What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Without a doubt Lauri is on the greatest outside shooting heater of his career. He won't be able to sustain it until the end of the season (that's impossible for pretty much anyone), but by God... the dude is absolutely on fire right now. He really should be taking ten 3pt shots per game. When you're making those shots at a 50% clip and don't need to dominate possessions, it's such an efficient way to put points on the board. Everyone else's margin for error increases and the whole team can play more loose.

I haven't seen it discussed much that Markkanen has one pretty rare weapon for a 7ft shooter/scorer - he moves around a LOT. Detroit players admitted in postgame interviews that they couldn't "find" him, leading to all those open shots. Most bigs aren't willing or able to constantly relocate: when you're that size, it tires you out.

I think he will definitely end up above 40% from 3 on the year.

Your last point is one that should definitely be talked about more. He’s a Dirk/KD hybrid.

I think he will definitely end up above 40% from 3 on the year.

Your last point is one that should definitely be talked about more. He’s a Dirk/KD hybrid.
I wouldn't mind throwing him the ball in the 15-18 foot range a few more times a game and letting him go to work. He has surprised me.

Say the Pistons quotes and just had a thought. The Bulls sing and trade Lauri for what? nothing... the Bulls turned Lavine, Carter Jr., Lauri and a ton of picks... one that became Franz Wagner into Lavine, Derozan, Vuc, Ball... man imagine having just Zach, Carter Jr., Lauri, Wagner, and all your picks plus some guys they could have added through space. Needed to let the cake bake instead of trying to step on the gas to please Zach and get him to re-sign (to a ****** contract)... yeesh.

I wouldn't mind throwing him the ball in the 15-18 foot range a few more times a game and letting him go to work. He has surprised me.

Say the Pistons quotes and just had a thought. The Bulls sing and trade Lauri for what? nothing... the Bulls turned Lavine, Carter Jr., Lauri and a ton of picks... one that became Franz Wagner into Lavine, Derozan, Vuc, Ball... man imagine having just Zach, Carter Jr., Lauri, Wagner, and all your picks plus some guys they could have added through space. Needed to let the cake bake instead of trying to step on the gas to please Zach and get him to re-sign (to a ****** contract)... yeesh.

Just some baffling moves by them and Sacramento trading Haliburton was perplexing. There is always opportunities out there just have to do your due diligence.

Just some baffling moves by them and Sacramento trading Haliburton was perplexing. There is always opportunities out there just have to do your due diligence.
The Kings moves are going to lead to them having their first playoff experience in over 20 years and Sabonis is having arguably an on par season as Haliburton this year.

Cy is right. The kings are the franchise all others should model themselves after. Their track record doesn't lie.

Cy is right. The kings are the franchise all others should model themselves after. Their track record doesn't lie.
What benefit do you get from being an absolute moron like this? An absolute contortion of what I said to just be a jackass?

The Kings trade for Sabonis was not a great trade by any means. It sucks to let go of a talent like Tyrese without getting back a ton of picks, but Sabonis is playing out of his mind and having a career season.

It also sucks to draft Keegan Murray over Jaden Ivey/Benedict Mathurin/Shaedon Sharpe but it was probably the right move for them just to get over the absolute weight of being the worst franchise in the NBA in the 21st century. There is a limit to how much you can criticize these less than "optimal" moves because they are directly responsible for producing the best results the franchise has had in decades.

I haven't seen it discussed much that Markkanen has one pretty rare weapon for a 7ft shooter/scorer - he moves around a LOT. Detroit players admitted in postgame interviews that they couldn't "find" him, leading to all those open shots. Most bigs aren't willing or able to constantly relocate: when you're that size, it tires you out.
It was funny a few times how the Detroit players very apparently got Lauri and Kessler mixed up. Either one running a screen for the other, ball in Lauri's hands, Kessler moves to the side, and two or three Detroit players tag on him, leaving Lauri open for 3p. It didn't happen just once or twice :D
Then again, I have to admit I sometimes get them mixed up on TV too. I wondering why Kessler is taking the 3p shot and not passing to Markkanen going for the basket, and then after some confused blinking I am like "oooh, no wait, that was 23 and that one is 24" :p

It was funny a few times how the Detroit players very apparently got Lauri and Kessler mixed up. Either one running a screen for the other, ball in Lauri's hands, Kessler moves to the side, and two or three Detroit players tag on him, leaving Lauri open for 3p. It didn't happen just once or twice :D
Then again, I have to admit I sometimes get them mixed up on TV too. I wondering why Kessler is taking the 3p shot and not passing to Markkanen going for the basket, and then after some confused blinking I am like "oooh, no wait, that was 23 and that one is 24" :p

Now... If we can convince them getting the same haircuts too it will be inevitable no one can tell them apart and the championship is secured!

Haliburton is an insane talent and already elite at 22 years old. There is no way you ever trade away a guy like him unless he forces your hand. Not in a rebuild, not in a firesale.

Gonna make ASG for sure.

I want to see more iso lauri. Like that pump fake dunk he did.
That play was great. The fake made Bagley hang in the air. There's no better place to put a defender when you wanna get past him. Shoot or drive? Keep them guessing wrong, Lauri.

Maybe the single best play all season so far. I came right out of my seat, my wife thought I was having a stroke.

Come to think of it, she seemed a little too hopeful.
I actually don't care much about his shooting. We all know Europeans can shoot. But to see a 7footer move like that It's going to open up more options for him especially on pressure situations where coaches lean more on mismatches. Hardy knows this, he's a Popovich guy. He will prefer somebody who can attack the rim and break defenses than a guy who will just shoot 3s