What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

I wouldn't even trade Lauri and Malik for Gobert straight up. Man, we swindled the Cavs and Wolves

Little too early to say that. lets see if they can keep the 1 seed and make it further than Mitchell and gobert did in the playoffs.

1668977357742.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-INip034I

Nice hype video of Lauri, highlighting his play inside with a few nice breakdowns.

Mind boggling takeaways:
- Lauri is the 2nd most efficient scorer in the league (high volume shooter points per play). Wedged between KD and Steph
- Lauri is 79% at the rim, better than Giannis (74%)
- From 3-10ft he is 54% (same as DeRozan)
- From 10-16ft he is 66% and from 16-22ft he is 54% (those are true shooting numbers I assume)

Oh and btw.. we had a discussion about this @fishonjazz . While I was looking at that video, I was surprised to realize how many of those shots he actually created himself. I dont think the efficiency is just him being set up by the system or by others. He is using his length and newly found physicality to create plays. Hence the league #2 in And-1s as well, despite his lower volume (compared to established stars who are also getting more star treatment).

If Lauri is still doing this after 40 games, scoring 20+ with good splits and being good in defense... And this team would still be top3 to top 5... Then I would think it is settled Ainge is not taking other offers than same that goes for perennial all stars. He is one of the most talented scorers in this team, a giant wing standing 7ft tall, who is not "me first - others then". If he keeps this up it sets a good culture. If u have a star that is unselfish enough, its like a golden nugget for a team that wants to contend. If he is as someone capable to score so much, read to do everything for the team success instead of buffing his numbers, it is harder for others now and in the future to be dumb selfish guys on the floor. If the star/stars are like him, it sets a base for a dynasty. Keyword Warriors.
Yor really got the point. Lauri is very exceptional NBA-star. Real team player, I mean Team Player and so unselfish. That makes him so good. He cares about his team and teammates. He can stand for critism, guidance and comments and is only learning to be better player based on the feedback. All the stars cannot do that. Is it Finnish mentality? Yep, it is.

We are watching the birth of a unicorn, that is pretty damn cool! Really for the Jazz we have had a good 9 year run, we got to watch the emergence of a singular generational defensive talent, an up-and-coming all-star guard, and now a true 7-foot unicorn we only previously dreamed of. Not bad. Now if we can get a few good players around this unicorn and support his growth we could be on the verge of something really special.

I remember how people with the Bulls community once were complaining he is not getting blocks too much, and still isn't that much. I remember how I got into details how blocks look nice in the stats and can admittedly ignite the team like highlight dunks do... But contesting shots in defense is as significant or even more. If getting shots altered enough through contesting, it might lead even to a better net sum of defensive ratings. Blocks can end up going either out of bounds, to the opponents hands or to the defensing team. Two first options might bring back worse outcome than contesting shots hard, bc most of the times, out of their missed shots, the rebounds end up to the defending team getting the possession

And the above is meant to be a prelude for this:
https://saltcityhoops.com/markkanens-all-star-trajectory/

"Markkanen still has one of the highest numbers of rim contests in the NBA at 104, although since Dan’s tweet his percentage has slipped slightly: to 55.8% opponent shooting, still sixth lowest among players who have challenged at least 90 shots at the rim. This is a big jump from his previous years, when he allowed between 60.1% and 67.8% at the rim"

Have to remember his defense has also forced to some turnovers. My favorite one was when pg-13 dribbled the ball out of the bounds when Lauri locking him up in the sideline.

I remember how people with the Bulls community once were complaining he is not getting blocks too much, and still isn't that much. I remember how I got into details how blocks look nice in the stats and can admittedly ignite the team like highlight dunks do... But contesting shots in defense is as significant or even more. If getting shots altered enough through contesting, it might lead even to a better net sum of defensive ratings. Blocks can end up going either out of bounds, to the opponents hands or to the defensing team. Two first options might bring back worse outcome than contesting shots hard, bc most of the times, out of their missed shots, the rebounds end up to the defending team getting the possession

And the above is meant to be a prelude for this:
https://saltcityhoops.com/markkanens-all-star-trajectory/

"Markkanen still has one of the highest numbers of rim contests in the NBA at 104, although since Dan’s tweet his percentage has slipped slightly: to 55.8% opponent shooting, still sixth lowest among players who have challenged at least 90 shots at the rim. This is a big jump from his previous years, when he allowed between 60.1% and 67.8% at the rim"

Have to remember his defense has also forced to some turnovers. My favorite one was when pg-13 dribbled the ball out of the bounds when Lauri locking him up in the sideline.
A good example of blocks being overrated for defense is the fact that Rudy has consistently been the most dominating defensive player in the league but hasn't lead the league in blocks in years. It's because he is so effective that people stopped challenging him in the paint. They just veer away. Too bad there isn't a stat for forcing dudes to "nope" on out of there. Rudy would lead by a wide margin.

Doesn’t it seem like this Jazz team already gets more respect league-wide compared to the DM and Rudy team of the last few years? I don’t know if I should credit that to the Marksman or if I should offended as a Jazz fan for previous seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk