What's new
  • This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

Lobsters are Sentient

NAOS

Apparently the UK has passed a law that protects sentient animals. And apparently lobsters are among said sentient animals.

To be fair this refers mostly to how the animals are treated as they have been determined to feel pain, so they need to be kept and slaughtered humanely.

Still found the basic premise to be interesting. Apparently according to their rules, an animal must have a complex nervous system and be able to feel pain to be sentient. I always thought the bar was a little higher than that.
The bar should be set much lower.

Rubashov

2019 Award Winner
Apparently the UK has passed a law that protects sentient animals. And apparently lobsters are among said sentient animals.

To be fair this refers mostly to how the animals are treated as they have been determined to feel pain, so they need to be kept and slaughtered humanely.

Still found the basic premise to be interesting. Apparently according to their rules, an animal must have a complex nervous system and be able to feel pain to be sentient. I always thought the bar was a little higher than that.

Now Im looking buying seafood. thanks

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
This thread is a pretty good place to mention some really good sci-fi books that sort of kind of are related to this.

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

and

Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky

I listened to the audiobook vs reading them and the narrator is awesome, so if you're into audiobooks this is a good one for that.

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I don't think this means that you can't eat lobsters in the UK, it just means they need to be treated humanely which probably means cooking them alive isn't okay.