What's new

Lakers-Jazz Trade

NUMBERICA

Also, don't underestimate Lebron making a BIG ****ing scene if **** goes down basically the same way it did last time. And what does it do to their ability to draw a premier free agent there anyway? Even a tool like Kyrie? If there's any dude in the league that would be stoked to flex how above money (and glamour and whatever else) he is, it's Kyrie, and not even he would be attracted to something that EVERY indication says is a total tire-fire.

I'll be satisfied with a paired-down offer that gets one pick or a less paired-down offer for additional marginal compensation like you mentioned.

I'm not totally sure the Heat deal is actually there. Duncan's contract is onerous, even for a team that's gonna spend a few years playing for picks and there is a ceiling on what the Heat might be willing to offer. But I agree, I think their '23 and Jovic would be enticing for Bogey. PHX '24 unprotected might be the dream though, if it's just Bogey.
I keep coming back to that running it back with Westbrook will be a total catastrophe for them and not just for this upcoming season. They have to shed the LOLakers stink they got on them now or free agency might not be too promising for them either.

Furthermore, getting good players now for picks then allows them to have the option of re-signing some of them due to their Bird Rights in case chasing some other player(s) doesn't work out so well; it gives them a backup plan. And in the case of Vanderbilt, it should be important for them to have a perfect-fit NBA player that ALSO fits into their free agency plans next offseason as well, due to his discount deal.

Some alternate pitches to get it over the finish line (they get all the veterans we can offer, but no extras like 2nds, the Cavs '26 swap if that can be arranged, etc) :
-'27 super swap, '28 top-3 protected (top-3 protected in 2029 or else conveys to 2nds)
-'26 swap, '27 top-3 protected (through '28, '29 becomes unprotected), 2nds

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I keep coming back to that running it back with Westbrook will be a total catastrophe for them and not just for this upcoming season. They have to shed the LOLakers stink they got on them now or free agency might not be too promising for them either.

Furthermore, getting good players now for picks then allows them to have the option of re-signing some of them due to their Bird Rights in case chasing some other player(s) doesn't work out so well; it gives them a backup plan. And in the case of Vanderbilt, it should be important for them to have a perfect-fit NBA player that ALSO fits into their free agency plans next offseason as well, due to his discount deal.

Some alternate pitches to get it over the finish line (they get all the veterans we can offer, but no extras like 2nds, the Cavs '26 swap if that can be arranged, etc) :
-'27 super swap, '28 top-3 protected (top-3 protected in 2029 or else conveys to 2nds)
-'26 swap, '27 top-3 protected (through '28, '29 becomes unprotected), 2nds
I think they are just flat out stupid or they have no faith that Lebron/AD have another title run in them.

There is a large part of me that roots for chaos here and just hopes they do run it back. We can get picks elsewhere… it would make this season like 25% more enjoyable to watch the titanic slam into the iceberg again.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Fair enough! Course it goes both ways, with injuries and such last year for Beverly and at 34 prolly out of the league in two years.
His value was at least a protected first somewhere. We traded our third best player in franchise history for a certain return and immediately flushed part of that return down the toilet.