What's new

LDS Church fined for contributions to Prop 8!! HA!

KatieMCR

https://www.sltrib.com/D=g/ci_15254562

I told you all about the church making these contributions to Prop 8 on the old boad, and some chose not to believe me. Well is this enough proof for you yet?

This truly was The Mormon Proposition. What excellent timing for this news to come out. "8: The Mormon Proposition" is being released in theatres around the country next week, and in Utah this week. It's great to see the truth coming out. I look forward to seeing "8: The Mormon Proposition" again within the coming weks.

The agency has proposed a $5,539 fine

Sirkickyass probably spent more than that following the Jazz around this year. Non-story.

I told you all about the church making these contributions to Prop 8 on the old boad, and some chose not to believe me. Well is this enough proof for you yet?

This truly was The Mormon Proposition. What excellent timing for this news to come out. "8: The Mormon Proposition" is being released in theatres around the country next week, and in Utah this week. It's great to see the truth coming out. I look forward to seeing "8: The Mormon Proposition" again within the coming weks.

Sounds like the church is devastated about the fine:

"The church appreciates the fairness and consideration with which the Fair Political Practices Commission has addressed this oversight," LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter said in a statement. "In the last two weeks leading up to the election, the church mistakenly overlooked the daily reporting requirement and instead reported those contributions together in a later filing."

Moral victory.

The LDS church can hook itself up to electrodes, watch gay ****, and attempt to shock itself out of homosexuality as far as I'm concerned. Figuratively, of course, not like that horrendous Evergreen program they created and still exclusively refer 'cases' to.

It was once legal to kill a Mormon in America and now a 5 thousand dollar fine....when will the persecution end!

Last edited:
So the LDS church apparently made a small filing mistake, rectified it, and paid the appropriate fine.

I guess I'm at a loss as to what the story here is, and how this could possibly be construed as part of a cover-up (at least I think that's what KatieMCR is implying).

The thread title is misleading. They weren't fined for contributing. They were fined for reporting their contributions incorrectly. Fairly minor infraction from the sound of it.

Really??? Really?

You're just looking for a bone to pick aren't you???

The thread title is misleading. They weren't fined for contributing. They were fined for reporting their contributions incorrectly. Fairly minor infraction from the sound of it.

It does seem fairly minor. At the same time, it seems a little odd that they would wait months after the vote to report their contributions, especially when their involvement was mired in controversy throughout the campaign. I'm not speculating as to why they waited, just saying it seems a little odd.

It does seem fairly minor. At the same time, it seems a little odd that they would wait months after the vote to report their contributions, especially when their involvement was mired in controversy throughout the campaign. I'm not speculating as to why they waited, just saying it seems a little odd.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/700038678/LDS-Church-agrees-to-pay-Prop-8-fine.html

In its recommendation, the commission acknowledged the contributions were reported on a post-election semi-annual campaign statement that was filed on time.

After reading this second source it appears as if the LDS church did report the contribution in a timely manner based on the method and forms they used. It would appear however that they used the wrong method to report the donations hence the fine.

Just a good old fashioned mistake or willfully done? Who knows? The argument could be made either way.

While off topic, I read this and was amused by oxymoron here.

The church is for civil unions and equal rights.

Makes me chuckle about the thought that "marriage" is somehow a religious concept and why people feel the need to use separate phrases for the same thing.

I guess this separate but equal thing worked once in American history, right?

While off topic, I read this and was amused by oxymoron here.

Makes me chuckle about the thought that "marriage" is somehow a religious concept and why people feel the need to use separate phrases for the same thing.

I guess this separate but equal thing worked once in American history, right?

So if same-sex couples get civil unions, does that make hetero marriages uncivil unions?

https://instantrimshot.com

I told you all about KatieMCR's intellect on the old board, and some chose not to believe me. Well is this enough proof for you yet?