What's new

Life - official thread

Oh man, so close to a golden month of May birth. She's going to wonder her whole life now what could've been had she been a May baby.
If birth month has anything to do with personality then my experience says to take June 100 times out of 100. I don't think birth month or horoscope has anything to do with anything, though.

Life.

I have tired of my job. Looking for a new one after this summer. Probably October.

Speak to me brotha. What's wrong? What's the job and why the displeasure?

I run a whitewater rafting company in Jackson, WY. There are a lot of reasons that I am tired of it, but the main reason is that I am just tired of dealing with the attitudes of the regulatory organizations and contracts we have.

We run three different stretches of river, all designated national wild and scenic rivers. One stretch in a national park, one on national forest land, and one on a county/blm permit basis. Then we have landlords (multiple), housing crises in Jackson, and just a lot of other stuff to maneuver.

I have been in my position for 6 years, and have basically maxed out upward mobility, as I am pretty much the ceo, and we are a small company. So now the question is whether I want to buy the company or move on. Too much to deal with in regard to buying the company, so I figure I should start looking somewhere else.

I run a whitewater rafting company in Jackson, WY. There are a lot of reasons that I am tired of it, but the main reason is that I am just tired of dealing with the attitudes of the regulatory organizations and contracts we have.

We run three different stretches of river, all designated national wild and scenic rivers. One stretch in a national park, one on national forest land, and one on a county/blm permit basis. Then we have landlords (multiple), housing crises in Jackson, and just a lot of other stuff to maneuver.

I have been in my position for 6 years, and have basically maxed out upward mobility, as I am pretty much the ceo, and we are a small company. So now the question is whether I want to buy the company or move on. Too much to deal with in regard to buying the company, so I figure I should start looking somewhere else.

How many hours a week are you putting in? Is it year round? Pay (if you're comfortable)?

How many hours a week are you putting in? Is it year round? Pay (if you're comfortable)?

I left my place of employment. I work as a sports performance coach and had some struggles with the owner and tried every way possible to resolve them but he was the most difficult person I have ever worked with. It is a real bummer since I liked the people I worked with and most things about it. But I was encouraged by a couple investors to leave and do my own thing. So currently I am trying to get my own sports performance facility in SLC open. I will be focusing on speed training but will have lots more going on. I am still looking for a location. I need a decent amount of space but would prefer if I could sublet from a current business or share space to keep overhead relatively low. If anyone knows of anything, let me know!

This summer is filled with "vacations" that I didnt necessarily choose to go on but feel obligated to go to.

My friend won Miss Hawaii so I am going next week to Vegas to watch her in the Miss USA pageant. I am sure ill find a way to make it fun but beauty pageants are not generally something I enjoy. Also vote for her here to help her win!
https://tkop.org/2016/05/03/vote-now-who-will-win-miss-usa-2016/
Her name is Chelsea Hardin

Next up I have a good friend who is having their birthday party at Harry Potter world. So despite never reading the books or watching the movies or caring at all about Harry Potter I will be taking my second trip to Harry Potter world in Orlando. I will have a lot of fun though. 8 of us are going and sharing a suite in hotel and will have a lot of fun. Also ill be the only guy so there is that.

Next Ill be in San Diego for a wedding that is going to be 3 days long and camping, It should be a lot of fun. They are really good friends of mine from Burning Man and it will be the first time ill be a best man at a wedding.

Lastly I have spent most my free time fixing up a 108 year old house that was in rough condition. I had an electrician and a plumber come in first and replace all the electrical and plumbing in the house. I then remodeled the front room and the kitchen. Next I cleaned up and put in movie room in the mostly unfinished basement. It is really creepy and cool down there since it is the old stone foundation as walls. It is a great place for a movie room. I am going to remodel the bathrooms next. I am having the roof redone soon and trying to decide if I want to put solar panels in. The attic needs the framing redone and there is tons of space up there and used to be a room originally but hasnt been used as such in at least 60 years. So I am going to frame it out and run electrical and plumbing up there and make a decent master suite up there. Ill have to post some pictures of some of the before and after. Ill figure out where those photos are.

I have been doing side work related to my job since leaving but I have also been doing random work. I started doing some acting since that is what my wife does part-time. I am going to be in some Brent Brown Toyota commercials as well as a slow the flow commercial that I think will mostly air at RSL games. Having done other acting stuff I decided that acting is not for me so I might retire soon. I did get to do some stunts as a zombie that was super fun, maybe ill do more of that if I can.

Its just a local thing but still fun
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arrowstorm/we-all-fall-down/description
the zombie at :49, 1:36 and a couple other spots is me!

That is mostly what is going on in my life right now. Oh it was my wifes birthday this last weekend and I organized 30 people to do a 3 hour long scavenger/treasure hunt bar hopping thing for it. It was pretty fun.

I left my place of employment. I work as a sports performance coach and had some struggles with the owner and tried every way possible to resolve them but he was the most difficult person I have ever worked with. It is a real bummer since I liked the people I worked with and most things about it. But I was encouraged by a couple investors to leave and do my own thing. So currently I am trying to get my own sports performance facility in SLC open. I will be focusing on speed training but will have lots more going on. I am still looking for a location. I need a decent amount of space but would prefer if I could sublet from a current business or share space to keep overhead relatively low. If anyone knows of anything, let me know!

This summer is filled with "vacations" that I didnt necessarily choose to go on but feel obligated to go to.

My friend won Miss Hawaii so I am going next week to Vegas to watch her in the Miss USA pageant. I am sure ill find a way to make it fun but beauty pageants are not generally something I enjoy. Also vote for her here to help her win!
https://tkop.org/2016/05/03/vote-now-who-will-win-miss-usa-2016/
Her name is Chelsea Hardin

Next up I have a good friend who is having their birthday party at Harry Potter world. So despite never reading the books or watching the movies or caring at all about Harry Potter I will be taking my second trip to Harry Potter world in Orlando. I will have a lot of fun though. 8 of us are going and sharing a suite in hotel and will have a lot of fun. Also ill be the only guy so there is that.

Next Ill be in San Diego for a wedding that is going to be 3 days long and camping, It should be a lot of fun. They are really good friends of mine from Burning Man and it will be the first time ill be a best man at a wedding.

Lastly I have spent most my free time fixing up a 108 year old house that was in rough condition. I had an electrician and a plumber come in first and replace all the electrical and plumbing in the house. I then remodeled the front room and the kitchen. Next I cleaned up and put in movie room in the mostly unfinished basement. It is really creepy and cool down there since it is the old stone foundation as walls. It is a great place for a movie room. I am going to remodel the bathrooms next. I am having the roof redone soon and trying to decide if I want to put solar panels in. The attic needs the framing redone and there is tons of space up there and used to be a room originally but hasnt been used as such in at least 60 years. So I am going to frame it out and run electrical and plumbing up there and make a decent master suite up there. Ill have to post some pictures of some of the before and after. Ill figure out where those photos are.

I have been doing side work related to my job since leaving but I have also been doing random work. I started doing some acting since that is what my wife does part-time. I am going to be in some Brent Brown Toyota commercials as well as a slow the flow commercial that I think will mostly air at RSL games. Having done other acting stuff I decided that acting is not for me so I might retire soon. I did get to do some stunts as a zombie that was super fun, maybe ill do more of that if I can.

Its just a local thing but still fun
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arrowstorm/we-all-fall-down/description
the zombie at :49, 1:36 and a couple other spots is me!

That is mostly what is going on in my life right now. Oh it was my wifes birthday this last weekend and I organized 30 people to do a 3 hour long scavenger/treasure hunt bar hopping thing for it. It was pretty fun.
Damn bro. Sounds like a lot of fun!

I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want to buy out the owner. Can you expand on it?

Buying rafting companies is typically pretty inexpensive, but the rafting companies in Jackson Hole are pretty expensive, because of a few reasons. Minimum buy in for the smallest company would be at least $1mm. That does not leave a ton of room for profit. I have thought about buying a rafting company in Idaho or Utah, and that might be an option, as those are usually 1/4 the cost up front, and have lots of growth potential.

The company I am at is pretty close to capped out as far as growth goes. Since I became the GM in 2011, we have quadrupled business, in both revenue and quantity of business, as well as expanded to two new stretches of river. In order to grow any further, it would be necessary to buy a smaller company.

Buying rafting companies is typically pretty inexpensive, but the rafting companies in Jackson Hole are pretty expensive, because of a few reasons. Minimum buy in for the smallest company would be at least $1mm. That does not leave a ton of room for profit. I have thought about buying a rafting company in Idaho or Utah, and that might be an option, as those are usually 1/4 the cost up front, and have lots of growth potential.

The company I am at is pretty close to capped out as far as growth goes. Since I became the GM in 2011, we have quadrupled business, in both revenue and quantity of business, as well as expanded to two new stretches of river. In order to grow any further, it would be necessary to buy a smaller company.

Gotcha. What you've said makes complete sense and from the little I know and what you've told me, Idaho/Utah and do seem like better business opportunites. Good luck brotha.

Out of curiosity, how much pushback do you get because municipalities are concerned about boaters polluting the waters with cans, plastic, etc.? I used to do a 12 mile canoe trip every summer and I know the places out here stressed no pollution.

Gotcha. What you've said makes complete sense and from the little I know and what you've told me, Idaho/Utah and do seem like better business opportunites. Good luck brotha.

Out of curiosity, how much pushback do you get because municipalities are concerned about boaters polluting the waters with cans, plastic, etc.? I used to do a 12 mile canoe trip every summer and I know the places up this way stressed no pollution.

Hilarious that that cesspool of a state can say that with a straight face.

Out of curiosity, how much pushback do you get because municipalities are concerned about boaters polluting the waters with cans, plastic, etc.? I used to do a 12 mile canoe trip every summer and I know the places up this way stressed no pollution.

I have heard that about rivers back east. Boaters out here are really great about that stuff in general, they tend to carry out what they carry in. We also have a couple community river clean up days that everyone participates in. I suppose it has a lot to do with all the national parks in the area, and people wanting to preserve the beauty. There is a lot of environmental education pretty much everywhere you turn.

Another thing about life:

My daughter started crawling this week! She is 7 months old, and is super cute.