What's new

LDS general conference - Fall 2013

I may take some flack for this, but I have to be honest - last night's Priesthood session was probably the driest and least inspiring PS I've ever attended.

I'm not saying it was bad. But usually I leave feeling significantly uplifted by at least one speaker. Last night, not so much.

I may take some flack for this, but I have to be honest - last night's Priesthood session was probably the driest and least inspiring PS I've ever attended.

I'm not saying it was bad. But usually I leave feeling significantly uplifted by at least one speaker. Last night, not so much.

And just think, some women were protesting that they weren't allowed to attend! <buh-dump pshh>

I missed that one since I am a lapsed member and didn't see the talk. But I am glad he spoke to us in a meeting we would have never attended and so in a talk we would never hear. Means a lot.

Log bro, the talk was great. I think, from some of your posts I have read, you and I have similar attitudes and experiences toward the church. I really liked the talk. It was the first one I have heard in a long time that made sense to me.

When photoshopping, don't forget about lighting and shadows.

Actually the shadow on the jacket is pretty spot on. Likely just a fortunate (or unfortunate) screen grab.

Actually the shadow on the jacket is pretty spot on. Likely just a fortunate (or unfortunate) screen grab.

If you look at the fingers on the shadow, from left to right, they're all the same height. This conflicts with the hand casting the shadow.

It really doesn't matter... it was obviously done for humorous purposes, but the graphic designer in me can't help but nit pick bad photoshopping.

Another talk that stood out to me was Elder Scott's description of the stripling warrior's fathers. We hear a lot about the boys, and a fair amount about their mothers, but this was the first time I can remember someone going through what the experience must have been like from the perspective of the fathers. Thought that was really interesting.

How many are active?

Probably around 50%.

Not even close.

I believe it's around 30%....

And to technically be considered "active", you only have to attend a meeting once a quarter I believe. So whats the percent of members that attend almost every week....? Has to be considerably lower.

As the number of people on the roles goes up the number of active members increases as well.

Also not all inactives consider themselves no longer Mormon. I self identify as Mormon but I am not active. So perhaps it would be better to consider numbers of people who consider themselves Mormon v. active members.

Regardless of your personal stance on the LDS church and its theology it is interesting to see the growth of it.

Over 1 million members in UT. (01/2012 stats)

Over 500k in CA. (01/2012 stats)

Over 100k in NV, ID, WA, OR, AZ, CO, TX, FL. (01/2012 stats)

Over 10% of the population in UT, ID and WY. (01/2012 stats)

Over 5% of the population in NV and AZ. (01/2012 stats)

Over 1 million members (names on the membership roles) in Brazil, Mexico and the U.S. (2007 stats)

Over 1/2 a million in Chile, Peru and Phillipines. (2007 stats)

Over 100k in Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Canada, Columbia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Japan, New Zealand, Nigeria, United Kingdom, Uruguay and Venezuala. (2007 stats)

We are witnessing the birth of a global religion.

Been seeing a lot of "Doubt your doubt, before you doubt your faith" stuff on facebook. Kind of interesting that isn't that what missionaries are effectively asking investigators who are of other religions?

Been seeing a lot of "Doubt your doubt, before you doubt your faith" stuff on facebook. Kind of interesting that isn't that what missionaries are effectively asking investigators who are of other religions?

I wasn't personally a fan of that line. I think what he was saying, is "Be a critical thinker--of the criticisms too, not just of the faith". But that doesn't come across in that sound bite.

As a non-member, I have a question (and/or) observation that maybe you guys can shed a little light on:

As the church grows, that seems to be a huge feather in the cap of members everywhere. I see your growing numbers touted nearly constantly when LDS discussions pop up whether they be in person, or on message boards.

Now obviously, as believers in the LDS gospel, I'm sure the main source of your excitement is that you see others embracing the same gospel and are excited to see the numbers grow for the good of your fellow man.

However, I also see a side to it where people seem to take misplaced pride in it. Almost like, "We're growing at an amazing rate, which only reinforces my thoughts that my religion is the correct one."

While you want to see others achieve salvation, I would think that once you find what you know to be the truth, isn't that enough? Should your faith be shaken if the mormon church couldn't achieve membership over the 500k mark?

Obviously, not every mormon thinks this way. Just wondering if you guys see that as well, or if I'm just an outsider looking in who has no idea what he's talking about....

As a non-member, I have a question (and/or) observation that maybe you guys can shed a little light on:

As the church grows, that seems to be a huge feather in the cap of members everywhere. I see your growing numbers touted nearly constantly when LDS discussions pop up whether they be in person, or on message boards.

Now obviously, as believers in the LDS gospel, I'm sure the main source of your excitement is that you see others embracing the same gospel and are excited to see the numbers grow for the good of your fellow man.

However, I also see a side to it where people seem to take misplaced pride in it. Almost like, "We're growing at an amazing rate, which only reinforces my thoughts that my religion is the correct one."

While you want to see others achieve salvation, I would think that once you find what you know to be the truth, isn't that enough? Should your faith be shaken if the mormon church couldn't achieve membership over the 500k mark?

Obviously, not every mormon thinks this way. Just wondering if you guys see that as well, or if I'm just an outsider looking in who has no idea what he's talking about....

What you are seeing and talking about are two sides of a coin. As to my own personal beliefs it does not matter at all if more people join the church because I believe what I believe.

On the flip side there are prophecies in the scripture that talk about the future of the world and the future of the Lord's church and as you watch things progress in what you see in the world as well as in the church it can bring excitement, or just be interesting to talk about. It can just be informational, this is how many members we have, but generally there is meaning in numbers.

This is just my take and opinion.

I think some of them do.

I also think the church, thru its missionaries and members (family units), needs to reach out to inactive members. Now I am not talking about Home teachers showing up and bugging you at night. I am talking about the inactive family that lives across the street. Invite them over for a dinner or an afternoon BBQ. Get a feel for their needs and goals. Show genuine interest in them as people and not potential reactivations. Elderly inactive couple needs help with the yard? Sounds like a perfect project for the young men or Elders quorum.

I was once told by my DL that I was a bad missionary for not teaching a certain number of discussions every week. You should have seen his face when he came to church with his companion and I had half a dozen people with me.

Or the missionaries invite you to church and when they do they bring someone else. This was a favorite tactic of mine. If I was getting some guy to come to church and I know a particular talent or interest of his I would bring someone smiliar. Like another guy his age that is a fan of the same soccer team. Then ask them about that teams last game. Let them build bonds with the people of the church. Not the organization of the church...

The church is perfect but the people are not is a popular phrase. I agree to a point. But the people, in my opnion, are the heart of the church and need to be much better utilized. The reactivation will come in its own time when it is right.