What's new

Lakers-Jazz Trade

So lets say the Lakers keep Russ cuz they think they can keep the powder dry and clear the cap to sign Kyrie...

They kill a year of Lebron and AD.

Spend a bunch more in tax this year.

Put their fans through a miserable experience.

All in hopes that Kyrie goes there (they don't have max but no one wants to pay Kyrie so it might be okay).

They gonna hope Kyrie/Lebron/AD wins a title in a one year window?

Because I hate the Lakers I am okay with this plan... but its kinda stupid. Their plan is to hope to get Kyrie... KYRIE!!! maybe the least dependable dude in the league.

Uhh, me and @stitches told yall from the start.

Utah likes THT and they feared a Russ/Indy trade would go down that included THT, so they overpaid to make sure they got him. It was really that simple.
Yep... very likely the FO liked THT much better than people here. But at the same time I want to point out that this doesn't preclude the possibility that we actually ****ed that **** up. Both can be true... we will see in due time.

So lets say the Lakers keep Russ cuz they think they can keep the powder dry and clear the cap to sign Kyrie...

They kill a year of Lebron and AD.

Spend a bunch more in tax this year.

Put their fans through a miserable experience.

All in hopes that Kyrie goes there (they don't have max but no one wants to pay Kyrie so it might be okay).

They gonna hope Kyrie/Lebron/AD wins a title in a one year window?

Because I hate the Lakers I am okay with this plan... but its kinda stupid. Their plan is to hope to get Kyrie... KYRIE!!! maybe the least dependable dude in the league.
And they still could with the Jazz's offer but also play for a ring this year too.

Uhh, me and @stitches told yall from the start.

Utah likes THT and they feared a Russ/Indy trade would go down that included THT, so they overpaid to make sure they got him. It was really that simple.
I think if the Jazz don't make this trade the Lakers would have already traded a first and THT to Indy without involving Westbrook.

I think if the Jazz don't make this trade the Lakers would have already traded a first and THT to Indy without involving Westbrook.
And I think a block of Indy was partly the motivation… but obviously have to be okay with THT.

THT just makes no sense now that we acquired two additional guards… maybe they didn’t think the Cavs deal would happen… but we currently have:

Mike
Sexton
Ochai
Beasley
JC
THT
JB

Some can play the 3 at times but it’s not like THT has a great route to playing 25 minutes a night and I don’t want him to have the ball in his hands a ton. We obviously make a trade to clear out 1 or 2 of those guys…. But we don’t seem to be in a big hurry.

And I think a block of Indy was partly the motivation… but obviously have to be okay with THT.

THT just makes no sense now that we acquired two additional guards… maybe they didn’t think the Cavs deal would happen… but we currently have:

Mike
Sexton
Ochai
Beasley
JC
THT
JB

Some can play the 3 at times but it’s not like THT has a great route to playing 25 minutes a night and I don’t want him to have the ball in his hands a ton. We obviously make a trade to clear out 1 or 2 of those guys…. But we don’t seem to be in a big hurry.
Don't forget NAW.

Mike
Sexton
Ochai
Beasley
JC
THT
JB

Yeah, as of right now I don't even think THT would be in the rotation. Maybe we unload Mike and JC before the season starts and open up some minutes, but even then, we still have a lot of other guards, and I don't see him getting much playing time. That trade is the only thing we've done this offseason that I really don't like or understand.

Mike
Sexton
Ochai
Beasley
JC
THT
JB

After summer league, is JB even an option?

Yeah... He wasn't good but Summer League is a small sample size. I still think he is an NBA player... though we have enough prospects on this team now that I'm not gonna get mad if he doesn't play.

Yep... very likely the FO liked THT much better than people here. But at the same time I want to point out that this doesn't preclude the possibility that we actually ****ed that **** up. Both can be true... we will see in due time.
But there's a good chance, as Cy says, that without having traded for THT earlier, the Lakers-Indy trade would have been completed and Russ (and the two Laker picks) would be completely off the table now. It may effectively not be on the table for us now, so the point may be moot. But in that case it's just a matter of whether you think THT is worth the shot. It hasn't particularly screwed us up.

We were always going to have the dilemma of taking back more contracts than we sent out in the majority of trades (for Bogey, Conley, Clarkson, etc.). The Russ trade was the only clean route to solve that problem a bit. The THT trade probably helped keep the possibility of a Russ trade for us alive longer, but it looks likely that it still won't happen in the end.

I can see Butler, Stanley Johnson and NAW included in a 3-1 trade or traded for a couple of second round picks. I thought Butler stunk in SL. The player taken just before him in the 2nd round barely got a second two way contract from the Kings. I know he's young, but unless the Jazz go in super tank mode, he ain't playing.

They could have done THT plus some stuff for Turner and maybe only one pick… The pacers seem to have a weird thing with buying out Russ.
Maybe?

But I don't think they wanted THT without getting rid of Hield. They also have kind of a SG logjam. And the Lakers were not going to trade THT for only Hield and not Turner, I suspect. And if you get both Turner and Hield, the Lakers definitely had to send out Russ.

Last edited:
Maybe?

But I don't think they wanted THT without getting rid of Hield. They also have kind of a SG logjam. And the Lakers were not going to trade THT for only Hield and not Turner, I suspect. And if you get both Turner and Hield, the Lakers definitely had to send out Russ.

There was definitely rumblings in the media about Turner for THT + a pick. If the Jazz get both Laker picks, this deal had something to do with that.

I do think Danny likes THT too though, for whatever reason.

A lot of people were desperate to find reasoning that made sense when in the end the Jazz actually just really, really ****ed that **** up.

Two of the top Lakers priorities this offseason had to have been:
- Get off THT's bad contract (and play, he ****ing sucks)
- Get a solid starting point guard that is comfortable off ball with intangibles

We gave them all of that in one deal and got nothing but the ****** player.
THT is going to make you look like the ultimate dumbass. I can't wait to see it.

Yes and no... I agree there is way more pressure on the Lakers here as they basically can't do a straight expiring swap for Russ and are stuck with him or taking on salary if we move on... We do have some pressure though. Bogey is on an expiring contract and you will get the most value for him before the season starts. So there is an expiration date at some point here.

Compared to the Lakers, the pressure is essentially nil. The Jazz can easily trade Bogey.

I still say the Beverley trade works in the Jazz favor right now... it is creating more pressure with each passing day.

If that trade hadn't been completed, it would be way easier for LA to insist (with a straight face) that Westbrook is "their guy". But with him on the roster, all of their preseason media coverage becomes intolerable theater.

Beverley could start. Russ may be asked to come off the bench. It would be difficult for any opposing GM have a hand in setting up the type of scenario that exists right now in LA, but Ainge has done exactly that.

No one in their right mind buys that those two are going to get along for 82 games. If the Jazz get what they want from Pelinka, the THT trade becomes legendary.

Just keep in mind that at the time the Jazz grabbed THT they were likely going with the Knicks and wouldn’t have a lot of youth at the guard position. So why not take a shot on him? They also probably perceived that THT made an Indiana trade more feasible.

Sadly, it might wind up being the one minor misstep of an otherwise amazing summer.

There was definitely rumblings in the media about Turner for THT + a pick. If the Jazz get both Laker picks, this deal had something to do with that.

I do think Danny likes THT too though, for whatever reason.

He's like a poor man's Marcus Smart. There's some potential there, but he's raw and undisciplined. He loves to shoot off balance, and it really shows.