What's new

Lest we forget.....

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
Many of us, me included, have been clamoring for the FO to do something, ANYTHING, to swing for the fences, to take a big gamble, and we said we would be happier knowing they tried rather than standing pat and expecting endless "organic growth" and "chemistry" to take us to the promised land of 1st round exits in the playoffs. We wanted a big move, something that showed they had a championship in mind.

And we got it.

They took a big gamble, and hung the fate of the franchise on the hope that an aging undersized nearly All-Star PG would be able to regain his former glory, recreate his career year, and guide us there, by filling the gaping hole we had at scoring, and more importantly shooting, at the 1 position.

They added some other really nice pieces as well, in Bogie and Clarkson in that mid-season blockbuster/steal of a trade that netted us our top scoring bench option in years for the corpse of DedEx, and gave us the top-3pt shooting team in the entire league.

We have weapons now and we really didn't before. Even Conley can be a weapon. So they took the swing.

So let us not forget that we asked for this. We clamored and bitched and moaned and begged for them to make a move just like they did. We said we would be happier failing knowing we tried than we would be if they just kept feeding us the ******** line of potential/organic growth/chemistry/endless assets year after year.

I am still pissed we didn't make another move at the trading deadline. I think nearly anything would be better than waiting for and hoping that Conley figures it out. I think we are legitimately one move away from truly contending. So yeah, **** them for again standing pat.

But I have to admit that, yes, I wanted a big move and I got it.

And I won't forget.

Actually, I think the evidence might be pointing to the fact that we need MORE internal/organic growth:

(a) the team is led by players who were obviously over-motivated to be included in a mid-season ****show called the NBA All-Star game. I see the follow through, lads.

(b) the team is still too soft. You play hard against them on-ball, and get physical with them off the ball, and (if they aren’t playing for an All-Star birth) you have an excellent chance against them. Every day that passes it looks like Houston, Denver, LAC, and LAL are all tough matchups.

Many of us, me included, have been clamoring for the FO to do something, ANYTHING, to swing for the fences, to take a big gamble, and we said we would be happier knowing they tried rather than standing pat and expecting endless "organic growth" and "chemistry" to take us to the promised land of 1st round exits in the playoffs. We wanted a big move, something that showed they had a championship in mind.

And we got it.

They took a big gamble, and hung the fate of the franchise on the hope that an aging undersized nearly All-Star PG would be able to regain his former glory, recreate his career year, and guide us there, by filling the gaping hole we had at scoring, and more importantly shooting, at the 1 position.

They added some other really nice pieces as well, in Bogie and Clarkson in that mid-season blockbuster/steal of a trade that netted us our top scoring bench option in years for the corpse of DedEx, and gave us the top-3pt shooting team in the entire league.

We have weapons now and we really didn't before. Even Conley can be a weapon. So they took the swing.

So let us not forget that we asked for this. We clamored and bitched and moaned and begged for them to make a move just like they did. We said we would be happier failing knowing we tried than we would be if they just kept feeding us the ******** line of potential/organic growth/chemistry/endless assets year after year.

I am still pissed we didn't make another move at the trading deadline. I think nearly anything would be better than waiting for and hoping that Conley figures it out. I think we are legitimately one move away from truly contending. So yeah, **** them for again standing pat.

And I won't forget.

Yes we did... I supported the Conley addition but wondered aloud... here on this site if the backcourt of Ingles and DM was just great and we should look to the wing and not PG. Turns out I was right... I'd expect our front office to be smarter than me... and they are I'm sure, but we make the moves too slow (caaakkkk bakkkking) and we are a little traditional with our thinking.

Also, once you make a move doesn't mean you need to be done... you can pivot off of things or make other adjustments based on how things are or aren't working. I'm glad we made a move... ultimately I think we will be better, but we didn't have to overpay on the one move we became hyperfocused on. When Memphis lead us on last trade deadline we should have given them much less than we offered at the time... it cost us one playoff run and a meaning sample of data. They wouldn't have done better than one pick and salary flexibility... we gave them two picks and didn't shove Exum in the deal... this was somewhat fixed with the JC deal, but now we have 3 small ball dominant guards and a guy that should be running point but is now forced into a different role.

I love that we have some good young prospects on the team, but if you never play them then it hurts you to have that many guys that are developing that you are unwilling to play. At this point I'd be happy with Quin running Morgan or Brantley out there instead of Niang and TB. Maybe they suck ***... and if that is the case then you need to cut them... but we love our own projects so we will stick with them too long even though they don't play.

We've got some issues... we've got the most limited of options to fix them... they should be issues that can easily be fixed.

Yeah I think most of us agree that the move they made wasn't the right one, or best one, or even an effective one. It arguably may have been all they could do, we don't really know.

This thread is more to acknowledge that they did finally make a big move. It will be endlessly debated and bitched about because that's what fans do, but at least they made a big move like we asked them to do.

Yeah I think most of us agree that the move they made wasn't the right one, or best one, or even an effective one. It arguably may have been all they could do, we don't really know.

This thread is more to acknowledge that they did finally make a big move. It will be endlessly debated and bitched about because that's what fans do, but at least they made a big move like we asked them to do.
But they burned the kak in doing it.

But they burned the kak in doing it.
Why are you "but-ing" me? I never said it was a good move. I said it was a ****** move. I didn't like it from the beginning.

But it was a move nonetheless. That deserves to be acknowledged.

this... I had some issues with it at the time but they sat on the Ricky, Rudy, Favs **** so long that I was happy to fail differently. I think it can be salvaged if Mike took the JC super sub role... but now JC is in there and getting buckets. If we could have moved one for a 4/5 that is an above average defender I think we can still be fringe contenders... but the 3 smallish guards on the wings neuters what should be a robust defense.

It's just that we do the big/right move 6 months to a year to late... which is almost worse... like hey I got this huge stock tip... you watch it skyrocket for 6 months then you strike... like you kinda need to get ahead of it. I'm big on "thin slicing"... like study things out but don't get into analysis paralysis. DL also would lock into guys in the draft and trade targets... sometimes you have to be more flexible and open minded.

Oh well... at least I have you dumbasses to commiserate with.

I want my kak and eat it too.
It was never supposed to be cake... it was always supposed to be soup... soup simmers and you add and adjust based on how things are going. You don't just mix **** up and throw it in the oven and pull it out in a designated time.

Let the soup simmer... add and adjust... sometimes throw it in the fridge and re-heat that **** and its way better.

Actually, I think the evidence might be pointing to the fact that we need MORE internal/organic growth:

(a) the team is led by players who were obviously over-motivated to be included in a mid-season ****show called the NBA All-Star game. I see the follow through, lads.

(b) the team is still too soft. You play hard against them on-ball, and get physical with them off the ball, and (if they aren’t playing for an All-Star birth) you have an excellent chance against them. Every day that passes it looks like Houston, Denver, LAC, and LAL are all tough matchups.
This is where my heads been at. The Jazz contention hopes this season have really always hinged on Donovan making another big step in his development, and frankly I don't think he has.

Until that changes the Jazz ceiling remains an early playoff exit.

And we got it.

And I won't forget.

I was thinking about this as well lately. We asked them to make some big moves and they went for it. Yes, we have some glaring needs and we are in a small funk right now but that doesn't negate the fact that we did in fact try to go all in.

I am hopeful we pick up a serviceable big man off of waivers but to act like the Jazz haven't been wheeling and dealing is asinine.

This is where my heads been at. The Jazz contention hopes this season have really always hinged on Donovan making another big step in his development, and frankly I don't think he has.

I think DM has been better this year... definitely has taken a step. Recently none of our guys are playing particularly hard... or smart.

Us being a contender rested on Mike helping everyone be better than they are... the whole being more than the sum of the parts. The opposite has been true.

I liked Mike, but hadn't really paid attention to him in great detail... thought he'd be more efficient with less usage and make everyone else more efficient... I think the idea of who he is, is not the reality of what I thought.

Trade everyone. **** it. Spida for the 1st pick. Rudy and someone else for the 2nd. Bogey for a 2020 and 2022 1sts. Tank the **** out of it. Hinkie style.

The 2nd seed and favorable playoff matchups really matter for the Jazz. Or, I mean, matter more than for most teams.

But, yeah, it’s looking like there aren’t a lot of favorable matchups anyway. This team has a higher ceiling than the Rubio-Favors teams, but it still has the exact same principle problem: if **** ain’t really clicking, then **** really ain’t clicking. And that’s not the kind of team to take into the playoffs as a 4th or 5th seed.

Donovan is a supremely nice guy, and he has an immense amount of talent. It is worth wondering if he’s got young superstar syndrome, which really seems to **** with your priorities sometimes.

Rudy is a monster. Easily among the franchises’ all-time greats. And a great guy. But it is worth wondering how far he can take a team into the playoffs with his skill set; and also when he’ll attain the right balance of motivation with respect to acknowledgment he feels from personal accolades and getting to the next level of nasty (i.e. leveling up and beyond that kind of recognition). He needs to be more Tim Duncan and less Dude With With This Same Chip On His Shoulder.

The big home run swing they should have done was go into free agency with hella money and swing all over the ****ing place

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
Not sure I would trust FO's judgment in making the right signing. now if we look back, the only real good signing we made in FA was Bojan.

We've waived Jeff Green for like three months and there's been zero team that want him. If we waive Ed right now and it might've been the same thing. We signed two players that no one else even want on their roster and well on their way onto retirement from the league.

At the same time, we passed up the likes of Holmes, Wood, Vonleh, Jamychal green, etc. All would've been great helps to our roster while costing us the same amount of money or even less.

The 2nd seed and favorable playoff matchups really matter for the Jazz. Or, I mean, matter more than for most teams.

But, yeah, it’s looking like there aren’t a lot of favorable matchups anyway. This team has a higher ceiling than the Rubio-Favors teams, but it still has the exact same principle problem: if **** ain’t really clicking, then **** really ain’t clicking. And that’s not the kind of team to take into the playoffs as a 4th or 5th seed.

Donovan is a supremely nice guy, and he has an immense amount of talent. It is worth wondering if he’s got young superstar syndrome, which really seems to **** with your priorities sometimes.

Rudy is a monster. Easily among the franchises’ all-time greats. And a great guy. But it is worth wondering how far he can take a team into the playoffs with his skill set; and also when he’ll attain the right balance of motivation with respect to acknowledgment he feels from personal accolades and getting to the next level of nasty (i.e. leveling up and beyond that kind of recognition). He needs to be more Tim Duncan and less Dude With With This Same Chip On His Shoulder.

We needed to have a favorable setup and some luck. We don't have the top end superstar talent, but theoretically had more borderline all star pieces. With us you always had to squint a little and say if things broke right... now it just isn't there.

Not sure I would trust FO's judgment in making the right signing. now if we look back, the only real good signing we made in FA was Bojan.

We've waived Jeff Green for like three months and there's been zero team that want him. If we waive Ed right now and it might've been the same thing. We signed two players that no one else even want on their roster and well on their way onto retirement from the league.

At the same time, we passed up the likes of Holmes, Wood, Vonleh, Jamychal green, etc. All would've been great helps to our roster while costing us the same amount of money or even less.

To be fair... I think most would have thought Ed was a solid addition... the Ed signing has hurt almost as much as the Conley struggles to be honest. Joe off the bench might have worked with Holmes/Wood or another player... maybe Niang is playable if we did better there. Jamychal was never available to us... he wanted to stay and got just as much as we could have offered to do so.