonuses) which makes me think he'd be fine with 13 / 4 years. Not sure who said 10 though.

Last edited:

I don't know. DL could play a little hard ball (which he won't but...) and tell Favors that he can either accept a $10 or $11 million multi-year extension or he can test free agency waters.

Sure, some think Favors will get more than that in free agency, but you just never know. $10 or $11 is a couple million more than the full MLE so right away, we are hedging our bets that Favors would have to get more from a team with ample cap space. I don't see the team that gives Favors more than $11 per year on a deal longer than 1 year. Other than us, there are only 13 teams this summer with more than $10 million "practical cap space".

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2019/

Why would Dallas, New York, the Clippers, etc. sign him to more than $11 or $12 for multiple years? They are intent on max guys.

I don't know. DL could play a little hard ball (which he won't but...) and tell Favors that he can either accept a $10 or $11 million multi-year extension or he can test free agency waters.

Sure, some think Favors will get more than that in free agency, but you just never know. $10 or $11 is a couple million more than the full MLE so right away, we are hedging our bets that Favors would have to get more from a team with ample cap space. I don't see the team that gives Favors more than $11 per year on a deal longer than 1 year. Other than us, there are only 13 teams this summer with more than $10 million "practical cap space".

Why would Dallas, New York, the Clippers, etc. sign him to more than $11 or $12 for multiple years? They are intent on max guys.
Dallas. Favors and Porz is a wet-dream. Favors would be an amazing complement on any team with a floor-stretching big. If we didn't have Gobert we would be discussing how to add a stretch big along-side favors, not about trading or low-balling him. His value is severely under-estimated here.

If you're gonna dream, make it about Kevin Durant or Kawhi Leonard. Everyone on the team seems so happy to be here. Imagine dropping Kyrie "Flat Earth" Irving into their lives.
Kyrie fits right in and is more likely to sign (imo)
I understand you don't like Kyrie at all but perhaps you're getting mislead by the BOS media. Kyrie is a cool guy per his former teammates, never disruptive. He's not the cancer in BOS, it's Danny Ainge.

And let's remember
NBA Finals performance
Kyrie : 27.8 PPG (12 games)
Lebron : 27.4 PPG (44 games)
Kobe : 25.3 PPG (37 games)

I still think going to Atlanta makes a ton of sense for Favors. If they offered something similar to what the Jazz are offering, I bet he'd leave, and I wouldn't blame him.

Dallas. Favors and Porz is a wet-dream. Favors would be an amazing complement on any team with a floor-stretching big. If we didn't have Gobert we would be discussing how to add a stretch big along-side favors, not about trading or low-balling him. His value is severely under-estimated here.

Dallas could be interesting. I don't think any team would give Favors more than $15 million per year on a guaranteed multiyear deal.

We will see what happens. I think we end up missing out on big free agents and just picking up Favors' option.

Kyrie fits right in and is more likely to sign (imo)
I understand you don't like Kyrie at all but perhaps you're getting mislead by the BOS media. Kyrie is a cool guy per his former teammates, never disruptive. He's not the cancer in BOS, it's Danny Ainge.

And let's remember
NBA Finals performance
Kyrie : 27.8 PPG (12 games)
Lebron : 27.4 PPG (44 games)
Kobe : 25.3 PPG (37 games)

Kyrie is far from a cool guy and the Celtics will end up with a worse record than last year because his teammates prefer to be without him.

Either way, you can love Kyrie if you like. I am content in knowing that he would never sign with Utah. So no need to keep going.

Kyrie is far from a cool guy and the Celtics will end up with a worse record than last year because his teammates prefer to be without him.

Either way, you can love Kyrie if you like. I am content in knowing that he would never sign with Utah. So no need to keep going.
Your and idiot

Dallas could be interesting. I don't think any team would give Favors more than $15 million per year on a guaranteed multiyear deal.

We will see what happens. I think we end up missing out on big free agents and just picking up Favors' option.
I think that will happen too, that we will yet again value our internal growth, hopes for health, and financial flexibility over actually improving the team .

But given favors recent play I can see someone getting close to 20 for him. He makes a ton of sense for Dallas. There will be others in the mid- to high-teens competing with us.

This is a tough one. Not that it’s going to happen anyway. Part of me - my brain - wants nothing to do with him, but part of me - my heart - thinks that just maybe... it could work. And it would be glorious.
Irving
DM
Ingles
Favors
Rudy

Championship contenders.
That team has everything. An improved DM next year sharing the floor with an elite offensive guard will just explode.

I think that will happen too, that we will yet again value our internal growth, hopes for health, and financial flexibility over actually improving the team .

But given favors recent play I can see someone getting close to 20 for him. He makes a ton of sense for Dallas. There will be others in the mid- to high-teens competing with us.

So let's just break it down. 14 teams with $10+ cap space. Let me guess how they will use it:

Knicks $70+ = Durant and Cousins. If they don't get big names, they sign big one year deals

Clippers $60 = Kawhi and Butler

Nets $54 = they pay a ton to keep Russell and then they sign big expiring deals when they strike out on big free agents

Mavericks $52 = they overpay hometown boy Randle and overpay a couple role players.

Hawks $52 = still in rebuild mode, they use their cap space to absorb bad contracts to get assets

Pacers $48 = they keep most of their players who are free agents. No new big signings just role players

Lakers $43 = Kyrie eats up most their space whether they pull off a trade for AD or not

Sixers $41 = they keep Tobias and Redick

Kings $37 = they splash big money at some random guy like Bojan or Mirotic while also overpaying Barnes

Suns $27 = they sign Terry Rozier to some crazy contract. if Boston matches when Kyrie leaves, Suns overpay some vet like Millsap like they did with Ariza last year.

Bulls $24 = do they find another Jabari Parker to overpay or do they just go out and sign a couple smart supporting role vets.

Magic $22 = they use their money keeping Vucevic

Pelicans $18.5 = if they trade with Boston or LA, do they blow it up? If so, why spend big money?

Utah $17 = Keep Favors and sign somebody like Beverley, Green, etc.

Exum will never be 1/5 the player Derrick is

Look, I appreciate Favors as much as the next average Jazz fan, but it's not like Favors was dominant right from the get go. And he also struggled through injuries much of his career. His first 3 NBA seasons were pretty pedestrian. His career averages are 11.5ppg and 7.2rpg. He is an NBA starter quality player. He has been a great NBA starter for two seasons (14-15 and 15-16) but other than those years he's just been a run of the mill starter.

Exum isn't Favors by any means, but to say that he'll never be 1/5 of Favors is a pretty low bar. I think he would have to miss 50% of every season the rest of his career and never improve. Hell, when he was healthy earlier this year, there were plenty of games he was as valuable or more valuable than Favors.

I appreciate what Favors has accomplished in a couple playoff games the last couple years and most of this season, but let's remember that most of the appreciation for Favors is due to him being an awesome dude and not because he takes games over.