What's new

Larson: Gobert on pace for most dunks in a season.

When we saw all those lobs in preseason people were saying the 'freedom of movement' stuff would really help Gobert. Sounded like preseason babbling, but we are starting to see a real difference. Teams will adjust obviously, but hopefully by adjusting for that it opens up some other things.

Loving their continuity on the lobs to Rudy, adds a huge element to our offense and forces the d to stick with Rudy and gives us those easy one legged layups.

Loving their continuity on the lobs to Rudy, adds a huge element to our offense and forces the d to stick with Rudy and gives us those easy one legged layups.

I think part of it is how they're hitting him to. I remember an issue last year was getting the ball to Rudy where he could be be effective. I'm seeing more passes to the upper part of his torso as well as the lobs. It makes him much more effective because he can quickly get it to the basket. Small change, but extremely effective.

I think part of it is how they're hitting him to. I remember an issue last year was getting the ball to Rudy where he could be be effective. I'm seeing more passes to the upper part of his torso as well as the lobs. It makes him much more effective because he can quickly get it to the basket. Small change, but extremely effective.
Helps Rudy's defensive intensity too knowing that he's involved offensively. Rudy is all about the team but it's hard sprinting up and down the court knowing you're not getting looks.

I don't know, when you think of what a team gives up to try to guard the dunk, it isn't very appetizing for opposing teams. All 3 of Rubio, Ingles, and especially Mitchell are top notch finishers at the rim, and excellent passers. They are the 3 who usually initiate the lob. If you sag off of them to protect the lob, then you open a bit of light at the rim for Mitchell, let's say, and he euro-steps and long-reaches his way to another layup. You find a way to cover both, by sagging into the middle, and Ingles, for example, find a wide open Rubio on the perimeter (or Mitchell, Crowder, Allen, take your pick) and you are giving up another high-percentage shot. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Rudy continue this pace for dunks as I think other teams will hope for more missed set-up passes and deflections than try to guard against that and open everything else up. Very very dangerous weapon this year.

Helps Rudy's defensive intensity too knowing that he's involved offensively. Rudy is all about the team but it's hard sprinting up and down the court knowing you're not getting looks.
I agree to a point. But Rudy's competitiveness, focus on the team, and personal drive transcends all of that. Yeah the opportunity to finish at the rim from unselfish team-mates probably puts a little giddy-up in his stride, but he would sprint just the same if he were averaging 8 points per game. That is just who he is. One of the fiercest competitors I have seen in the NBA, let alone in a Jazz uni.

With that repetition has come improvement from the Jazz’s ballhandlers who have a better idea where Golbert and Favors like the pass thrown.

Man I expect better from our own media. Sure everyone else will mess up his name, but damn man.

Man I expect better from our own media. Sure everyone else will mess up his name, but damn man.
2l9ard.jpg

Just a typo -- note on the keyboard, l is right under O, so it's possible both were typed together resulting in ol instead of just o.
Editing is a lost art apparently.

Editing is a lost art apparently.
It was online, right? So they apparently didn't edit. Even in books today, there is less editing. You're right, it is a lost art. And it's hard to find good ones. Some who do try to edit, overdo it. I know from experience, having had editors f up some of my articles. There are some good ones left, though, and they are ones who don't edit heavily but precisely in just the right places.