What's new

Lakers-Jazz Trade

Which is exactly why they should want some salary back. If they only have Lebron and AD doing a sign and trade is a no go. They should do like Mike, Bogey, Beasley, Gay for 1 pick and a swap… then you sign and trade using Conley/Beasley so you can actually meet the salary demands of Kyrie.

Lakers front office is pretty dumb imo. They are surprisingly shallow so it wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t see the more obvious path to getting Kyrie if that is their end game.
Couldn't they accept Beasley's team option and absorb Kyrie's salary back by just trading him away since they'd be significantly under the cap?

It depends on who we keep I guess, will our roster be deeper? Sure. But the top end talent on our roster will be significantly worse than it has been for the past few seasons. Rudy was a top 15 player, Donovan was a top 30 player, and Quinn was one of the best coaches in the league. It's important to have good role players but star talent is what separates teams in the NBA and we went from having two top 30 players to our best player being a fringe top 100 guy.

Outside of Sexton, Lauri, and Vanderbilt we probably won't really have anyone on our roster that has been a consistent NBA rotational player.
True but now these guys will be given the opportunity to become star talent. I think there's a lot of dormant talent out there that just needs that extended opportunity. So win or lose it should be fun to see these guys develop. And when we do win a championship I hope they erect a statue to Danny Ainge.

Couldn't they accept Beasley's team option and absorb Kyrie's salary back by just trading him away since they'd be significantly under the cap?
If they have 35M in space and he will accept that... then that is all they can offer in a sign and trade too... however if they have $40M in expiring salary they can offer that with a pick and I think Brooklyn would bite. Beasley is particularly attractive for that purpose because if you strike out you can exercise his option.

Also taking some salary means they can hold on to bird rights for Bev and others if they want. Going scorched earth is pretty dumb. You play FA like Miami does... get the player that wants to be there and have something good enough to send back for a sign and trade.

If they have 35M in space and he will accept that... then that is all they can offer in a sign and trade too... however if they have $40M in expiring salary they can offer that with a pick and I think Brooklyn would bite. Beasley is particularly attractive for that purpose because if you strike out you can exercise his option.

Also taking some salary means they can hold on to bird rights for Bev and others if they want. Going scorched earth is pretty dumb. You play FA like Miami does... get the player that wants to be there and have something good enough to send back for a sign and trade.
So theoretically they could sign and trade for Kyrie using Conley, Beasley, and a first... and retain Bogey, Bev's, bird rights and keep them as long as they don't exceed the hard cap... but Lakers FO are a bunch of basic bitches and haven't thought this all the way through.

Bron
Ky
Bev
Bogey
AD

For next year is better than Ky, Bron, AD obvi... Add in the bonus of having this lineup for 22-23

Conley
Bev
Bogey
Bron
AD

With Beasley off the bench (or maybe you bring Conley off the bench)

It will cost you your draft but having those future picks and punting the rest of Bron's career and AD's prime is dumb.

So theoretically they could sign and trade for Kyrie using Conley, Beasley, and a first... and retain Bogey, Bev's, bird rights and keep them as long as they don't exceed the hard cap... but Lakers FO are a bunch of basic bitches and haven't thought this all the way through.
What are the Jazz getting, though? Pick and a swap?

At this point I’ll take a singular pick.
I probably would too, but gifting them everything they need to contend now and maybe for a few years for a single pick feels really unbalanced.

Got to get something else. 3+ 2nds… something. But the Lakers cannot **** around about this. I really just cannot believe they are serious about keeping Westbrook and the immediate and long term consequences of that.

The ‘26 pick is also swappable and not (easily) tradable, FWIW (and a decent sell to the Lakers since it only conveys if the all of the Jazz, Wolves, and Cavs have better records).

What are the Jazz getting, though? Pick and a swap?
Yeah a 2028 pick and a swap in 27 with any of our picks. Gives them a couple swaps and a pick to send with expiring contracts for Kyrie.

I figure an unprotected far out pick is worth at least 2 protected picks.... I'm also not convinced we get a first for JC/Beasley/Conley separately without taking on **** salary.

3 way where Bogey/Mike/Grayson Allen go to LA and we send JC to Milwaukee gives LA like 33M in expiring money to throw around... can add a couple minimum guys to the trade next year to push the salary a little higher to get Kyrie.

I probably would too, but gifting them everything they need to contend now and maybe for a few years for a single pick feels really unbalanced.

Got to get something else. 3+ 2nds… something. But the Lakers cannot **** around about this. I really just cannot believe they are serious about keeping Westbrook and the immediate and long term consequences of that.

The ‘26 pick is also swappable and not (easily) tradable, FWIW (and a decent sell to the Lakers since it only conveys if the all of the Jazz, Wolves, and Cavs have better records).
I want a decade of second round pick swaps. Piling up too many second rounders has a lot of diminishing returns if you’re trying to dump them if you haven’t tried to redeem them for something else, but having a large amount of swaps could get you a close guarantee of all those picks being fairly solid when they do come.

I want a decade of second round pick swaps. Piling up too many second rounders has a lot of diminishing returns if you’re trying to dump them if you haven’t tried to redeem them for something else, but having a large amount of swaps could get you a close guarantee of all those picks being fairly solid when they do come.
Well in the meantime, we don't have many 2nds to start with so I'm motivated to get a greater quantity of them.

And again, 2nds don't have to be used to draft, they are great for dialing in transactions.

Well in the meantime, we don't have many 2nds to start with so I'm motivated to get a greater quantity of them.

And again, 2nds don't have to be used to draft, they are great for dialing in transactions.
Yeah, we definitely need more. What I mean is that at some point you reach a saturation point with the second rounders. I think second round pick swaps end up looking like a novelty but having a large amount of those prevents you from getting too saturated but having really high quality.

Yeah a 2028 pick and a swap in 27 with any of our picks. Gives them a couple swaps and a pick to send with expiring contracts for Kyrie.

I figure an unprotected far out pick is worth at least 2 protected picks.... I'm also not convinced we get a first for JC/Beasley/Conley separately without taking on **** salary.
Sending '28 for them problematizes their ability to send either '27 or '29. I would love '27 super swap and '28 unprotected but I think it makes it hard for them to use '29.

Sending '28 for them problematizes their ability to send either '27 or '29. I would love '27 super swap and '28 unprotected but I think it makes it hard for them to use '29.
Once the draft passes they can send out the 2030 pick to get Ky... we could also do a 2027 pick and a 28 swap... but they still can only send out 1 pick and 1 swap. So I see no issue with 2028 pick and 27 swap.

They also have the worse of their pick or NO. I would take a swap in 23 and a 28 pick. I could see NO and LA both struggling to make the playoffs if they have injuries to stars.

The Lakers can also trade a 2026 pick swap. Best thing for them to do would be 2026 pick swap plus 2027 unprotected 1st.

I'm sure Ainge really wants those picks... but I do wonder if he tells the Lakers they have through the weekend to make up their mind and then we need to go in another direction with one of the other offers.

I'm sure Ainge really wants those picks... but I do wonder if he tells the Lakers they have through the weekend to make up their mind and then we need to go in another direction with one of the other offers.

2026 pick swap and 2027 unprotected 1st