What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Lauri Markkanen in a sign-and-trade agreement from Chicago, Cavaliers General Manager Koby Altman announced Saturday from Cleveland Clinic Courts. In a three-team deal, Cleveand traded forward Larry Nance Jr. to Portland and a protected 2023 second round pick (via Denver) to Chicago. The Bulls also received forward Derrick Jones Jr. from Portland and the Trail Blazers’ lottery protected 2022 first round pick as part of the trade.
So, Cavs gave up Nance Jr and a protected 2nd round pick for Lauri? That's a pretty sweet deal.

Haliburton is an insane talent and already elite at 22 years old. There is no way you ever trade away a guy like him unless he forces your hand. Not in a rebuild, not in a firesale.

Gonna make ASG for sure.
Have you seen what Sabonis is doing this year? Sabonis is having a better year than Haliburtin and is only 26. Should they have just kept Haliburtin and been another lottery team yet again?

Have you seen what Sabonis is doing this year? Sabonis is having a better year than Haliburtin and is only 26. Should they have just kept Haliburtin and been another lottery team yet again?
You are sometimes so eager to throw out hot garbage takes that you manage to baffle me. In those 3 small sentences you:
1) Somehow indicated that my post had anything to do with Sabonis. I simply said you dont trade away a guy like Tyrese.
2) Compared a center to a playmaking guard, and told us which one of them is having a better year (apples to oranges anyone?).... and to make matters worse the ringer article you yourself linked has Haliburton 17 spots ahead of Sabonis.
3) Highlighted that Sabonis is "only 26".... when Haliburton is 22 and improving while still years away from the usual "NBA prime".
4) Somehow made a presumption that Haliburton is a losing player and that Kings had no options to build around him and were destined to hit lottery with him.

I mean..... how?

For the record, I think Sabonis is elite.

1. Karl Malone MVP x 2
  2. John Stockton All NBA 1st x 2
  3. Adrian Dantley All NBA 2nd x 2
  4. Deron Williams All NBA 2nd x 2
  5. Rudy Gobert All NBA 2nd x 1
  6. Carlos Boozer All NBA 3 x 1
  7. Donovan Mitchell All-Star x 3
  8. Mark Eaton All-Star x 1
  9. Andrei Kirilenko All-Star x 1
  10. Mehmet Okur All-Star x 1
  11. Mike Conley All-Star x 1
  12. Ricky Green All-Star x 1
  13. Gordon Hayward All-Star x 1
  14. Jordan Clarkson 6th Man x 1
  15. Darrell Griffith ROY x 1
Above are the MVP, All-NBA, All-Star, 6th Man, and ROY awards won by Utah Jazz players earned while playing for the Utah Jazz (Not while in New Orleans, not before they joined the Utah Jazz nor after they joined other teams like Paul Millsap). There’s only 15 players on the list. If Lauri Markkanen becomes an All-Star this year it will be a pretty big deal in terms of Jazz history.

1. Karl Malone MVP x 2
Above are the MVP, All-NBA, All-Star, 6th Man, and ROY awards won by Utah Jazz players earned while playing for the Utah Jazz (Not while in New Orleans, not before they joined the Utah Jazz nor after they joined other teams like Paul Millsap). There’s only 15 players on the list. If Lauri Markkanen becomes an All-Star this year it will be a pretty big deal in terms of Jazz history.
I know you were obviously not listing all of their accomplishments but rather what they acheived in ascending order of impact/importance/notoriety, but I think Rudy DPOY x3. is arguably a bigger deal than All NBA imo. I think it should put him right under Malone for highest accolade level. Not for volume of accolades obviously, but for impact and status of the accolade.

I know you were obviously not listing all of their accomplishments but rather what they acheived in ascending order of impact/importance/notoriety, but I think Rudy DPOY x3. is arguably a bigger deal than All NBA imo. I think it should put him right under Malone for highest accolade level. Not for volume of accolades obviously, but for impact and status of the accolade.

Understood. I probably would still keep Stockton at number 2, but I can see legitimate arguments for Rudy at number 3, given his tremendous defensive accomplishments.

2x All-NBA 1st Team > 3x DPOY

It’s not particularly close either.

1. Karl Malone MVP x 2
Pistol Pete didn't win any award ? Yet he's HOF

Pistol Pete didn't win any award ? Yet he's HOF
Pistol Pete was All NBA 1st Team with the New Orleans Jazz. But in his only season in Utah he only played 17 games before being waived. I was only counting accomplishments for players while with the Utah Jazz, not New Orleans or other teams.

You are sometimes so eager to throw out hot garbage takes that you manage to baffle me. In those 3 small sentences you:
1) Somehow indicated that my post had anything to do with Sabonis. I simply said you dont trade away a guy like Tyrese.
2) Compared a center to a playmaking guard, and told us which one of them is having a better year (apples to oranges anyone?).... and to make matters worse the ringer article you yourself linked has Haliburton 17 spots ahead of Sabonis.
3) Highlighted that Sabonis is "only 26".... when Haliburton is 22 and improving while still years away from the usual "NBA prime".
4) Somehow made a presumption that Haliburton is a losing player and that Kings had no options to build around him and were destined to hit lottery with him.

I mean..... how?

For the record, I think Sabonis is elite.
1. Lmfao. If you are mentioning the Tyrese trade, Sabonis is included. He was the center piece of the return.

2. Sabonis is playing point center for the Kings bud. He takes 10 shots a game to score 18 points, 7 assist, and 12 rebounds. He's like the center version of John ****ing Stockton right now. His defensive metrics have also exploded, which was always the knock on him. I think he is very comparable to a playmaking guard at this point.

3. Yes, Haliburton is very good and will likely have a better career than Sabonis. I mentioned Sabonis's age becuase he isnt some geezer and he's having a career year. He can still get better.

4. I dont see how the Kings would have built around Haliburton. Keeping Haliburton would also have prevented them from their grand slam trade for Kevin Huerter. Fox's value had fallen and it would have been difficult to move him for a player to help them compete. It would have been them committing to another 2-3 years of sucking ***. All the credit goes to the Kings for excellent team building with their trades for Sabonis/Huerter/Signing Monk. They had a guard heavy roster so they traded the best one to get help on the front-line.

1. Lmfao. If you are mentioning the Tyrese trade, Sabonis is included. He was the center piece of the return.

2. Sabonis is playing point center for the Kings bud. He takes 10 shots a game to score 18 points, 7 assist, and 12 rebounds. He's like the center version of John ****ing Stockton right now. His defensive metrics have also exploded, which was always the knock on him. I think he is very comparable to a playmaking guard at this point.

3. Yes, Haliburton is very good and will likely have a better career than Sabonis. I mentioned Sabonis's age becuase he isnt some geezer and he's having a career year. He can still get better.

4. I dont see how the Kings would have built around Haliburton. Keeping Haliburton would also have prevented them from their grand slam trade for Kevin Huerter. Fox's value had fallen and it would have been difficult to move him for a player to help them compete. It would have been them committing to another 2-3 years of sucking ***. All the credit goes to the Kings for excellent team building with their trades for Sabonis/Huerter/Signing Monk. They had a guard heavy roster so they traded the best one to get help on the front-line.
Huerter was basically thrown at them because Atlanta wanted to stay under luxury tax and didn't wanna give him to an East team or any team they felt was gonna compete with them. It wasn't Kings being genious. You are probably right that if they had Haliburton and Fox that trade made no sense to them.. so they were right to add to their frontcourt.

But we will see how trading away Haliburton is gonna look like few years from now. My money is that Haliburton is gonna be a top 5 guy in this league, and if Pacers are able to add a few good pieces around him they will not only make the playoffs once but be perennial competitors in the East.

2x All-NBA 1st Team > 3x DPOY

It’s not particularly close either.
I said I recognized it wasn't about QUANTITY, but rather about LEVEL of the accolade and an argument can be made that a single season single accomplishment, like DPOY as one of the major single awards could be put above an all-nba 1st team. And yes an argument can be made for that. For the record I would not place Rudy above Stock based entirely on contribution to the org, but that argument purely looking at the level of the single accolade could be made.

I said I recognized it wasn't about QUANTITY, but rather about LEVEL of the accolade and an argument can be made that a single season single accomplishment, like DPOY as one of the major single awards could be put above an all-nba 1st team. And yes an argument can be made for that. For the record I would not place Rudy above Stock based entirely on contribution to the org, but that argument purely looking at the level of the single accolade could be made.

I don’t think anyone truly thinks DPOY is a better accolade than All-NBA 1st Team. That is so hard to attain. Proof of that is Rudy has never made All-NBA 1st Team yet is a 3x DPOY.

I don’t think anyone truly thinks DPOY is a better accolade than All-NBA 1st Team. That is so hard to attain. Proof of that is Rudy has never made All-NBA 1st Team yet is a 3x DPOY.
Your opinion has been duly noted.

This is a stupid thing to argue about.
Then why did you attempt to make it an argument?

Rudy 3x DPOY is an all-time accomplishment (I think only 1 or 2 others have done it. I can list over 50 players who've gotten a 1st team All-NBA award) and you're here being a freaking douchebag (once again) about it. Go figure.