What's new

Lockout!!!

https://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/33289/union-makes-big-move-without-polling-members

So the union felt that the players might accept the offer had it been put to a vote. So the elite few decided that their interests are what truly matter, not the interests of the average player. Too bad CJ's racism clouds his message. There is something seriously wrong with those people. Look at Delonte West, who made 14 million in 7 years, and doesn't have a penny to his name. I would rather see the NBA gone than continue to support those idiots who feel entitled to hundreds of thousands of dollars in jewelry, for playing a children's game.

So this ought to close the window on the Spurs and Celtics, probably the Mavs and Lakers too. I think the players should have taken the deal. I don't see the validity of their legal claims. If I'm an employer, I have the right to offer whatever contract I'm able to in order to run a stable business. I guess the players feel that there are artificial restrictions being placed on the market for high-value players. However, the NBA is basically a monopoly. There isn't another league the players can realistically play in with comparable pay.

Players shouldn't feel entitled to a league that caters to them and makes them superstars so they can demand even more money as a result.

You don't know what to expect from this process??? Well, I guess that makes sense, cause if you DID know what this process would lead to, you wouldn't be doing it.

Do any of these players have any idea what they're doing? It's like a bunch of toddlers were just introduced to Ayn Rand...

nobody knows what to expect at this point: “It is impossible to predict what is going to happen,” said Gabe Feldman, a sports law expert and professor at Tulane.

but they do know that after giving the owners back 7% of BRI they still couldnt get a deal that didn't dramatically hinder Free agency and wasn't a slow road to the end of guaranteed contracts...it can't get worse in court.

Also, do you guys realize that because the leagues proposal would have taken salary over-runs from the next years cap, that basicallly big-market teams that could afford the luxury tax would have been able to lower their competitors cap space?

Limited talent pool. If your skills are in demand enough, you get a much greater abilitiy to decide where you want to live.

Unless you're the guy (or girl) signing the checks, then, save anything illegal or immoral, you usually have to fall in line w/ their requests. No one's forcing these guys to play in the league.

Unless you're the guy (or girl) signing the checks, then, save anything illegal or immoral, you usually have to fall in line w/ their requests. No one's forcing these guys to play in the league.

Yes, if you are under contract with them. When you become a FA though, you should be FREE to choose your location of work (given people actually want you).

Yes, if you are under contract with them. When you become a FA though, you should be FREE to choose your location of work (given people actually want you).

They are free agents in the NBA world, but not to the profession of basketball. They can choose to play wherever they want to play basketball, China, Europe, South America, Japan, NBDL, Slam-Ball, bets on H-O-R-S-E.

Restrictions as to where they can play in the NBA have little to do with their options to live where they want and earn a living.

If they are to be truly "FREE" to work wherever they want in the NBA, then there can't be ANY restrictions on salary-cap, bird-rights, contract length, etc. All the stars would play in NY, LA, Chicago, Miami, etc. All the other teams would be garbage.

The owners are robbing the players and all anyone wants to talk about is the Bird Mans Tattoos.

Speaking of tattoo's....here's the skinny:

Tattoos have a curious history

1850 - 1900 - Tattoos used to be the bastion of carnival freak shows, with people flocking to the circus to see the amazing tattooed Lady.

1900 - 1950 - Tattoos in the early 20th century indicated a Sailor or Marine. In these cases, they did not have any social stigma, except that tattoos were generally indicative of enlisted men. Few Navy or Marine officers dared to draw on their body.

1950 - 1960 - In the early 1950's, tattoos became popular with the criminal element, mostly outlaw bikers, social outcasts and the mentally ill. It was during this time tattoos took on a more ominous reputation.

1960 - 1990 - This was the age of "prison tats" where having a tattoo indicated to some people that you were a tough, ignorant, convicted felon.

1990-2008 - Today we see hordes of low-class young people drawing on themselves with free abandon, (almost 30% of people in the 1980's). These people do not understand that a tattoo may effectively prohibit them from pursuing a professional career, regardless of their other qualifications.

Today, a prejudice still exists within corporate America about tattoos, especially since there is a clear and direct correlation between income, education and the percentage of those populations who have tattoos. It's no surprise that tattoos are more popular among the poor and under educated.

Don't kid yourself about the importance of hiding or removing tattoos. If you look at middle management and above in any of the Fortune 50 companies, you will hard pressed to find any managers that have tattoos, hidden or otherwise.
Corporate Dress Codes and tattoos

A study by Careerbuilders shows the perils of tattoos for aspiring professionals, and confirms the conventional wisdom that tattoos are a sign of immaturity, bad judgment and bad taste:

Over 42 percent of managers said their opinion of someone would be lowered by that person's visible body art. Personally, I think that the actual figure is much higher.

Three out of four respondents believe that visible tattoos are unprofessional.

You don't have look hard to find hundreds of corporations which have banned employees with tattoos. San Bernardino County California, bars all employees from wearing denim, having visible tattoos, and any piercing in the nose, lip, or tongue that contains jewelry.

In sum, tattoos send a message to corporate America that you are ignorant, low-income, that you have have bad taste, and worst of all, that you may have a criminal record.

...oh, one more thing: Did you know that over 80% of the American prison population is tattooed, while only 15% of the general population has tattoo's?

Last edited:
tribjazz Brian T. Smith
#UtahJazz weren't represented during today's #TheNBPA meeting. Also told another Western Conference team wasn't.

tribjazz Brian T. Smith
#UtahJazz weren't represented during today's #TheNBPA meeting. Also told another Western Conference team wasn't.

This is appalling. For that matter, Duhon tweeted Orlando would accept the deal. This was a clearly organized effort by the union to demand their sheep march in line. There was clearly no effort made to actually canvas their constituents to decide if a vote should be held. Might as well not have union members.

players may wake up once the accountant calls and tells them they have to sell a car or two and the summer home has to go, the furs and the wife has her jewlery taken away. or maybe not because i am sure most of these players since the graduated from school will just become lawyers ,doctors,fireman or police officers to fill there money needs.

And somehow, the reputation of both agents and unions get even worse. The players are being dangled overboard by their representation for the good of representation.

****ing vultures.

We don't know for sure the exact outcome of today's decision by the NBA Players Union, but you can almost bet on this: "A national survey found that someone's earnings potential goes down MORE than 40% with a visible tat!"

players may wake up once the accountant calls and tells them they have to sell a car or two and the summer home has to go, the furs and the wife has her jewlery taken away. or maybe not because i am sure most of these players since the graduated from school will just become lawyers ,doctors,fireman or police officers to fill there money needs.

Come back when you have half a clue what is going on here. I MENE GO MILLERRSSS!!!1