What's new

Lakers-Jazz Trade

I’m pretty sure we’re still out of seconds. I’ve been surprised we haven’t tried to pick a few up in any of these deals.
Jazz actually have four of them IIRC (that are tradable/in the next seven years).

Man it would be hilarious if Danny/JZ trade like half the roster in a 24 hour period and then goes to Mexico or some **** for Labor Day.

My proposed trade with the Lakers:
Bogey + Conley + Beasley + Vando + The Brooklyn Pick > Westbrook + Nunn + 27 unprotected + (Maybe the '28 swap - we are giving them alot) + 29 unprotected + 2 x 2nd round picks (if we can't get the 29 then 4 2nd picks and drop the Brooklyn pick)

Then in season trade Jordan Clarkson to a contender and trade Nunn at the deadline for another pick.

Last edited:
My proposed trade with the Lakers:
Bogey + Conley + Beasley + Vando + The Brooklyn Pick > Westbrook + Nunn + 27 unprotected + 29 unprotected + 2 x 2nd round picks (if we can't get the 29 then 4 2nd picks and drop the Brooklyn pick)

Then in season trade Jordan Clarkson to a contender and trade Nunn at the deadline for another pick.
I don’t like giving up Vando and a first in next year’s draft. It’d have to be Vando OR a FRP. I really don’t want to trade either.

But yes, a 3-for-1 with the Lakers seems close to inevitable.

Are there any scenarios with Bogey/Conley/Gay that would work for one of the Lakers FRP picks + 1-2 seconds?

I’d rather use Clarkson or Beasley to get a pick in the ‘24 draft.

I don’t like giving up Vando and a first in next year’s draft. It’d have to be Vando OR a FRP. I really don’t want to trade either.

But yes, a 3-for-1 with the Lakers seems close to inevitable.

Are there any scenarios with Bogey/Conley/Gay that would work for one of the Lakers FRP picks + 1-2 seconds?

I’d rather use Clarkson or Beasley to get a pick in the ‘24 draft.
A pick in the '23 looks great, even the Brooklyn pick, but...that '29 Laker pick could be a top 5 pick. So I don't know. I tend to put packages together where we give up too much, but I know that the Lakers would love that trade. I would really want those 27/29 picks. I would just do a 5 year stretch for Gay. The salary cap will jump up soon and we are going to have lots of salary space soon. I would rather keep getting value from trades.

Really wish the Jazz dumped Gay in the Cavs deal. His salary is now a real problem.

Anyone out there that wants some seconds and Jared Butler to take him on?
We are fine. Worst case you roster him and leave him home. We can trade Stanley Johnson into someone's space or a min trade exception... the other balls have to drop here. No need to give anything up to make it work.

My guess is he'd take a buyout and give back like 2M to pick his next destination. We will still duck the tax and have infinity cap space next year for what we need to do.

We are fine. Worst case you roster him and leave him home. We can trade Stanley Johnson into someone's space or a min trade exception... the other balls have to drop here. No need to give anything up to make it work.

My guess is he'd take a buyout and give back like 2M to pick his next destination. We will still duck the tax and have infinity cap space next year for what we need to do.
There is an absolute set of constraints on the deal now, though, with the Jazz being right against the tax and not far from the apron.

I don’t think getting the whole bag from the Lakers is a sure thing and so being shorter on assets is maybe a big deal.

There is an absolute set of constraints on the deal now, though, with the Jazz being right against the tax and not far from the apron.

I don’t think getting the whole bag from the Lakers is a sure thing and so being shorter on assets is maybe a big deal.
I think we end up doing a deal for one pick... not both. Maybe one swap. I think Turner Hield might be worth 2 picks but not sure Bogey and JC is. Beasely may be in it too but I think he's a guy I'd work to keep as I could see his value rocketing up or us keeping him cuz he's young.

I think we end up doing a deal for one pick... not both. Maybe one swap. I think Turner Hield might be worth 2 picks but not sure Bogey and JC is. Beasely may be in it too but I think he's a guy I'd work to keep as I could see his value rocketing up or us keeping him cuz he's young.
I mean, even if Beasley's value rockets up, is he going to net an incredibly valuable unprotected 1st? Eyes on the prize.

If the Lakers just won't give the best offer for the Jazz's best offer then that is probably just that. But that is exactly what the Jazz should be shooting for with all of their loose-ends vets.

I mean, even if Beasley's value rockets up, is he going to net an incredibly valuable unprotected 1st? Eyes on the prize.
Just so you know... I'm 100% with you and would go further than everyone I think. I'd do Bogey/Malik/Vando/JC/Mike (I know it isn't legal) to get both. Just saying if they say both picks aren't on the table we might prefer to keep Malik.

Just so you know... I'm 100% with you and would go further than everyone I think. I'd do Bogey/Malik/Vando/JC/Mike (I know it isn't legal) to get both. Just saying if they say both picks aren't on the table we might prefer to keep Malik.
Right, sure. He and Conley could rehab value really quickly and net something decent (or good) mid-season.

Right, sure. He and Conley could rehab value really quickly and net something decent (or good) mid-season.
My guess is the deal becomes Westbrook and Nunn plus 1 first and a couple seconds for Bogey, JC, Beasley, Gay. We waive both guys and clear the roster glut in one move.

My guess is the deal becomes Westbrook and Nunn plus 1 first and a couple seconds for Bogey, JC, Beasley, Gay. We waive both guys and clear the roster glut in one move.
Something to think about here is dumping NAW into someone's space or TPE since he might still have just a little bit of shine on him in case sending ~5 million extra to the Jazz is seen as a priority for the Lakers.

I do think Bogey, Beasley, Vando, JC for Westbrook and Nunn lines up pretty well.

Another weird idea... could the Jazz send lesser swap rights from one of the '26 picks to LA?

I just want to get this trade done before I lose cell reception for three days this weekend.

I just want to get this trade done before I lose cell reception for three days this weekend.
This one for sure won't happen until the Wolves players can be aggregated, so you (and I) shouldn't worry about it.

@andylarsen @Tony Jones

Do you know if the Jazz could send swap rights from one of Cleveland or Minnesota's picks in '26 in a trade? Is there anything special about the swap they got from Cleveland in '26 (because of the swap already owed by Minnesota)?

This one for sure won't happen until the Wolves players can be aggregated, so you (and I) shouldn't worry about it.
I think a deal could be announced today. We are in the right timeframe now. Getting it done now instead waiting over Labor Day weekend. Its weird but I think it could be pushed through because of that.