What's new

Let's show em' how it's done in Detroit tonight

As a Kanter supporter let me just say that I'd like to have him come off the bench. Start Booker.

Let Kanter figure out the defensive schemes against back ups. He'll like that more and let's just be honest, until Exum starts, the ball moves better with the bench unit.

This might work. I like the idea. Booker has both a defensive intensity as well as a sweet outside shot that would make him fit better into the stretch-4 role. The only issue I see with it is that there's some pretty solid chemistry developing in the Exum/Booker/Gobert trio, especially with Ingles as an extra facilitator. I think that bench group is meshing nicely.

Monroe is like what Kanter will be if he lives up to 100% of his potential. Monroe isn't anymore physically gifted, but is 10 times smarter.
Monroe could be a better palyer than Kanter but Kanter is way better than you think.
He is coming along well, with all those rebound numbers going slowly but steadily up.
He was, and still is special.
He has to blossom, though!
Jazz, as they are now, are the right place for that. Under QS, Jazz are a totally rejuvenated animal. They were frozen once under the guidance of TyCo like a siberian Mammoth but they are alive now.
I would go on and give the whole credit to proper coaching for this very good season start!
(and pls lemme add that Jazz can only be incrementally better than last year's team roster-wise)

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your basketball team (mandatory Hoosiers tribute)

Exum played 21 minutes . Trey 24. (per CBSSports) that's 45 total.
Was there a time that neither were on the court? If so, who played pg?

Exum played 21 minutes . Trey 24. (per CBSSports) that's 45 total.
Was there a time that neither were on the court? If so, who played pg?

In the first half, there was a moment when both Burke and Exum got 2 fouls each and Quin got them out. Burks and Hayward were playing poing guard and forward respectively.

https://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202683/tracking/defense/

kanters DFG % improved from 60 to 56 % after this game. I think he played very good defense against Pistons and the numbers are backing up. Kanter still has moments looking like a dumbass on D, because of it everything seems worse than it is. I think he will came along. It´s not easy for him to play defense at the 4 position.

https://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202683/tracking/defense/

kanters DFG % improved from 60 to 56 % after this game. I think he played very good defense against Pistons and the numbers are backing up. Kanter still has moments looking like a dumbass on D, because of it everything seems worse than it is. I think he will came along. It´s not easy for him to play defense at the 4 position.

Ya I thought he played pretty good defense last night too

How about Jingles? I'm really liking what he brings to the team. He has been to passive to start the season but he has been a nice piece for us. Defensively he is solid, no big mistakes, and plays great team defense. His one on one defense isn't great but it isn't bad either. His offense spacing is excellent, and so is his passing. He over passes right now but i'd rather overpassing then bad shots. If he can give us 6-7ppg and continue everything else that will be huge.

How about Jingles? I'm really liking what he brings to the team. He has been to passive to start the season but he has been a nice piece for us. Defensively he is solid, no big mistakes, and plays great team defense. His one on one defense isn't great but it isn't bad either. His offense spacing is excellent, and so is his passing. He over passes right now but i'd rather overpassing then bad shots. If he can give us 6-7ppg and continue everything else that will be huge.

I'm glad he's hitting open shots now too - it was only a matter of time before word got out on him and opposing teams started clogging the passing lanes - Jennings made a great anticipation steal on him last night; but Utah got bailed out with a foul.

And yeah, his defense is surprisingly good - he seems to be able maintain with very little athletic ability.

He should give 7ppg without much difficulty. Euro posters of JazzFanz like illyasova or ECTYA can provide more details on him, I'll say he can flat out score. As it became known to most of you already his ball IQ is off the charts. He'll make the right decision, be it passing or shooting the ball, rotating on defense or sneaking into
OR. You've already seen he can pass but he can score too. Well, NBA is a different level where consistency matters much, so we'll see how he'll do in the mid and long term. But at this point I'm shocked the Jazz managed to snap him. Perfect fit, rare skill set, exemplary attitude.

Impressive that Jazz got down after having the lead most of the first half and fought back to win. Now Jazz need to learn how to bury teams like this. We really let off the gas in the second quarter and let them get back into it, which gave them hope and fight in the third and fourth. I want to see Jazz bury some crappy teams who come out cold and keep them down the whole game.

He really seems to be taking a veteran role with the team too. You can see him talking a lot to the team during timeouts and free throws. It seems like he is becoming a veteran leader for the team even though its his rookie year in the NBA. Might have something to do with Exum on the team.

Although to be fair I dont know what he is saying.

I never got to it last night, but here's how the Detroit low post players fared against Kanter last night.

Monroe: 2/7

Drummond: 0/1

Smith: 4/8

Jerebko: 0/0

So he actually fared pretty well against the low post players. Lets check how he did against the guards when they penetrated.

Jennings: 1/2

KCP: 0/1

So in total, that's 7/19 which is 37%. So not nearly as bad as it seemed.

All stats came from NBA.com, and they are flawed…so remember, this isn't an exact science. It's just whichever player is the closest to whoever is shooting.

I never got to it last night, but here's how the Detroit low post players fared against Kanter last night.

Monroe: 2/7

Drummond: 0/1

Smith: 4/8

Jerebko: 0/0

So he actually fared pretty well against the low post players. Lets check how he did against the guards when they penetrated.

Jennings: 1/2

KCP: 0/1

So in total, that's 7/19 which is 37%. So not nearly as bad as it seemed.

All stats came from NBA.com, and they are flawed…so remember, this isn't an exact science. It's just whichever player is the closest to whoever is shooting.

It really doesn't paint the whole picture-- I think we gave up 18 offensive rebounds (yowza) and Kanter constantly got help-D from perimeter defenders, which left their perimeter players open to hit buckets. Fortunately, Detroit's shooters can't hit the broad side of a barn.

It really doesn't paint the whole picture-- I think we gave up 18 offensive rebounds (yowza) and Kanter constantly got help-D from perimeter defenders, which left their perimeter players open to hit buckets. Fortunately, Detroit's shooters can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I completely agree with ya man. Shows you how stats are flawed, and you really have to watch the game AND look at the stats to get the whole picture. Kanter's overall defensive numbers are still very bad.